Ron Hewett resigns as Brunswick County Sheriff

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 04/16/2008 - 1:58am
Updated: Wed, 06/10/2015 - 11:19am

BRUNSWICK COUNTY — Ron Hewett is no longer Brunswick County’s sheriff. He resigned Tuesday. Hewett had been suspended but was still technically sheriff pending the outcome of a May removal hearing. Now he’s out, and still faces two criminal investigations. Some say this was expected — it was just a matter of when. Regardless, suspended Brunswick County Sheriff Ron Hewett had his attorneys turn in a resignation letter late this morning. It’s effective immediately. The letter was quite short. Hewett wrote: “I hereby resign my position as the sheriff of Brunswick County effectively immediately.”

After receiving the letter District Attorney Rex Gore withdrew the petition to remove Hewett from office. According to County Attorney Huey Marshall, everything associated with the petition goes away. Coroner Greg White continues as interim sheriff. There are still four state criminal indictments against Ron Hewett. Despite Tuesday’s resignation letter those indictments remain. Hewett also remains the target of an ongoing federal grand jury investigation. A call to the US attorneys office yielded a “no comment” today.

What’s next for Hewett

Despite today’s resignation, Ron Hewett’s legal problems are far from over. White will continue as acting sheriff. The county commissioners sent a letter Tuesday to the local Democratic Party, requesting the group nominate a replacement. They have 30 days to do so. Then it’s back in the commissioners hands to approve the nominee.

• taxpayer says:

Dont get to happy. I bet he resigned so he could get his retirement at 55. If he was suspended he would have lost his retirement. maybe if he is found quilty he will loose his retirement. check it out

• Southern Born says:

Goodbye Ronald: your resignation will probably insight more abuse by many to dance in glory at your demise, a fallen sheriff who once carried 70% percent of the vote

For your comrades who pushed you into the arms of justice after having walked that path with you hopefully they will never be placed in a situation where they will be required to choose between the law and doing what is right if so hopefully they will be men enough to accept their responsibility and resign before burying their sudden morality into the next poor slobs back.

For those of us who believe in Santa Clause hopefully we will get at least 18 resignations Or Terminations by Christmas, true justice would place them directly across the cell block from you. hopefully the message sent here is follow the law: not set the situation up to cover ones A@@,

So I appeal to the citizens if we are to have true reform then lets start by purging any and all involved in this embarrassment to our county after all he did hire them, and if his judgment is that clouded then how can we have confidence in them.

So please do not honor these cowards of fate, but demand and praise their demise as we have Ronald Hewetts….

• contingency14 says:

Dear Guest 5000,

Looking at what you said, let’s clear up a few things. First and foremost, Ronald Hewett put himself in the position he is in, he has no one to blame but himself. However you are right about one thing, “this is what is wrong with society”, people like Hewett, Gause, Gore and a whole mess of others in this county who think they can do as they please.

You stated “this man has a wife and children”, what you forgot to write is they were on the take too. If Mr. Hewett had been, like so many other men in Brunswick county a stand up man, his wife and children would not be in this situation.

Yes, many of us to “know how stressful” being a police officer is, we have family and friends in law enforcement and no one in law enforcement needs the added stress of a drunk boss who makes sexual comments to them and degrades the black community. Please do not ever compare or use Ronald Hewett in the same sentence as the brave men and women who ran into the Twin Towers, he is a coward, they were hero’s.

If you are ashamed to live in this County, then move. Brunswick County is a good county who cares about their law enforcement and will not sit back and watch them be abused this man.

You are right about “the only one we have to worry about being judged by is God” and he is not a happy camper with Mr. Hewett’s behavior right now and I am sure that plays greatly only Hewett’s mind.

I truly wish for your sake any of us give a darn that “we are not scoring points with Hewett” finally it is safe to say that in our county.

The evidence has been posted on the net for weeks. I suggest that you start reading and listening to what is going on and wake the hell up. He is a criminal, he is going to jail (or at this point he has made a heck of a good deal) but the bottom line is his “power” is gone, thanks be to God (and the good folks who stepped forward to prompt an investigation)

Dont think the feds will make him much of a deal. I think they will find him a nice cell to spend alot of time in. If he has any brains, he will flip like a burger on a hot grill. Other wise he is going down for the count.

• GuestLOL says:

BRILLIANT!

• clearheaded says:

How do you think those officers felt that took an oath of office to up hold the law and then they were laying rocks in his driveway, or digging stumps, or clearing land. How do you think the people of Brunswick County feel about paying for this work. We were paying him 100.000 plus a year. Also the rest of us work to buy our childrens cars, and gas, and send them to school. Why should we pay for his childs car or gas. yes I’m sorry this happen to him and his family, but it sounds like they all took advantage of our tax dollars. Should we do this for the all county employees?

Wouldn’t those “tapes” be the evidence??? And about his families hearts breaking, what about the hearts of the families that he has ruined with all of his “dirty work”? Do they not matter? I agree with you on one thing, it is very sad.

• Gene says:

Your heartfelt comments ring of honesty. Don’t feel so bad about what appears to be a very negative thing.

You are right in this is a sad situation. It is very sad when one that is held with such a high trust breaks that trust and thereby even the hearts of many. But there is another side of the coin. Too often people truly feel, “if it were me they would throw me under that jail” when they hear of someone with power and influence accused of wrong doing. All to often it seems that the average and the weak are dealt the full measure of punishment when they break the law but see those with advantage, money, or power get off all together or with just a slap on the wrist.

I believe many that seem to be so happy are delighted not that this man fell but at the reality that this time, the advantaged, the person of power, was treated just like the rest of us. They are delighted that justice, at least in this case was in fact blind. That is the way it should be.

We are all created equal but many times not treated so. People are happy to see the equality of this. In their surprise and gratitude in a system that worked, this time, they may get just a little over whelmed.

While it is a very sad thing to have a bad cop in our midst. It is a good thing to clean it up.

• Glenda Goedde says:

AMEN, I AGREE 100%

The Bible says: Judge and you shall be judged.

I have and will continue to pray until I die for all the people of N. C. I love you.

• Jerry says:

Why resign unless you guilty of something..I mean if your innocent then dont you all think he would fight the allegations against him tooth and nail…Yea Ronnie has got some ghosts in the closet alright…What else has he been up to..And as far as his retirement goes..He should not get a dime if he was found guilty of crimes while Sheriff..I hope Brunswick County is smarter than that…!!!

• still a friend says:

I am so glad my family and I moved from Brunswick County. If this is how citizens treat a dedicated public servant like Ronald Hewett, I no longer want to say I’m from Brunswick County. I know that, no matter what Ronald is charged with, he has never acted with criminal intent. He, Julie and his family have sacrificed over the years in order to cater to the citizens of Brunswick County. I have known Julie all my life and went to school with Ronald. Throughout the years neither have lost their morality, Christianity or humanity. I”m sorry to say that the Brunswick County government and employees of the sheriff’s department have. Just remember, you reap what you sow. It will come home to you . . . hopefully sooner than later.

• How do you think those officers felt that took an oath to uphold the law then found themself laying rock in his driveway, and digging stumps, and clearing land. What about we the taxpayers who payed them to do his work. We were paying him 100.000 + plus a year. what about how do you feel about having to pay for his son’s truck and gas to go to school. Should we not do this also for all county employees? I think they all took advantage of the hard working taxpayers.Don’t you think his wife and son and the rest of the family knew what was going on. Don’t you think she knew he was in no condition to drive drunk. Why did they not do something about it? No I don’t feel sorry for any of them. I’m just glad that they have been stopped!

• As American as You are says:

Have you spent one minute in the shoes of any law enforcement officer in Brunswick County, or heck… Just asked one of them? Unless you have lived with this black spot on the tie of every law enforcement officer in the county hanging over you, you are completely unqualified to make such a statement.. This man has terrorized his officers and other department’s officers for years.. All the while, breaking the laws he swore to uphold.. We’ve watched it, been powerless to do anything about it for fear of losing our families’ livelihood, and basically been made to sit in the middle and suck on it… Now, the wheels of justice are turning in our favor and YES! We’re tickled to death over it! Today’s justice system is flawed. But imperfect as it is, it’s the only system we’ve got ’til someone comes up with a better one.. I for one, am proud to herald the demise of an evil empire.. Good Riddance!

• Not me says:

There are exactly three of you who may still support him, I think…
    No LEO with any sense, or more than six months experience would support this fellow for a job as a garbage man.. As you reap, so shall you sow.. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

• thinking of you Ronald says:

Yes tonight I am thinking of you Ronald. I am thinking of all the times you have been asked about the drugs in our county and were told “we are waiting for the big man” even when everyone knew where the crack houses were you did nothing but bust small time dealers [if there is such a thing] I think of all lives that have been taken from us the mothers that cry for their children, the kids that have lost their parents, the loss of good people that will never be able to be what they could be. You always said call me I did, Your advise was “we are waiting for the big man” Well guess what? I think my waiting is over.

• Brooke says:

If the allegations are true it is cowardly to bully employees and threaten them with their jobs, it is cowardly and wrong to interefere in investigations for political reasons, and it is shameful that a Sheriff would betray the trust of the people who elected him. Being happy with the Sheriff for leaving is not what’s wrong, it’s the Sheriff’s ACTIONS, if proven true, that are wrong, the feeling that he is above the law. He isn’t, no one is. I think his friends and co workers were honest and very brave to have done what they did to bring this issue to light. If you expose corruption how is that wrong? And, one more thing, this man put himself through hell, no one else did.

• driver says:

I guess Ronald is reaping what he sowed?????

• Kay says:

poor Ronny. Hope you got some good life lines out there to send you money in jail to buy stamps and honeybuns.

• concerned from BSL says:

Who was the “MAYOR” of BSL when Emmett Ballree was hired as Chief and were there other qualified canidates? What was the vote count?

• WilmMan says:

Hewett has been the best Sheriff BC has had in 30 years. If the Sheriff’s Office promotes from within a new Sheriff, you guys will be in BIG TROUBLE

• Time for a change says:

I agree. I’ve told them where my son was getting drugs from years ago. They told me
    they knew the drug dealers and I’m like why in
    the hell don’t yall do something about it.My
    son told me he asked one of the drug dealers,
    why did’nt they ever get busted with all the
    vehicles going in and out of there. They said,
    “Ronald has already been paid that month”.I
    guess that’s why. Maybe we will seen a change
    before other lives are ruined. I hope they
    lock his a@@ up for a long time. He’ll have
    plenty of time to think about what he’s done.

Good bye

• Justice says:

I agree with the statement that you reap what you sow… that is why he is gone. It came back to him. They sacrificed alright, to the tune of over 100,000 dollars a year. By the way we are glad you moved 2. Stay put. Don’t come back.

• BravoYes says:

BRAVO!!! Well said! I too agree!

• Contingency14 says:

To who ever you are, God bless you. That was very well said. What Hewett took away from this county cannot be measured in dollars and cents, only in heartache.

So who ever you are, again God Bless you.

• WilmMan says:

I believe this was the act of several men…but only one got caught. We will see a lot more come of this from the Federal investigation and don’t be surprised if you find out that several deputies holding different capacities within the department are found guilty of something

• Contingency14 says:

Dear Still my home,

We are glad you moved also. We do not need people who think the behavior of Ronald is good.

So good luck to you in your new home.

• Contingency14 says:

God bless all law enforcment officer and keep them safe.

I think the clean up in Brunswick County is going to clear that black mark on your tie, do not worry. We love you and need you to do your jobs…well, maybe not the ticket part.

You men and women do a good job (except a few that will soon be hanging with the ex-sheriff)

Have a good and safe day.

I can’t say if Ron is guilty of these accusations or not. It’s not my place. I can tell you that a person in his position, facing the charges he faces is up against a tremendous amout of pressure. Ever heard of the , “You can either resign, or we will fire you. How would you like your record to reflect?” Look at the resignation letter, It is one fundamental sentence, “I resign…”. You get the government on your back and your enemies pointing the finger at you, you’ll realize very quickly how deep things are and how helpless you may be to make sure the truth comes out.

I read a lot of deep seated resentment against Ron Hewett with some really mean and malicious comments being recorded. I really doubt that 5% of you have ever even met the man. You use these posts to hide and beat a man with a baseball bat that you don’t even know. I personally don’t know him but have great sympathy for his situation. Sometimes I think the “Scarlet Letter” lives on in our modern, yet incompassionate society. “The voice has changed, but the breath still smells the same!!!”

• Guest Commentater says:

[quote]
    he has never acted with criminal intent.
    [/quote]

Do you pull your head out of your a$$ on odd or even days? Yea he’s fixin’ to reap alright…

• Contingency14 says:

Do you not think we are already in big trouble?

• gene says:

A committee was put together by town manager David Lewis. Joan Kinney who was mayor at that time was on that committee with David Lewis. No other persons from the then town council had any say whatsoever on the selection of Ballree. So, one could put the hiring at the feet of Kinney and Lewis. However, that does not change the fact that since the hiring, the new Mayor and council have put their heads in the ground and ignored this matter. So, they all are guilty. Kinney and Lewis for doing it, and the rest for ignoring it!

• I.C. THROUGHIT says:

Let me just note here again if I may that there is more one than one way to steal from the county. I’m sure many have observed as I have BCSO employees who do not appear to be overworked. They have time and energy to party together on Friday nights when I sure as heck don’t. At least Ron had them working! As for Justin…I’m as okay with my tax dollars paying for his gas, car and school supplies when he is going to Law Enforcement Basic Training school as I am with my tax dollars paying for school supplies for other students. I have bought and donated school supplies each year and continue to do so. Let me just add here that I’m much happier paying for Justin’s school supplies than for some kid’s diapers or daycare who will grow up to be another reason for this country’s downfall. You all could use some of his work ethic. He’s still a boy. With a little time and patience he’ll be a better man than any of those who are blabbing now about all the bad stuff he “done”. If those who would have him indicted weren’t such jealous zealots, they could have just told him he was wrong. Instead they try to get him indicted. What a bunch of role models! Not!

I do read and I do listen – why are you so willing to believe that these officers were doing yard work for him, or anything else – because they say so. How do you know Rex Gore hasn’t promised them raises, or perks or anything else for that matter. How do you know the “facts”?

I had three family members run into the Towers – a brother in law who spent two weeks straight in the city 24/7 – who now has nightmares because of it – I know what hero’s are thank you.

I just don’t think anyone should be judged – the justice system will do what it should – I am not going to say anything further and let it go. I just hope that all of the people who are having fun slamming his family – never do anything wrong in public and have to face what his family is – whether he is guilty or not.

• gene says:

I’m sorry I did not respond to your question on how many applied. I am almost certain the State Port Pilot reported the number and I have forgotten it. I asked someone else today and they said they could not remember but it was quite a few, whatever that means. Sorry, I can not help more than that.

• Guest 4321 says:

I agree about them working for him while they were on duty; it’s a shame. They should be able to sit on their backsides and do nothing! They could work for our State DOT;those shovels get uncomfortable when you have to lean on them and how much do they get paid. Oh, how about all those jailed and in prison? How about catered meals and pillowtop mattresses for them ?

• Gene says:

I just got off the phone with the person that told me how to research this stuff on the web. He said he was told (by Kinney) at least 20 applied. It may have been a few more but he could not remember. But he said it was at least 20! I asked him to come forward in this blog but he said he could not. However, he did say, if Kinney and Lewis were asked they would have to say at least that number. I understand this is a “he said, she said” thing, but I do believe him and if the simple question was asked by the people of BSL or the press, the answer then would be known!

• GuestBeaconFriend says:

When someone does now have an argument,
    they bring God and Christianity in as
    a crutch! Man did all of this, in
    FACT one man Mr. Ronald Hewett did.

• BRUNSWICK COUNTY RESIDENT says:

MMMMM I’LL BET THE FEDS ARE COMING TO TOWN. RESIGNING WONT HELP YOU HEWETT, THE TRUTH WILL. I’LL BET THERE ARE SOME OTHER HIGHER UPS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT THAT ARE *RAPPING THEIR PANTIES RIGHT ABOUT NOW…

You must be smoking some of “Ron’s Popcorn”!!

• smokeytwo says:

Just plea down the charges and don’t get stuck with any felonies and you can run for sheriff again. There is enough support to put you back in power at the next election. Myself and a large part of the leo comunity still have faith in you. And say hi to TK for me.

Sucks to be you!

• NASCARFAN says:

This is the BEST most WONDERFUL news I have heard all day??? So what is going to happen with the big Varnamtown cook out you idiot supporters were doing for him April 26th at Varnamtown Park? Cancelled? Save your money!!!!

I guess you better enjoy your home sweet home for now…..pretty soon it will be a jail cell! Hopefully they will throw away the key!

• Sandy says:

I hope you can afford socks to wear on your arms to keep from freezing to death while you’re in jail..I bet you’ll wish you didn’t keep it freezing once you are in your own jail..

• Hunter says:

Wow, What great news!!
    Well I guess now most of you know that your good ole boy Ronnie is guilty. There is too much against him and he knows it. That’s what he gets for trying to ruin good, honest hard working, dedicated people’s lively hood and their families. All his evil schemes have come back to bite him where it hurts.
    It was probably smart for him to resign because if he didn’t he would only look worse than he already does.
    I got great joy seeing him in court a few weeks ago with his head hung low. It looks like the life has been sucked right out of him. He is pathetic and it is about time the tables turned on him.
    For those of you who have thought he was so great he sure did have all of you fooled. You made it easy for him to manipulate the citizens of Brunswick County and he took all of you for granted. Open you eyes people and see him for what he really is……Read the affidavits so far against him. He’s done a lot of bad things to the people of Brunswick County as well as his deputies who unfortunately had to work under him.
    It makes me sick to think he was ever a part of the Law Enforcement community.
    He should be ashamed of himself. He’s a disgrace to the Law Enforcement Family and all of you who supported him.
    The Democratic Party should use caution in who they appoint as his replacement. Make sure it is not someone from his last administration because you’ll only get someone just like him.
    Good riddance Ronald E. Hewett. Now you know how all those people felt that you did wrong. Hopefully the FEDS will get you too.

• contingency14 says:

ARE YOU ON SOMETHING?

• oldnews says:

OK.. Hewett is gone. now let’s move on to something else !

• Guestbeaconfriend says:

JUST REMEMBER WE NEED A SEQUEAL TO THE RONALD
    HEWETT MOVIE JUSTICE ON THE BIG SCREEN>

Sorry for the damage to your family by
    a man that was paid to protect it. Do
    a NC victim case with the State of NC
    see if you can get damages against him.

• Gene says:

Excuse me but the letter of resignation was signed by Hewett and not the press. I did not see the press do one thing other than report the news as it happened. Not one time did I see or hear a word from the press on Hewett’s guilt or innocence.

On the other hand, many of we bloggers, including myself posted our own personal thoughts and beliefs. Get a copy of the constitution. You will find Americans have the right to express their opinions. You will find it under “freedom of speech” and “freedom of expression”.

Further, today’s event and Hewett voluntarily submitting a letter of resignation only addresses the petition to remove him from office. He (not the press or bloggers) elected to resign. He had the right to a hearing on the matter and that hearing was going to be forth coming. Again, he elected to forgo that hearing. On that matter, it is over now.

You are right, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty, IN A COURT OF LAW and he will have his day in court. Again, the press and/or bloggers have no say in that whatsoever.

He may even in fact get yet another day(s) in court if and when the Feds, return an indictment.

Lastly, I must submit and ask, would anyone as close to retirement eligibility as the former sheriff just throw their hands up in the air and quit, if the allegations against then were untrue and unfounded? Any reasonably intelligent being would think not! By the rule of law he was scheduled a hearing whereby he could raise his hand, take an oath, take the stand and explain himself. He, elected to turn and run. There may be many things that will never be answered because he, took the back door rather than cooperate. He does have this right and I support his right to do so. I do not for an instant blame anyone else for his election to do so however.

In another matter, he is not the only high ranking LEO in this county to “duck and run” when allegations of misconduct have arisen. The current Chief of Police in Boiling Spring Lakes did the same thing in the Town of Mt. Olive, NC. When accused of pumping gasoline in a family vehicle (his son’s truck) using the town credit card, he resigned his position as Chief of Police in that town. The town in turn never followed up with any criminal proceedings. To this day, a full investigation has never been conducted and the town of Boiling Spring Lakes hired him fully knowing this. According to the State Port Pilot, former BSL Police Chief Richard White turned this information up in a background investigation and turned it over to the town. If you would like to know more about the person BSL hired as their “Top Cop” (and there is plenty more) it is very simple. Just do a google search for Emmet Ballree, Mt. Olive. Want more? Check the Federal Bankruptcy records.

Every citizen deserves to rest easy in their home knowing those that “protect and serve” are honest and above board. Those that are at the top tear in law enforcement, like the Chief of Police, should be beyond reproach.

The Town of Boiling Spring Lakes, that Police Department, and the good citizens of that town live under a cloud of doubt and uneasiness today. Ballree did like Hewett and just walked away at Mt. Olive. Not until the allegations are fully investigated and answered will the cloud disappear. However, do not hold your breath for the town to do anything about it or the Chief to answer the allegations. Why should he? The town obviously did not care that he was accused and he elected to run rather than to cooperate in a fair investigation. Did Ballree learn anything from his Mt. Olive troubles? It so far appears he learned not to put town paid for gas in a personal car. Problem is, he at Boiling Spring Lakes has been seen driving the town car for personal business with his family in the car! Back to that reasonably intelligent person, that person would say it is the same thing! Either way, tax payers money is being used for personal gain. Some may say, you can’t blame anyone for taking advantage of what is given them. There sadly may be some truth to that.
    But the Mayor, the Town Council and Town manager turning a blind eye to this, is improper and wrong and we can blame every single one of them!

• Guest from bc says:

Hi Ho Hi Ho it’s off to jail you go.

Thank God, your finally going to pay the piper. Hope you take all the rest of the trash with you. Everyone knows that you did not do this yourself Ronald, everyone knows.

Do the right thing, tell the Feds everything you know and right the wrongs you have done.

God will bless you if you do.

• Guest28462a says:

Maybe a coke?

• a friend who seeked your help says:

well let’see how clean our DA’s office is. I am referring to what kind of deal he gets [Ronald] or [Ronny]. Will they go behind closed doors and cut a deal or try him like he deserves? He should have to spend some time in the prison atmosphere he created in a county jail.

Well, Well, it is nice to hear from someone with experience to how cold the jail house is. How much sense does it take to know that the wonderful Capt Holden is the one in charge of the jail. And yes It will be just as cold the next time your there.

• samson says:

I really don’t see how anyone can be “happy” about this situation. It is very sad on so many different levels. I guess people just don’t understand. All involved is going to be affected. Right on down to their children. I pray for everyone involved. It is a sad day.

How very sad that everyone is so happy to see this man go through hell. THIS is what is wrong with society today. This man has a wife and children and their hearts are breaking. Does anyone know what a stressful job being a police officer is – giving yourself to public service, not being there through storms when your family needs you, being first responders at the World Trade Center tragedy – I think not. I am ashamed to being living in a county with so many heartless people. The only one that we have to answer to and be judged by is GOD. I don’t think any of you are scoring points with him right now. I want to wait and see what the evidence is, what great people his so called friends were for taping him – that is not brave – it is cowardly. So sad.

• Justice says:

I don’t think you will be seeing him on the ballot again. Nor would he have enough support to win. Your faith is misplaced. Find a new hero to worship this one is a wash out.

• Guest 2008 says:

Wow! What a bunch of great Americans! Whatever happened to “innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?” You have made yourselves judge and jury already. I am not a supporter of Hewett, but I am a supporter of the justice system. It may not be perfect, but it is what we have made it, and as Americans, we need to honor that system. It is up to the courts to decide his guilt or innocence. Not you, or the media.

While the news has made me SO happy, the reality is that in this county he will probebly never see the inside of the jail. Maybe we’ll see him cleaning up the highway.As a whole we need to evaluate how the fallen high and mighty are punished. Hopefully the Feds will step in and real justice will be served. How many others will fall with him? There have to be some nervous people in Bolivia. As we all sit here reveling in this, let’s not forget that there are a lot of honest and hard-working officers are here working for us.

• Ireland's Ghost says:

Oh Ronnie boy, the door to your cell’s closin’.
    From first to last, your crimes were told to all.
    Your friends are gone, and the good old boys are foldin’.
    ‘Tis you, ’tis you that they’ve pinned to the wall.

But come ye back when you’ve paid your dues in prison,
    And when a new Sheriff’s come to power.
    And I’ll stay here in Brunswick County
    Oh Ronnie boy, oh Ronnie boy, ’tis your final hour.

And if you come, when all the folks are votin’
    And I’m long gone, as gone I well may be
    You’ll find the county where I’ve been livin’
    A better place, for those who live here, free.

And I shall hear, a new voice say “Hey buddy.”
    And I shall watch it all on my T.V.,
    A Sheriff, who’s hands will not be bloody
    And I shall see a real hero come to be.

I’ll simply sleep in peace, now that you can’t fire me.

• Guest from Brunswick County says:

Please ask for help, Sheriff Ron. Alcoholics Anonymous will welcome you if you will face and admit that you need and want help, snd that alcohol is a problem. I pray for you. I wish I could help you, and perhaps this note might reach you. I am so sorry for you and for the people you’ve worked with, because I think the problems probably are caused by an addiction which you may or may not wish to face. I truly admire you as a good person who tried hard to do your job, and I am very proud of you for the many good things you’ve done for Brunswick County in the 6 years that I’ve lived here. Many of the people I’ve talked with share my sorrow for all of the problems you face, and the problems that others have had to face under your employ. But, perhaps it can be faced, and wrongs can be amended with those people, and especially, I hope you will heal. Please know that many people do care about you, Ron Hewett, and we pray for you and your family for help and healing.

• QTPI says:

What he did was wrong, he has resigned. No need to be nasty. The legal system will try him and hopefully he will be frighteningly honest about everything (which should make quite a few people who worked for him and who gave him up so quickly just a wee bit nervous). I have a feeling there is going to be an enormous need for glass as some of the other houses are probably going to be coming down by the time the last stone is cast. There is not enough soap in this county to clean the dirt off of all those hands.

I guess I can see why some of you are trying to support him still.. after all, you live on his end of the county, you went to school with him, you go to his bbqs… the rest of us are looking at fact not the illusion of what he has presented himself to be. Officers are under so much stress already, why should they be subjected to abuse too? How can they effectively protect and serve if they are constantly fighting for their jobs. They DESERVE better. Bullying is a problem. It has to be stopped! This is one step closer for our officers. If they are not harrassed and bullied they will be a better asset to our community.

• catchmeifucan says:

This is a sad day in brunswick county, Yes I agree if R. Hewett was in the wrong, he needs to face it. which is does sound like he is definently in the wrong, but for all these people to just blast him is really sad. What happen to the thing called intervention. Why didn’t his co-workers just all get together and try to talk with him. You know it had to be hard for the co-workers to (I say) betray him, be his friend to his face, and then turn right around and back stab him. I am not for R. Hewett at all, I knew he was not on the up and up. Its just really sad that people are so harsh. but you know what comes around goes around. To laugh at someone else misfortune, shame on you. Lord forgive those, because they do not know…..

• Former Brunswick County Citzen says:

I think that the cases he was involved in during his position as sheriff should be retried or at least reinvestigated. How can you have an honest say so in any criminal investigation if you yourself are a criminal, “even if it is innocent until proven guilty.” Don’t that apply to all the citizens that are not in the positions to manipulate the law enforcement system. Brunswick County what are you going to do about that? Truly his judgement in any case should be questioned, YOU THINK!!!

• Guest old man says:

well let me get my two cents in there with the rest”..
    Small men do small things and regret”, large men do large things and have no regret”..
    Unless they are caught”…

Ron was almost a national figure in his works to start with, too fall so far from the pulpit of the office is a sorrow he will never get over”..and a shame he canot out live.
    I am glad that I don’t have to walk in his shoes one step”..If he ever had any pride, I am sure he has hit the bottom of the barrel now”.. He will live in the hell of his own mind forever”.. I pitty him..

• I.C. Throughit says:

Because I know some of the deputies who signed the Complaint against Ron Hewett, you can bet your puppies, the whole litter of ‘em, I’d rather have Ronald Hewett drunk, on Ambien, or any other condition, than them. What a sorry lot to be judged by! God have mercy on us!

• contingency14 says:

Dear I.C. Throughit,
    I.m glad you would rather have a drunk man running our Sheriff’s office, because now you can have him all to yourself.

No one has said that the men and women who turned him in were perfect, but they nor anyone else should have to put up with the mess that hewett was dishing out, no one!!

You judge those who took Hewett out to be a sorry lot? what do you judge Hewett to be? Did you listen to the tapes? Did you read that he mimicked a black women in front of the entire staff? imagine for one minute how she must have felt? If he did not repect the black men and women who worked for him, how do you imagine that he felt about the black community at large? What about his remarks about the women who worked for him? do you think he felt any different about the women of our community? What about the children who where sexually assaulted and he would not even defend the smallest and weakest of our community, you still think this is good?

By your writings I can only assume that you share the gene pool with Hewett, but for those of us who do not share that gene pool (and some that do) we are disgusted and appalled at his behavior and do not want someone who feels that way running our Sheriff’s department.

• Guest1979 says:

I also know many of the people who signed the complaint. As a matter of fact I went to school with several of them, and at lest one of them is family. I think they are brave and deserve some respect for what they did. No person should have to go thru what they did, and I think you are sorry for judging them. God have mercy on you!

• NASCARFAN says:

Okay People; I just got the Brunswick Beacon (Brunswick County Gossip Book) this morning! It says that OUR money was paying him $108K a year!!!!!!!! OUR MONEY! I am a taxpayer, pay my taxes on time and own 2 homes in Brunswick County. I am 30 and have known Ronald since I was 12 through the Dare Program at Shallotte Middle.

What I wonder is if he is an alcholic and it listed it somewhere in the paper when all this came out that he was having his deputies buying Burnett’s Vodka….why wasn’t he going for the gusto and buying the good stuff like Grey Goose????? Making $108K a year living large and gonna be a cheap drunk???? LOL:) I am sorry I don’t make anywhere near that and sometimes I even have to splurge to have the Goose! He should have it every day and night if he wanted! I guess he was trying to conserve money!!!

By the way what happened to the Ronald Hewett website was up? Now when you try to go to it it goes to a different site; did you idiot supporters finally believe all these allegations are true????? It’s about time; have you all seen the light????? Good for you!

• Contingency14 says:

Dear Girl From Longwood,

Sometimes I just wish people would stop and think before they write, yours is such a case. Why would you punish and entire department of loyal, hardworking men and women? Do you know that all of them are bad? Do you know that all of them steal? Lie? No, you do not.

Have you been close enough to hear what two officers are talking about when they are parked? Do you know if it’s their break? Do you know if its their lunch? No, you do not.

You know nothing of them and what they do or do not do, have done or have not done. So please, get informed before you shoot off your mouth.

• girl from longwood says:

I think that if Ronald is removed ,the whole department needs to be replace ,one officer at a time.I am sure that all of the others have dirty little secrets that haven’t been told yet.Oh and I don’t see a difference in a parked gossip session among officers /donut break and the yard work that was done.It’s all on company time …face it .It’s like moldy bread…. if part is moldy then the WHOLE LOAF is bad.

• skulldrag says:

so what you are saying is that you personaly know each idividual deputy and employee of the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office and that you have proven facts that each person at that office needs to be replaced for all the hard work that he/she does? That the employee is not entitled to a lunch break or 15 min break? Like moldy bread the whole loaf goes bad? So its like if one person in Longwood is a crackhead, everyone one from Longwood is a crackhead and should be in jail?

• FORMER LEO says:

I AM A FORMER LEO AND WITH THAT BEING SAID I SAY THIS. IT IS OUR JOB TO UP HOLD THE LAW AND THAT INCULDES ORDERS FROM OUR SUPERVISORS. IF THEY ORDER A BAD ORDER THAT IS AGAINST THE LAW IT IS OUR JOB TO REPORT OR ARREST THE OFFICER. NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID IN THE CASE THAT WE DO NOT REPORT IT OR TAKE ACTION AGAINST THE ORDER IT IS US WHO IS HELD RESPONSIBLE ASWELL AS THE ORDERING OFFICER.

MY VIEW IS THAT MANY DEPUTIES BROKE THE LAW AND THE CREED OF JUSTICE. FOR THE DEPUTIES THAT BROKE THE LAW ALONG WITH HEWETT I WOULD LIKE NO MORE THAN JUSTICE TO BE SERVED ON ALL.

• Guestof leland says:

i agree im not a leo but i do work beside them and they do drive crazy.there windows are tinted way to dark and they do get away with just about anything. i do think it is time for a change.if normal people cant do it with out being taken to jail why should they

• Guest 317 says:

I am sick of seeing off duty deputies riding around with ilegally tinted windows and drinking beer in there cars. Ron Hewett is not the only one at fault here.Deputies driving 80 and 90 down U.S. 17 going to Wilmington while off duty with their friends and families. They need a leson taught to them that they are not above the law! Wilmington vice and narcotics has the same moral problems ( too much loose cash not making it to the evidence room! Thank God for the good cops!

• SkullDrag says:

Where is your factual basis for those comments guest 317? You say its a off duty deputies riding around in cars with illegal window tint and drinking beer. How do you know that its a deputy and drinking a beer when the windows are tinted so dark to be illegal? You must have super human vision to see through the tint and your super human tint-O-meter reader is telling you its illegal and your super human beer finder is telling you that the person in this car behind tinted window is drink a beer and not a cola or a bottled root beer. And you are telling us that while you are driving up hwy 17 obeying the speed limit of 55 like all good citizens do, you can tell that the drive of the vehicle passing you at 20mph faster is a off duty deputy? And you also say “thank god for good cops”? According to your comments, a good cop does not exist.

• whatever says:

What someone does when they are off duty is none of your business…..How do you know if they are Deputies? Unless you are ONE or just tring to start something. In all honesty your comment makes “NO SENSE” what so ever…SO please stick with FACTS instead of tring to spread “RUMORES”

• I.C. Throughit says:

Remember that adage “People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.” LOL Sounds like “no one’s been watching the store.” Ron couldn’t clean up all the crime in BC by himself you know. At least when he had those deputies painting signs, laying stones, watching his driveway be poured, etc. they were doing something. I’ve called 911 to report suspicious activity at an intersection known for drug traffic. A deputy was sent, and guess what? She never got out of her car. She just sat there and watched until the vehicle in question pulled off. I was on the phone with a neighbor, while another one watched from the her front yard. We all saw it. I’ve called for law enforcement before 911 came in existence and had one of the deputies who signed the famous manifesto respond, not once, but several times with similar results, except he’d get out, shoot the breeze a little, pat the offenders on the back (not pat them down) and drive off. The same community took matters in their own hands and put a stop to it. Does any of this sound familiar BC. Sounds to me like at least a few of them did something to earn their paycheck when Hewett put them to work on his campaign signs and his driveway. You know there’s more than one way to steal from the county. What they’ve done is not called embezzelment. It’s called SLOTH. And it is one of the seven DEADLY SINS. So you know what I think? I think the deputies have a higher judge to answer to than Ron Hewett, the county commissioners, or Rex Gore.

• Elaine Buff says:

I see that there have been two checks written each for $46,500 from Hewett’s campaign finances to lawyers in January, I believe. My family would like to have such monies available to go after him and the county in a lawsuit. Anybody want to donate money for us and the other people wrongly served during his tenure?

Mr. Hewett and all the others who were involved in Davina’s death on Bald Head Island can spend all the money for all the lawyers they want, and they will never be able to escape the one judge that matters.
    “You will pay them back what they deserve, Lord, according to the work of their hands.” Lamentations 3:64.

• gene says:

Ms Buff,
    My heart aches for the pain and loss you have suffered. Will all the truth over this sad event ever be known? Painfully, you know the answer to that is no. I am sure you will never be at complete peace unless the perpetrator(s) decide to get right with God, and come clean with a confession. The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Department made sure of that when they allowed the Bald Head Island Fire department clean away any chance at finding any forensic evidence at all. Why was this done? Was it because Hewett was on the take? We don’t and will never know. Was it because BHI has such an influence from tax base that they could request and get this from Hewett? We will never know.

I am sure the never knowing will haunt you the rest of your live. But know this. One that was culpable in the destroying of possible evidence is now on the other side of the law and charged!

The next step would be for the D.A. that has stood behind Hewett and his own reckless ignoring of the facts will be next.

I hope you and yours can receive a small amount of closure with the knowledge that at least one in the band of thieves has been taken down.

I believe the time is ripe for the culling of weeds. And I think that recent events may cause this to come about.

God bless you and your family.

Gene

• Guest1970 says:

This man was on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The $108,000.00 salary that everyone is having such a fit about only averages to about $12.00 an hour. And for all you “haters” out there with all your glee of seeing someone else suffer, I feel sorry for you. You know the only perfect person I’ve ever known of died on the cross. Maybe you should take a look at your own families before concerning yourself with hurting someone elses. Thank God I’ve never wished harm on anyone. Not even a enemy of mine. Get over yourselves already.

• gene says:

Was that an even $12 when sober and an even $12 while drunk? Or, did he get more per hour sober, say, $18 sober and only $6 drunk?

• Contingency14 says:

I seriously doubt that Hewett even came close to working 24 hours a day. Oh, one more thing? Your statement “Maybe you should take a look at your own familes before concerning yourself with hurting other” Would’nt it have been nice if Hewett would have considered his family before hurting others?

Hewett brought this all on himself…he wanted it, he got it. It’s his cross to bear. We trusted him, payed him a good salery and he cheated us and treated the very people we trust to protect us and our families like dirt.

So you get over yourself.

• little napoleonnie says:

I’ll be back. I get you and your little dog to.First you get the money then you get the power. When you get the power then you get the …..crap beat out of you( or fall out of a tree stand.) Just remember to pay your child support…ooops did I say that.

• WHAT? says:

WHAT CHILD SUPPORT? HIS KIDS ARE GROWN.

• Guest28422g says:

I think there will be some mothers filing
    for child support since the under the table
    money will stop. Need to change the last name
    to Hewett.

• OMFG!!! says:

OMFG!!! I don’t have an inside connection anymore!! What am I going to do now???

• Chris says:

Education Mount Olive College, Bachelor of Criminal Justice Administration, Mount Olive College.
    Community College of the Air Force, Associates of Criminal Justice, June 1996
    North Carolina State University, Administrative Officer Management Program (AOMP), October 2005
    USAF Air University, USAF Senior NCO Academy, October 1999
    USAF Air University, USAF NCO Leadership School, November 1989
    Experience
    · Police Sergeant, Crime Scene Investigator Supervisor, Master Police Officer, Patrol Officer. Responsible for serving the public and supervision of assigned personnel, enforcing laws and protection of property and lives. (1993 – 2004)
    · Gastonia Police Department Vice Narcotics Agent. (1992 – 1993)
    · Master Sergeant (E-7) USAF Law Enforcement Specialist. Flight Chief, Superintendent of Investigations. Responsible for managing, supervising directing the activity of 125 Law Enforcement personnel. Provide Security to SJAF and its 92 thirty three million dollar each aircraft, along with its 20,000 residents. Insure proper investigation of all cases on the instillation that were in violation of state law and/or the UCMJ. (1981 – 1991)

• GuestinWhiteville says:

The Brunswick County Democratic Party chairman has released the names of 12 people who have put their names in the running to replace former Sheriff Ronald Hewett.

They are Jennifer Fisher, Franky Thomas, Willie Sloan, Walt Willis, Jerry Dove, John (Billy) Ingram, Sam Davis, Kyle Jones, Doug Todd, Elizabeth (Rendy) Lewis, James Contreas and Wiley Snow.

The committee will meet at 10 a.m. May 10 to make its choice. Anyone who meets the qualifications to serve as sheriff may attend and be considered for the post, according to a news release.

• I.C. Throughit says:

From your writings I assume you have all the information necessary to make a judgement. Maybe you can save some taxdollars by issuing a verdict and foregoing a trial since you seem to know it all. From your post I’m guessing you share a bed or a gene with some of the deputies or Mr. Ramsey. Which is it?

• Ms. Longwood says:

Wow…SkullDrag, I can promise you that you would not go to Longwood, in the Quarters and repeat your statement that everyone in Longwood is a crackhead. BCSD is not all bad but its not all good either. They are afraid to come to Longwood by themselves. We are just like every other community. Some of the hardest working Brunswick County citizens reside in Longwood. I know because I am one. The media only shows the negative side of Longwood, never the positive. Please do not stereotype us. Instead why don’t you donate your time or money to help the children of Longwood to have a place to play or help us build a community center so that they can see that their are other outlets other than drugs.

• SkullDrag says:

If you can’t stand the heat, don’t play with the fire. You stated the “…whole department needs to be relaced, one officer at a time”, “…it’s like modly bread…one part is bad..the whole loaf is bad”. You are telling the WWAY viewing audience and the bash or support the law enforcement fans that the “WHOLE” (I assume you mean each and every individual employee of the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office), office needs to be replaced because of a few “moldy slices of bread”. So you implication is that one is bad, they all are bad….same goes for everything in this world then. Example: one person is the quarter is a crack head = everyone in the quarters is a crack head…its an area in Longwood = everyone in Longwood is a creack head = everyone in Brunswick County is a crack head..and so on….It’s probably a good thing that you failed out of BLET because law-enforcement doesn’t need you anyhow….Thank YOU very much….

• girl from longwood says:

Skulldrag,
    Blah blah words words, I’m not a crack. Are you? And do you know all the officers? The gossip session, that I’m talking about is longer than a lunch break. Sorry to bust your bubble! I have seen law-en-forcment, from the training side, and I saw enough that I didn’t want any part of it. By the way I’m not a crack head just because I live in Longwood, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

I cannot believe Hewett is able to spend money from his campaign funds for legal defense. Well, he can spend all he can for all the lawyers he can but …

Lamentations 3:64

• Charles Walters says:

Just another sign he knows he has been caught and his guilt is coming to light.

• Guest 1234 says:

Okay, now that Mr. Hewett has resigned; he needs to talk about all the others involved. I believe they are scared and are hoping that he never makes it to a jail cell. As for myself, if you are going to take out one bad apple; then you need to remove them all. He is no more guilty than the ones that allowed him to continue the allegations against him. If you were an average citizen, more heads would be in front of the media.

Guess what Charles? If you live long enough you will see worse than that come down. But then again haven’t you already been around long enough to see “real criminals” in this county go to prison? Herman for one.

• Lee says:

I guess he decided the publicity was too much and it was best for the residents of Brunswick County if he resigned. He has been tried and sentenced before he has a trial in the eyes of alot of people. Remember that corruption is not usually a one man/woman game. Others need to be held accountable for their participation in his downfall. I hope they all are named and their reputations are ruined like Hewett’s has been. I am in no way a supporter of Hewett’s, but I think that he is not alone in corruption in the Sheriff’s office.

• one love to ya says:

wow………..are you scared Ronny? you were already embezzling so you should have continued drawing the paycheck………..hope the family has a nice savings account…..now you have to pay for services…….i am sure thomas wright is waiting on you so you all can discuss your past embezzlement schemes…….

• kimberly says:

We will be praying you , and your family.

• GuestLB says:

I am still in shock that all of these things have happened, and sorry that it all came out the way it has. I must be too trusting because I thought the (former)Sheriff was an upstanding man, at least until recently. I will pray for you and your family.

• Hunter says:

Pray he goes to jail because that’s where he belongs.

• Justice says:

Good riddance. Now you know how all those people felt when you cut there career short. How the mighty have fallen.

• guest415 says:

You’ve set others up and made them resign after ruining them on the front pages so now it truly has come full circle. I pray someday you will apologize to me and to my family and set the record straight – C

• Chuckles McHewett says:

After all the good cops you tried to destroy by pulling their careers out from under them…

Look at ya now! Do you think you’ll enjoy prison? Buh-Bye!!!!

• Elaine Buff says:

Thank you for your comments. They are thoughtful and very kind. And they are right on the mark. I wrote the book about my sister to do just what you suggest should take place. My sister was human, she had her faults just like everybody else. But she tried to do her job to the best of her ability as fairly as she could – which was not wanted where she was. Money and power are supposed to bring privilege in some places. It was bad enough that my sister was murdered, but this was done to a police officer, one of their own. That is despicable. Very few people have walked in this family’s shoes. Your words are welcome and much appreciated. There will never be much closure, but there is coming a day when, as the song says, “What goes on in the dark, comes to the light.” I know Dee is safe and can’t be hurt any more. I want the people responsible for hiding the truth held accountable if we never find the killer. The ‘hiders’ are more guilty to me than the one who pulled the trigger. And the fight to see that happen will never stop as long as people like you and others care about right and wrong. The culling is necessary to protect the very fabric of this country and its safety for anybody.

• GuestTanya Buff Hart says:

Thank you very much! THAT was perfectly stated. People like you have helped our family get through this ordeal along with Divine Intervention.I am now beginning to believe that JUSTICE DOES PREVAIL! May GOD bless you and your family forever. Tanya

Not ALL his kids are grown!

• Guestbeaconfriend says:

Is there not an issue of out-of-wedlock
    children here?