Running late, two trips through security forces Berger to miss meeting

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 04/05/2013 - 3:30am
Updated: Fri, 04/05/2013 - 6:24pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger showed up to the Government Center for today’s agenda review meeting about ten minutes after the meeting began.

He had to go through security put in place because of the county’s concern about his mental health. Berger said the added security is a waste of taxpayer money. He called it a ploy.

“Anytime they have an opportunity to bring my name up, they are going to jump at the distraction.”

When asked if he had plans to resign, he instead called on another commissioner to leave office.

“I have not done anything improper, unethical or illegal that in any way would or should compel my resignation,” Berger said. “If anything, Woody White should resign. I plan to personally file a complaint with the bar against him.”

White would not talk what about Berger said.

Between being late and having to go through security a second time after he went to get something from his office, Berger missed the entire agenda meeting.

• Guest Reply says:

But which news report is wrong…not the right one I suspect.
    Even if the story was about old Mrs. Jones flowers were peed on by some dog…the facts should be correct.
    How did the New York Times present this story on Berger?
    It all boils down to this…our city up starts are within a “3 Ring Circus”…and Screen Gems has a Gold Mine at their fingertips for a new comedy show (“The Cape Fear Council-Goofballs at Bay”)…and there it sits and goes… unknown :-(
    The proceeds from this show, would go back to Wilmington for the filming permit fees…and in turn…feed itself for job security and a yearly income “back” to the city, for a stronger future, and with tax increases every 6 months here + royalties from this show…City Council could build something else that is unnecessary!
    Sorry for the scenario…I couldn’t resist the moment :-)

• SurfCityTom says:

a conflict in reports.

The Star News reports he was on time; and chose to leave the meeting in order to conduct television interviews outside.

It further stated, he returned just as the meeting adjourned.

This seems to be a very mis-leading report.

I think the main thing all taxpayers and voters of berger’s district should be, if there is new security procedures in place, was every commissioner subjected to the same procedure, if so, then no foul, if not, then a group of commissioner’s that do not like how a person look’s or acts is profiling and trying to suppress the voters choice, so what’s up?

• Guesttoo says:

I don’t think the New York Times presented a story on Berger. The Star News is no longer owned by NYT – if that’s what you’re referring to.

The paper and this station seem to be very closely linked at the hip…for some reason. It’s strange that the stories aren’t identical.

• ChefnSurf says:

Don’t watch a lot of TV and really never bother to watch a NHC meeting on TV because it’s kind of like watching paint dry … but … I followed your link and watched this meeting. I was deeply disturbed by what I saw.

Like the rest of us, I nominally follow local politics and also, at an arms length, follow Berger’s antics. I had no idea that Berger’s been that nuts and for so long. It was truly disturbing to see him in action. To realize that since then he’s become even more disturbed is exponentially even worse!

Thank you for that link, as disturbing as it was. I’ve been on this planet for more than just a couple of days, however, I cannot recall ever having witnessed a person this screwed up who’s actually in a position of authority in my entire life.

If he won’t resign, which seems to be the case, we really need to isolate him and wait him out. What an unfortunate situation for us all.

• SouthEastNC says:

If you want to see how Berger acts when he gets caught in a lie, watch some of the June 18, 2012 Commissioners meeting when they addressed Brian’s travel habits. He gets caught twice making accusations with nothing to back it up. Claims other commissioners buy golf clubs, charter private flights, and stay at $400/night hotels. When asked to whom he is referring, Brian just starts talking in circles and/or denying he’d just made the allegations.

select “Items 18& 19″ the 7:10 mark and the 13:40 mark

• SouthEastNC says:

You know Brian has mastered the art of throwing crap at a wall and seeing if it sticks. He likes to make accusations and then not back them up.

Like his claims that Barfield was buying golf clubs with County money and that Thompson was chartering private flights.

Dude is a nut-job.

• Paul says:

So what, Mr. Berger, is the reason you think Woody White should resign or has done something at odds with the NC Bar Association? I’m dying to hear it.