Thirteen interested in replacing Hewett

Tags: ,

Submitted: Tue, 04/22/2008 - 6:34pm
Updated: Tue, 01/14/2014 - 10:30pm

more on the hewett story here...

The Brunswick County Democratic Party released the names of 13 people who have expressed interest in becoming the new sheriff of Brunswick County. On May 10 at 10 a.m. the Executive Committee of the party will meet to choose the successor to ex-sheriff Ron Hewett, who was removed from office on at the end of March. There are 62 people eligible to be a part of the Executive Committee, and each member will have one vote during the meeting, which will take place at the Democratic Party headquarters. Individuals interested in the position include James Contreas, Tim Daniels, Sam Davis, Jerry Dove, Jennifer Fisher, John (Billy) Ingram, Kyle Jones, Elizabeth (Rendy) Lewis, Willie Sloan, Wiley Snow, Franky Thomas, Doug Todd and Walt Willis. Any person who wishes to be considered for the position can show up at the meeting on May 10, as long as they meet the criterion, which include being at least 21, a US citizen, a North Carolina resident for at least a year, a resident of Brunswick County, of sound mind, and literate. Candidates cannot be a convicted felon unless his or her rights have been restored, and they cannot be a practicing attorney.

• Justin America says:

Heeeeeeee, Haaaaaaaw! I almost wish I lived in BC, I’d love to drink, lie, cheat, steal, blame other people make rascist, sexist comments and speed. OMG gimmee a gun and a free car. I’m ready. Maybe I’ll sign up anyway. Who’ll know where I really live? Pure chaos. Look, here’s my motto… “I don’t have to obey the law, I’m in charge here.” Yeah, I’m liking the sound of it… Sheriff America.
    What’s the pay?

TODD DOUGLAS WOULD MAKE A EXELLENT SHERIFF

Its pretty sad when Southport has a police cheif who only wants to job as Brunswick County sherrif because Norman Holden called him and told him to run. Another thing is its pretty sad when Norman’s son pulls out a knife in a public place and Dove wont arrest him because of his father. is this who you want as sherrif. I think not.

• NASCAR FAN says:

What I saw in the Beacon this week or the Star News; can’t remember which one but the pay is $75K that’s not too bad of pay for around here in Brunswick County; I say go for it! Are one of your supporters of Ronald gonna offer him a job???? Just curious.

• sheriff who? says:

I am not a Sir thank you! Wiley Snow has nothing to do with Ronald Hewett so you need to know someone before you go around stating facts about someone you don’t even know!! Birds of a feather flock together huh? Well look at your friends have they done wrong things and you didn’t? Would you want someone to judge you before they knew who you were? I don’t think any of Ronald’s close friends would run for Sheriff anyway so please don’t judge someone for what someone else has done…. just because I said I wish Ronald was still Sheriff does not mean Wiley has the same feelings for him. Wiley used to be a State Trooper GREAT MAN!!! He would straighten this county out! As far as the others on the list I would not vote for any of them even if it meant I never got to vote again! So don’t judge someone without knowing anything about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Southern Born says:

Sorry, looks like I got the facts wrong: I apologise just read some of your other comments, should have done that before posting my comment…

• Patiently Waiting says:

Hear Ye, Hear Ye – When you want to get an idea of what the final words will be about this unsavory situation with our prior Sheriff, you need look no further than Robeson County. Keep in mind that the Feds, unlike the State, don’t make deals once their investigation is set into motion. Ronald won’t be the only one going down. Plenty of those that so willingly shadowed their leader may find themselves having a nearby cell. It’s called Karma and many people in this County have waited long enough.

• Guestxyz says:

I recently read an article in the State Port Pilot about the candidates for sheriff. I was shocked to see that that Willie Sloan had unpaid taxes.What suprised me even more was that Mr Sloan said he wasn’t aware that the taxes had not been paid. So lets take a look at Mr Sloans resume.He says he has the administrative skills to run the sheriffs office with a 9million dollar budget but he has a problem paying his property taxes since 2001. Come on Willie who are you trying to fool?You put the blame on Mr Brown who is a co-owner of the property for not paying the taxes as if you didn’t know about them.If you look at the mailing address of where the tax bill goes isn’t that your address Mr Sloan? Seems like your resume is no better than Ronald Hewetts. We don’t need another man in the sheriffs office who claims he doesn’t know whats going on.

You sound like a disgruntled officer. Find you another job being a Chief. Sounds like you know so much more than everyone else. You are an example of the problems Law Enforcement has. You dont have respect for leadership and have your own agenda because you cant get your way running the show. Wait, this is why you arent the Chief anywhere. Grow up or find you another job.

• Southport Native - 105 says:

Jerry Van Dove needs to be Sheriff like I need a hole in the head.

He was forced to retire from the NC Highway Patrol due to issues.

He has been the Police Chief for x amount of years in a one horse town.

He cant wear a uniform right, with his belly hanging over the top of his belt and his pouch hanging even further than that.

He cant even shoot above a 75%.

But yeah okay lets elect him – – – I would rather put Hewett back in. At least he can shoot.

I have faith that a good person will get the position but the last thing we need in there is another freaking politican. We need a good person that will get down and dirty and clean this god foresaken county back up and place the criminals back in the jail or on the nuse.

We have enough back stabbing good ole boys in the county.

LOL I was in the court house the other day turning in my citiation book and I over heard someone complaing that he recieved a ticket for speeding while stating I guess he doesnt know who I am. That is pure bull crap.

We need a REAL SHERIFF that will uphold the law and that will stand behind it and that sure aint Jerry Van Dove.

And on another note, Southport used to buy new patrol cars and new equipment for its officers and now the newest car they have is a 2005 with 130,000 miles yeah thats what I want coming to me when I call 911. He spends money wrong and he doesnt back his officers, trust me because I am a officer.

Thanks for your ear and go enjoy your evening with your family.

• JUST WONDERING says:

WHAT THE HELL ARE THE PEOPLE IN BRUNSWICK COUNTY THINKING…..GORE IS GREAT!!!!

• gene says:

You are the one that made the comparison in your opening thread. Contingency 14 as well as I picked up on that. If you did not want them compared, you should not have mentioned them both as people you would like to have.

Just like Toyota. “You asked for it, and you got it”!

• Southern Born says:

Dont be to hard on Coptingency14.. this person is doing the best they can with what she has to work with!!!! she may be a guy its hard to tell but she is sensitive when it come to her opinions…

Tell it like it is brother. You “hit the nail on head”. I don’t think I’ve heard any more truth then that in a long time.

• Justice says:

Yep you missed something…I was not the one who said they were afraid of loosing their jobs so they just kept breaking the law..I believe as you do, most if not all of them are just as crooked. However I have worked with many of them and know that some of them (very few) are in fact decent people.

• Sourthern Born says:

Have you read the comments below, dont make me defend you Contingency14. stand by your opinion.. I actually agree with you here…

• Guest 2008 says:

There’s one candidates name I didn’t see mentioned on this list of wannabee’s…so….
    Barney Fife is for hire…and he only needs 1 bullet in his pocket.
    “Any person who wishes to be considered for the position can show up at the meeting on May 10, as long as they meet the criterion, which include being at least 21, a US citizen, a North Carolina resident for at least a year, a resident of Brunswick County, of sound mind, and literate. Candidates cannot be a convicted felon unless his or her rights have been restored, and they cannot be a practicing attorney”.
    Hire an illegal alien for Sheriff and tell them if they perform their duties as they should…they’ll get their citizenship right away…then watch them “clean house” upholding the law :-(

• A Real Southport Native says:

This comment must have come from the most ignorant individual around. First of all your statements are false,but Dove is not the kind of man that would exchange obvious jealous and envyous comments. If you were a real officer or a true lawman you would not stoop so low to tell these lies. You must have been fired several times and Southport was your last stop. Jerry Dove is the last of the real lawment and exemplifies what loyalty,honor, and self automony of police officer is. No he is not a good old country brunswick county boy, and that is why he would make a good Sheriff. I think you are jealous because you lack the education and experience to be what Dove is. Citizens of Brunswick County need to replace country dumbness with experience, education, honor, and loyalty.

ELECT GORDON HOBBS FOR OUR NEW SHERRIF LOOK AT ALL HE HAS DONE FOR OUR COUNTY ALL READY

• QTP1 says:

Wasn’t he involved in some kinda shoot em up bang bang love triangle several years ago where this man shot his wife……………yeah right………..sounds like an excellant choice to me…..NOT!

• Southern Born says:

This super heroes attracts lead why in the world would he want to be sheriff…

• Sheriff who? says:

Well the only name on the list that is fit enough to be Sheriff is Wiley Snow!! He is a good man and he would make a GREAT Sheriff. Although I wish our Sheriff was still Ronald Hewett. Some of the names that are listed on this list are law breakers themselves! Why would we want that as the Sheriff of Brunswick County? There is one on there that is a wife beater, one who commits adultry and God knows what else!! You know who you are! Why would anyone put these bad people in office? Ask around you will find out who beats their wife. If he is put in office he will not stay there long his true colors will come out!! GO WILEY SNOW!!!!!!!

• Southern Born says:

I believe this indivitual has been under indictment several times.. whether he was convicted or not is unclear…

It would be really nice to have background information on all candidates, could prove very interesting.

• Justice says:

I have read most if not all of your comments, it would seem to me that your not even coming close to doing the best that you can with what you have. Go back to your drunken Ronald Hewett petition. Or have you given that up? Yeah you did. Wise choice. Southern Born my a@@, your southern inbred. Grow a set and get over it. The crook is gone. He resigned. Do you know why yet? Can you figure it out on your own? He is guilty. The righteous stand bold like a lion. The wicked flee and cower in the corners. Why is it that all of the sudden after all these years he has nothing to say to the press?? All of the sudden the mighty ronnie has nothing to say. His head is hung down in shame. He is a drunken, good for nothing coward.

• Contingency14 says:

I think you should run. You have the right attitude.

Your 100% on the mark about what we need in office.

Thanks for the information on the state of Southports equipment, I was unaware that those officers are working with out of date equipment. I wonder how many of us did not know that? I hope that someone will take over that department and get those men and women the things that they need to do their job.

You have my vote.

• Gene says:

I did not know a thing about Wiley Snow but I do know plenty about Ronald Hewett. As “birds of a feather flock together” and you state you wish Hewett was still our sheriff, I have to assume Snow must be the same breed of bird. I need not to know anymore than that to scratch his name off my wish list.

If you truly want another Ronald Hewett check out the threads at this other blog,

You will find that just down the road from Boliva is one, Emmett Ballree, Chief of Police, Boiling Spring lakes. While his name is not one of the 12 I do believe he is a democrat so he could be considered. After you read the other blog I think you would agree he and Hewett are the exact same breed of bird and you may would be very happy with him (Ballree).

• Contingency14 says:

Dear Sheriff Who,

I apologize for referring to you as sir; I did not mean in anyway to offend you. I’m not really sure about your post; I simply stated that as far as the criminal thing goes that comparing anyone to Ronald Hewett is not a compliment, because he is up on criminal charges.

I do not know Wiley Snow, so why do you not give us some background that will educate us on what his qualification to be Sheriff. My mind is open as to who should be in that office and at this time I am truly not to sure about most of those that I see vying for the job.

So, if you have something to say regarding Mr. Snow, I would surely appreciate being educated as to his background.

Please re-read my post, I said nothing against Mr. Snow.

• Contingency14 says:

I see that you are utilizing that spell check function, very good. Your writings are becoming more legible every day. Stick to the short sentences.

• Brunswickresident! says:

Willie Sloan is a horrible choice for Sheriff… That man is no better than Ronald Hewett. He has no law enforcement history but I bet he has a history of crime. Kind of like being charged with similar stuff Ronald is charged with now. If Brunswick County replaces Willie Sloan the former President of the long shore man association which every drug dealer in Brunswick is a member of…. will regret it! We might as well drop everything and put Ronald back in office! Please have some sense and at least put a man or woman in office that has experience in fighting crime not crime itself….

• gene says:

I can understand why you do not want another “politician” as Sheriff but HELLO, local Sheriff’s are ELCETED so by the nature of that, all Sheriffs are politicians.

If, you are indeed a LEO, then I hope with you out there carrying a gun you do know that the budget a Chief uses is the budget he is given by, the “Town Council”. What I see Dove doing in Southport is living within his means. That “means” within what the town allows him to spend. If it is true that the police department in SP is using antiquated equipment, that is the fault of the Town, not the Chief.

As far as shooting goes, I would rather the “road dog” officers be able to shoot than the administrator. And by the way, was that great shooting by Hewett, drunk, or sober. Better than 75 drunk is pretty darn good. However, we don’t need a marksman that is too drunk to know the good guys from the bad.

Lastly, it would be much better for us if our Sherif had too much fat in the mid section than too much ego between the ears.

Check out history. It seems that those that hung paper and pictures of themselves all over the place are always the bad ones. Every time you turn a corner at the Brunswick County Sheriff Department there is another picture of Hewett.

Would Dove bring Marksmanship to the job? I do not have a clue and I will take your word for it that he would not. Would he bring decency to the job. Absolutely, yes and right now we need decency in that position.

You must be a cop and not a deputy if you were turning in your ticket book. Under Hewett, the only ticket books the deputies had were ticket books for golf tournaments. And for those that think that statement is untrue, pick any day of the week and go to traffic court. See how many deputies are there to testify for the tickets they wrote. You may on a rare occasion see a very few. All the rest, local cops and state patrolmen.

• Southern Born says:

Ronalds gone… keep beating that dead horse… and I believe that the stinky deputies were afraid of that lion and cowarded when it came to up holding the law, arent you the one who said they were afraid of loosing their jobs so they just kept breaking the law… or have I missed something… by the way I posted that site, but I was not the first to post it on the net…. I did not start the site… and I have never said he was innocent…

• Guestxyz says:

I believe that if you look at the Brunswick County Tax records, you will find that Willie Sloan and Bobbie Brown have not paid taxes on the property that they jointly own on Chappell Loop Rd. The taxes have been unpaid since 2001. I am sure that if you look further, it may even go further than that, however, the tax records are only on the web site till 2001. I wonder why the county has not started foreclosure proceedings to get their money. Wasn’t it only a few years ago that the county foreclosed on a elderly lady on a fixed income? Is this the kind of person that the county wants for their Sheriff? One who can’t even be bothered to pay their taxes to the county.

• klbbigshow says:

wow!! i never thought he would want it.willie you better keeep laying bricks ,there is no room for you in thre sheriffs dept ha! ha! ha! ha!

• NASCARFAN says:

I am just curious to know why I tried to check out Ronald Hewett’s MySpace page for which ever supporter posted this page for on his behalf and it’s set to private. You must be a friend to see this page….WHY? If there is nothing to hide why is it not for the PUBLIC and whomever allowed to see it? Just curious….maybe one of you idiot supporters will answer that question back……

• ... says:

I would highly recommend Willie E. Sloan….He is a great man and the perfect candidate for the position…

• guest12345 says:

If you want an HONEST SHERIFF then you need to choose one man JERRY DOVE!!!! Jerry will restore the HONOR in the BCSD and clean out the garbage that is there. Brunswick county citizens need to call the members of the democratic executive committee and let your voices be heard!! Remember JERRY DOVE FOR SHERIFF

• Contingency14 says:

Just curious, you stated “Well the only name on the list that is fit enough to be Sheriff is Wiley Snow!! He is a good man and he would make a GREAT Sheriff. Although I wish our Sheriff was still Ronald Hewett. Some of the names that are listed on this list are law breakers themselves!” Sir, I believe that Mr. Hewett is also up for grabs on the whole criminal thing also, so perhaps comparing Wiley Snow to him is not such a great idea.

Just a thought

• klbbigshow says:

ask almost any one in northern brunswick county of this guys shady past and morals ,this is a joke ,good luck franky you will need it,

• POINT TAKEN says:

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I AM A CANDIDATE FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF SHERIFF OF BRUNSWICK COUNTY. SO THIS WOULD NOT SEEM LIKE A POLITICAL MOVE I WOULD LIKE TO NOT STATE MY NAME AND I HOPE THAT YOU CAN RESPECT THAT. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK THAT ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE AN OPINION OR ANYTHING TO SAY IN THIS IMPORTANT PROCESS FOR THE CITIZENS OF BRUNSWICK COUNTY TO PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THINGS THAT ARE SAID AND WRITTEN MAY BE READ OR HEARD BY A CANIDATE’S FAMILY MEMBER OR CHILD. I DO REALIZE THAT WHEN YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN FOR POLITICAL OFFICE THAT THESE THINGS ARE PART OF THE POLITICAL GAME. I WOULD ASK THAT YOU REMEMBER THAT NO ONE PERSON IS PERFECT AND WE HAVE ALL MADE BAD DECISION’S ONE TIME OR ANOTHER IN OUR LIVES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT EFFECT THE OUTCOME OF THIS PROCESS. IN CLOSING I WOULD LIKE TO SAY GOOD LUCK TO MY FELLOW BROTHERS AND I HOPE THE BEST FOR THE CITIZENS OF BRUNSWICK COUNTY AND THE HARD WORKING MEN AND WOMEN OF THE BRUNSWICK COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE…..THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

• vlewis says:

The accusers and petition/affidavit signers should go first…out the door.. and back on the street. Brunswick County is in need of a good, sheriff that knows and respects the law as well as children, seniors and other needs and safety aspects.We need prayer in making this right decision because it will effect many lives in the next two years.

• eyeswideopen says:

Be sure 420 that you don’t have your own indiscretions that could come out. Some of us that know who you are also know things, however slight, that you have also done. Please don’t start mud slinging – its not the right way to do things.

• Contingency14 says:

Ok, I’ll bite. Which one are you talking about? I think you are 100% right that if that is his/her moral fiber..WE DO NOT NEED IT.

• Intrigued says:

Please tell us who you are talking about…

Glad your eyes are wide open because I am neither married nor am I running for public office. Most everyone on my street in OIB knew what was going on. Those who are running for public office need to know the voters want people of good moral character and we will have our eyes wide open also.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to John Ingram.

• guest983 says:

He did not walk out and didnt leave Southport without a police force. He couldnt be bought and this town had no problem when he was the cheif of police. Southport is no bigger now then it was then population wise, and he was the ONLY police officer for several years. Before you go and accuse someone you need to make sure you get all your facts straight.

• old school says:

Willis couldn’t handle Chief of Southport, let’s not forget that he walked out on the town and left them with no police force at all…. just because he didn’t get his way… and he thinks he can be Sheriff…….

I agree that we should hire someone of good character especially not someone who has an affair with a young woman from the DA’s office while he is married and on the force… we need someone who wont be intimidated by our commissioners and play cover up.

• Native in the Know says:

I am constantly amazed at the lengths people will go to. Sam Davis wants to be considered for Sheriff??????? My God – hasn’t he done enough damage in that office? While I was surprised to see some of the other “candidates”, seeing his name was enough to shock anybody. Anyone that thinks he would be a wise choice for the position should do some research into his background, more specifically his moral character and personal/professional integrity. We don’t need anyone in that position that has already set his own standard for abusing power and the trust of others.

• Guestyou know who says:

You know so much about Sam Davis, What damage has he done in the sheriff office? what is his background,and his moral character? Also his personal/professional integrity,since you know his life history. What standard has he set? By the way,who is it that seeing woman in D.A office,not Sam, must be one of your friends.Call out names.By the way putup or shutup.O.K. we done our research,the person you are didnot do your research good enough,just your mouth.

• William Kelly Todd says:

You must not know my father very well, he is a great candidate for sheriff. He has lived in Brunswick county all his life. He knows what this county needs. He is a currently a Magistrate and fire chief at Tri-Beach Volunteer Fire Department. He has been a magistrate for 9 years and previously worked as a sheriffs deputy for 13 ½ years. He has been an excellent fire chief for tri-beach greatly improving the fire service the Holden Beach area receives. He has done nothing but good for this county and will continue to do nothing but good if he gets the Sheriffs position or not. If some one wants to form an opinion on some one they must know what that’s person feelings are and what kind of personality they have. I don’t know much about any of the other candidates and I’m not going to say anything bad about them there are lots of people that are well qualified to be the sheriff of Brunswick County . I feel my father is one of them well qualified people and some of the other candidates are well qualified. I don’t care if my father gets sheriff to be honest I just want some one that can better this county and get some of the drugs and violence out. I believe My father can do this as well as some of the other candidates. It hurts my feelings to see people hate on others because of an opinion they have formed. Don’t think Doug Todd is a bad Man and don’t think any of the other candidates are bad people. I just ask that the right person gets picked for the job. I want to see Brunswick County get cleaned up.

doug todd wanting it,,that is the most funniest this i have heard in years.

“Any person who wishes to be considered for the position can show up at the meeting on May 10, as long as they meet the criterion, which include being at least 21, a US citizen, a North Carolina resident for at least a year, a resident of Brunswick County, of sound mind, and literate. Candidates cannot be a convicted felon unless his or her rights have been restored, and they cannot be a practicing attorney.”

So, with that said, if you don’t like who’s in the running and you think you can do a better job then show up on May 10th and put your name in the hat. Just remember SOUND MIND, LITERATE AND NOT A FELON are key factors here!!

• Guest 777 says:

Southport police chief Jerry Dove wants to be sheriff? Who would keep him awake? Why don’t you go get a blind hunting dog? That way you would get the same results, the only difference is the blind dog would be loyal and atleast try to do a good job.
    Not to mention the funniest joke someone told me in a long time. Doug “God” Todd wants to be the sheriff. Now thats like giving “Barney Fife” all six bullets at one time. Doug just keep working at the fire chief thing, you just about got that under control.

• gene says:

The vast majority, I believe would agree that a great cloud has been brought over the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Department. Lifting that cloud should be a number one priority.

I think one would be hard pressed to show Chief Dove as anything but a good, decent, upstanding man and a true gentleman. At this moment in time that is a quality that should be the number one factor in choosing a new Sheriff.

As Sheriff, if all Dove accomplished was to bring a level of public pride to that office it would be a major accomplishment. I believe he is very capable of at least that.

• protect our children says:

As a citizen of Brunswick County and a mother of 4- the concerns of the citizens of this county should be on the protection and safety of our children. Who is the best person to fill that position? Who will be visible in our schools and present in the community at youth activities?

• College Kid says:

This man is LE all the way, and I just hope he looks more into the Caison& Holden connection. Well Ronald…………….Mr. Wright is waiting on ya.

• GuestBeaconFriend says:

I think that would be a good choice. He received lots of votes when he ran, just not
    enough of the secret money to buy the election.
    No golf tournement etc. Please just no Hewett
    or Holden or anyone the Brunswick Beacon
    thinks would be a good candidate. The
    Brunswick Beacon was Ex-Sheriff Hewett private
    support platform and people moving into Brunswick County did not know the truth.
    VOTE AGAINST ANYONE THE BRUNSWICK BEACON