New Hanover Count Sheriffs and Wilmington Police team up for arrests

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 01/16/2009 - 10:09pm
Updated: Wed, 11/13/2013 - 8:29pm

A collaborative investigation between the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office and the Wilmington Police Department has netted 2 arrests, and cleared 47 separate cases. The investigation stems from a string of car break-ins in the areas of Landfall and Middle Sound Loop Road. Nineteen year old Jonathan Kiger and seventeen year old Heather Elaine Strider have been arrested. Authorities are still looking for eighteen year old Stephen Fowler and twenty-one year old Kylen Padgett Jr. Officers have recovered some of the stolen goods, and detectives are now working to return this property to the owners.

• Excuse me! says:

Oh, WELL, so it’s ok they ONLY STOLE cell phones,tennis rackets, or a golf club? I don’t give a RATS behind..stealing is STEALING!!

I’m sure the people that they STOLE those things from WORKED to pay for those items!! Oh, and I DO know that my son nor my daughter would do this!! My kids made the choice to further their education and have good jobs and WORK ethic.

Yes, there were other crimes going on at the time…hopefully those CRIMINALS will be caught TOO!!!

I don’t care if these CRIMINALS broke in (key word) took a ink pen..it’s still WRONG!!!!

Oh, since they only stole small items it should be ok? Since other thieves were out in town what these mutts did is ok? I love how you can can justify their illegal activity by what they stole and that other thieves were out stealing. No, no child of mine will be in that same situation because he is being raised to know the difference from right and wrong and that there are repercussions from doing wrong.

• RegulatorGB says:

That’s a great mentality, really it is… This guy named John Darwin once proposed a theory he had about evolution. You might not realize it, but you are a walking example. It goes something like this… Those with the strongest traits for survival will live long enough to pass them along to future generations, thereby providing them with the genes needed to survive. You must realize that not everyone is inherently good. A thief is and will always be a thief, unless they facilitate the change. Keep forgiving everyone, everytime they commit a crime. I only hope it is you that becomes their next victim, not any of us with sense. But I’m sure if you were to get shot by a criminal that you forgave, everyone at your funeral would feel sorry for you…

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Too friggin’ bad! Get over it. Look at their histories at the DOC website. DWI’s, drugs, and most of all THIEVERY. They are **ALL** previously convicted thieves.

You can cry and whine until the cows come home, but the measure of these four people’s worth is found in their actions.

And you’re right – I DON’T respect them. Why would anyone respect them? They’re thieves.

• Wow NC DOC!! says:

Goodness your right Commonsensenotc!! I just looked up these thieves on the NC DOC web site all I can say is WOW..what a list of priors!!

I have ZERO pity for individuals/thieves who STEAL from anyone..they can work to earn the things that they steal from hard working folks!

Our home was broken into on New Years Eve..thank goodness the THIEF in our case was captured too!! I think hard time needs to be handed out by the judge..heck with a smack on the hand!

We work our behinds off for what we have..NO ONE has the right to invade peoples privacy and help themselves to what does not belong to them!!

• Old enough to know better says:

They are old enough to know better! The bible does speak about punishment on thievery as well as forgiveness..

The Bible says that poor thieves, who cannot make restitution for what they have stolen, are to be sold into slavery.

If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. … If he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. — Exodus 22:1-3

• Anonymous says:

Sounds like you need God in your life!!!! People make mistakes, especially kids/teenagers. Whatever happened to forgiveness???

Eph 4:31,32
    “Get rid of all bitterness, passion, and anger. No more shouting or insults, no more hateful feelings of any sort. Instead, be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ.”

You are not the one to be judging anyone or deciding anyones worth, none of us are.

Mat 7:1-2
    “Do not judge others, so that God will not judge you, for God will judge you in the same way as you judge others, and he will apply to you the same rules you apply to others.”

I feel sorry for you & I never said you had to respect them, but respect their families & refrain from making comments about them dying. Act like a mature adult & not a child! You are in no place to be deciding who’s guilty or who’s innocent.I’ll be praying for you, those kids & their families.

• wizard of remote applications says:

first heather is a miss guided young girl that got married at 16 and had 2 miss carridges. her brother steven is a career criminal he minipulates the minds of those who can benafit him. kylen is a miss guided young man hes been to jail for some situations that he did not cause.kylen does not use drugs he drinks on occasion and thats not a crime hes 21.jon kiger is the king in all of this mess he minipulates minds injects heroin smokes crack smokes pot and is an alcholic hes been involved in the lives of these 3 for 6 years jon kiger is the real king pin criminal in this case ……. the three were brain washed by jon kiger into keeping there mouthes shut when they could have notified athorities to the illeagal activities jon kiger was participating in and now they are all in trouble because of jon kiger ! look at his whole family a family of 5 and the only one not on drugs ,in jail or on the run is his father who wants nothing to do with them.

This my friends, is a living definition of white trash. GOOD JOB DETECTIVES!!

• Guest of the Week says:

Funny how some people think female criminals are merely “misguided” and “manipulated” while males are just hardened career criminals and drug addicts who were born evil. Trust me… not all little girls are REALLY made of sugar, spice, and everything nice.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Thou shalt not steal.

• Right vs Wrong says:

You can’t tell me that these teenagers at their age didn’t know the difference between RIGHT and WRONG! If they didn’t learn it at home then I’m sure they learned it at school..

SURE they knew what they were doing was WRONG..I’m sure they didn’t do their breaking in while people were WATCHING!! So doesn’t that tell you that they KNEW they had to SNEAK to do what they were doing? What gave them the right to take what was not theirs?

What are we suppose to do sit back and make excuses for people that break the law? Make excuses as why it’s ok to steal? If that is the case looks like everyone who works hard for what they have won’t have to work anymore..they can just steal what they want!

Look how many times they did this..there is NO excuse. Times are hard enough right now for hard working people..I for one am NOT going to sit back and make an excuse for some low life TAKING anything that I work my butt off for!!

They should have been in school furthering their education…doing something productive with their time!! I hope the judge gives them plenty of time in jail to learn the difference between right and wrong..and plenty of time to READ and educate themselves in jail!

• Guest1969 says:

I do believe it is CHARLES Darwin.

• keep it up says:

at least it was petty things stolen like a cell phone, tennis rackets, or a golf club and not your living rooom tv or your car.. if you think about it they seem to not be advanced criminals. so you should look out for more serious criminals. the same weekend there were 4 other breakins in other parts of wilmington which are unrelated. you never know you may have a son or daughter later on whos stuck in the same situation. just learn from this, theres no need to carry this on. there are to many rebelious teens out there. move on. check up on the potential rapist or molesters on myspace or facebook.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

His record with the Department of Corrections couldn’t get much longer without their having to buy another server.

• Michelle says:

Kylen was in jail for attempt murder and armed robbery and he was let out of jail because he was found not guilt it was a self defense case so if u don’t know the whole story then shut your mouths and thanks a lot he is my x fiance’

He took that case of attempt murder to trial just like he did before. He is not guilty and will not be charged guilty

• Guestbendavid says:

Actually, someone does know the whole story….He was trying to buy drugs from the victim, with Jon Kiger, then decided rather to rob and attempt to kill him. Why he was found not guilty is because Jon got on the stand and lied saying it was self defense. How the jury was too dumb not to look at all the evidence and realize Jon was lying under oath is beyond me. Just another great accolade for our wonderful law enforcement, court/probate, and legal system in New Hanover county and North Carolina. Way to go Ben David!

• Guest1969 says:

If he really is the little angel you want us to believe in, why was he charged and arrested for armed robbery and attempted MURDER? These are NOT lightweight crimes, you fool! You don’t just stumble into ARMED ROBBERY and attempted MURDER. Even if the attempted murder charge really was the result of self defense (and I’m NOT inclined to believe that it was), how do you explain armed robbery? What…something or someone tried to mess with him and he HAD to rob them while brandishing a weapon in order to defend himself?

Wake up, little girl. If you can’t see the big picture, then shut YOUR mouth.

Isn’t this the same Pagett that was arrested last year for attempted murder? I didn’t know attempted murderers could break into cars if they are where they belong…JAIL!!! Only one person to blame for this! THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!!! Way to go numbnuts, he must be as dumb as these kids!

Kylen is the same punk that was charged with “Padgett is charged with attempted murder and armed robbery.” Why isn’t he still in jail?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

There’s likely some really good reason they were out breaking into cars, that we should all understand, right?

• Innocent until proven guilty!!! says:

Also…..These are somebody’s kids, brothers, sisters etc….If you don’t have respect for them, at least have respect for their families. Comments about overdosing are completely unecessary….& remember that what the media says is always hearsay & never the full story!!!

• aGuest says:

Given the record number of “Let them walks” in NHC this year, I’m pretty sure I saw a budget item for a new DOC server farm.

• padgett defense says:

Let me just clarify some things…..as far as the whole attempt murder a armed robbery…..i was in the court room for the whole case! the ” victim” was a strung out crack head trying to find drugs and tweaked out on kylen! self defense after a some guy freaked then realized what he had done, so he then turned the story around on kylen though not to get into trouble himself. from the court room he said his family didnt know he was on drugs and didnt want it to come out so basically he lied……..which my friends is why he isnt in jail. This is just another case where you will find out its not all what you think it is…..

Once again, like I said in my prior posting replying to Kylen’s fiancee, he was trying to buy drugs from the ‘crackhead’, but chose to rob him instead. Jon then got on the stand and lied, under oath, saying it was self defense. How do I know? They both told me what happened. Continue to read below.

• Innocent until proven guilty!!! says:

It’s really sad when a kid who had a rough start in life trys to start over & still gets accused for stuff he didn’t do. There’s a reason Kylen Padgett is not in jail….NOT GUILTY!!!!….Do you really think they would have released him otherwise??? It’s a finger pointing game & the one who’s innocent usually is the one who gets put in the middle.It’s all about cutting a deal w/ the D.A…..So, keep your mouth shut if you don’t know what you’re talking about. Give the kid a chance to prove his innocence. People always want to get on a soapbox about something & someone they know nothing about. How many times have innocent people been put in jail & later released when found innocent. People are falsely accused all the time & it’s people like you that ruin there life & reputation b/c you just want to feel better knowing somebody is behind bars. It never seems to matter if it’s the right person or not. Just as long as you sleep better that someone was put behind bars for it.

• Guest1969 says:

“There’s a reason Kylen Padgett is not in jail”

“Give the kid a chance to prove his innocence.”

“How many times have innocent people been put in jail & later released when found innocent.”

“People are falsely accused all the time & it’s people like you that ruin there life & reputation” (Btw…the correct word is THEIR, not THERE. You should look into taking a remedial 2nd grade class.)

• Innocent until proven guilty!! says:

LOL-Are you high???? Do you even know what you’re talking about?? The only people who know the truth are those kids. Not me not youu or anybody else.

“Yep, sure is. He’s not in jail because he is running from law enforcement. If he did not do anything wrong, why is he running?”

“We tried to. It’s called MEET WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS AND GIVE YOUR SIDE OF THE STORY.”

I probably wouldn’t want to turn myself in either, if I had previously spent a year of my life in jail for a crime I didn’t commit.

Like I previously said…. When you tell the truth & no one believes you & the world turns their back on you b/c the media passes judgement before the court system even gets a chance to, you’ll never forget that experience.

“WAY less than the number of people incarcerated and put to death for the heinous crimes they committed.”

I agree with that, but imagine if you were the one who was in the wrong place at the wrong time & had to serve time for a crime you didn’t commit. That’s a scar you can never get rid of. I’m not saying anything bad about our law enforcement & judicial system, thank god we have them, I can’t imagine what the world would be w/o them……but we need not be the ones to pass judgement. That’s not our place. There’s a reason they say “innocent until proven guilty.”

How old are you??? I’m not verbally attacking anyone on here. I’m just saying that we don’t need to add fuel to the fire the media has already started. You might need to take a look at yourself & decide why you think that was neccessary…..& by the way I’m 25, a college graduate & make 50,000 a year & you???

“Falsely accused or not, he’s in this situation because he put himself there. Your average citizen does not repeatedly put themselves in situations that could result in an arrest.”

That’s true, but we’ve all chosen the wrong crowd at one point in time & I’m not saying he’s an angel. Can you imagine trying to change your life & be a better person after your name & face have been all over the news for an attempted murder & armed robbery charge??? Just finding a job is near impossible let alone trying to make new friends.

The bottom line is that we’re not the judge & jury. We have a judicial system in place for a reason & all we can do as citizens is allow the evidence to tell us the truth.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Every single one of them is a previously convicted thief.

What a crew!

• 2 sided guy says:

If you only hear 1 side of the story your initial instinct is to go on what you’ve heard. In reality by the court system your innocent til proven. Kylen was innocent in the last case and was proven innocent. This is a new case which dosent only involve him its three other kids younger then him trying to plea out so they dont get in trouble by their parents. Court is on thursday and we will see how this plays out. I also sat in the court room as they said not guilty on all the charges and will sit in again on this one as they say not guilty again. Stop looking up padgett, look up kiger and his history or even his whole familys history. seems like you low lifes have nothing else to do but sit on here writing NEGATIVE remarks on people. get a life, stop spell checking peoples remarks, checking records, and being cold hearted. If anybody ends up ODing on something it would be you, on antidepressant meds. that you take b/c nobody likes you b/c you a negative 1 sided fool.

• Innocent until proven guilty!!! says:

I’m glad we still have people in this world like you……We need to let the court system do exactly what it was established to do. We are citizens who have nothing more than opinions & none of us can say who did it, but no one needs to make comments about ODing!!! People are so quick to jump to conclusions. We need all sides of the story to be heard. We don’t need a lynch mob. We need the truth!

• FACTS says:

Are any of you the victims of these crimes?? I don’t know what you’re permitted to say, but I’d like to know if any of those items were actually identified as the stolen property??? They just state that they’re trying to return it to the rightful owners, but does anyone know what they actually recovered? What evidence do they have besides finger pointing???? I’m not seeing any info that directly establishes these kids as the theives. I’d love to to hear some actual facts on the case instead of opinions on their character.

So padgett was found not guilty once and that makes him a wonderful person? His list of crimes he has been convicted of is lengthy. They are all common thieves and lowlifes.

• Innocent until proven quilty-Not the other way around!! says:

Were you there? Were you a fly on the wall?? Then you don’t know who’s responsible. None of us do. The only ones who know are the ones who did it, but that’s beside the point….Don’t talk about somebody fataly overdosing, that’s just wrong. I don’t care who they are, you don’t say stuff like that. That’s an ignorant comment filled with uneccessary hate towards people you don’t know. What if that was your kid & you read that. I’m sure the families are going through enough w/o having to see comments like that. Let them have a fair trial & the truth will come out, no matter what it is….Until then, keep your built up hostilaty to yourself! There’s only one who can judge & it’s not any of us.

Quote from Innocent until proven quilty-Not the other way around!! “There’s only one who can judge & it’s not any of us.”
    It is really twelve of us that can judge in this world (called a jury) and God will take care of this trash in the next.

BTW, guilty is spelled with the letter G not Q.

• Innocent until proven guilty!! says:

How sad that this world has so many people in it w/ no heart, compassion or forgiveness. They will be judged & we will then know what is what, but until then & until all the facts are revealed….keep an open mind. This world doesn’t need anymore ignorance & close mindedness….& correct my typos all you want, but that doesn’t validate your comments nor does it make you look any better. That’s extremely childish & doesn’t take away from the meaning of my statement. Name calling & statements like that are the types of things people say when they have nothing else. Come on people…..All I’m trying to say is…..Hold off judgement until the facts are in….We can’t just decide someones guilty b/c that’s what the media says….Previous convictions & past mistakes just make you a target/suspect for all crimes commited in your area. It doesn’t prove that they did it. Nothing I’ve read does!

• OIC says:

You have finally made some sense. Their past crimes DO make them suspects in these crimes. That is the price they pay for being criminals, as the past is the best predictor of the future. Want to know how they can change this? By not getting into trouble or associating with troublemakers and thus creating a new history. I have much compassion and forgiveness for these young adults and their families. It is so sad that these kids can’t see how their foolish actions will affect their entire lives. However, that does not give them a free pass. Do YOU have any compassion for the victims of their crimes?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Do you know WHY we have so many young criminals today? Because of sappy sob-sisters like you, who refuse to hold them responsible for their actions and punish them. You and everyone who thinks like you is an enabler. You DESERVE people like these four.

I have plenty to say about your buddies. They are all druggie thieves. End of story. Good guys don’t have long criminal histories, these mutts do. Good guys don’t get caught over and over again unless they are doing something they are not supposed to be doing. That is this crew. And nothing you have read proves they didn’t do it. Use this old parable… If it walk like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, then it must be a duck. Now replace the word duck with criminal. Paint a good enough picture of your buddies for you?

• aGuest says:

they would not have been put back on the street to continue commiting crimes. It obviously failed on MANY levels; with the kids as well as the community.

• outraged guest says:

IF MY parents are complete morons, then how did I end up so good? How is it that I have graduated high school, attended college and started a great life with a wonderful woman? Yes, Steven and Heather are my brother and sister and what they did was very wrong and they knew it but to say that my parents are morons; thats going too far! I guess peoples opinions are harder because they have the safety of an anonymous voice on the internet! I was there their entire lives and as an adult I can say that my parents did a fine job raising them. Think about how you would feel if you exhausted yourself trying to get them to do the right thing. They never did adhere to morale principles no matter how many times my parents tried to punish, talk, and generally instill this concept into their minds.

• Dispicable says:

2 of these kids are brother and sister. Heather and Stephen. Heather got married when she was 16 thats why her last name is different. Their parents are complete morons as well. These 2 are always in trouble especially the boy. I dont know the other two, but everything that you all are saying is true about their character. Habitual liars and theives.

• babyblue says:

Glad these folks were caught. Good law enforcement work guys and girls.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Let’s face it – breaking into cars may be the pinnacle of their skill set. They may be worthless for any other task in life.

So…..who wants to start a pool of which one winds up in Raleigh Central first, or which one fatally OD’s?