FIRST ON 3: Sources say police department arrested wrong man in Hillcrest murder case

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 06/05/2013 - 3:59am
Updated: Wed, 06/05/2013 - 6:22pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A family member tells WWAY that the suspect arrested in a Friday night murder in Wilmington could soon be released from jail if the murder charges against him are dropped.

WWAY has also learned that Wilmington Police have been working quickly since this morning to see if they had indeed arrested the wrong man, Tyron Seabrook, for the shooting death of Eugene Logan, 31, Friday night in the 1000 block of Lincoln Court in Wilmington’s Hillcrest community.

During Seabrook’s first court appearance this morning, Logan’s sister told a judge Seabrook was not the man who killed her brother. She even sat in court with Seabrook’s wife. The couple got married Saturday just hours after Logan was shot and killed.

Despite what Logan’s sister said, the judge ordered Seabrook held without bond.
When reached by phone this evening, District Attorney Ben David said he could not confirm any developments since this morning’s hearing. He did however say that the police did not call him to the crime scene like they have done in the past.

The Department of Corrections website shows Seabrook has a criminal history going back to at least 1999. It includes convictions for carrying a concealed weapon, larceny, drug possession, possession of stolen goods, resisting an officer and assault on a female, among other crimes. Prosecutors say he was on federal probation at the time of the murder.

The DOC website also shows the victim had a record dating back to 2002. Logan’s convictions include for drug possession, assault on a female and other offenses.

Even though Seabrook may not be charged with murder, he could still face other charges.

District Attorney Ben David says the Wilmington Police Department is handling the investigation.

A WPD spokesman and spokeswoman could not immediately be reached for comment.

A mother lost her child… Whether he was a criminal, a lawyer or an indian chief a life was lost. Words are very hurtful and can not be taken back, please be mindful of what you say because one day you may be in this mother’s shoes mourning the death of your child. My condolences to the Murray and Logan family.

They werwe’re boys! So quick to arrest but got the wrong person. That’s Wilmington police though. Smh

• Kimberly Radford Mcneil says:

To SurfcityTom and who ever else that has Something to say about Mr. Seabrook’s wife “Trinetta Seabrooks” “Pump Your Breaks” This happens to be a very smart educated young lady. Who she choose to marry is none of your concern!!!She didn’t hold the gun but what she goes hold is a college degree and a very successful career! What you feel her husband did or DIDN’T do is on you, but what you WANT do is SLANDER her good name!!! Enough Said!

• Vog46 says:

release him.
    The police can only act upon evidence and eyewitness accounts of those at or near the scene…….
    They should act as quickly to release him as they did to arrest him, if warranted.

Vog

• Lwanda Green says:

This man was falsely accused….the whole Wilmington knows it as well as the DA….I pray that God has mercy on your soul…..by the way they got married Friday not Saturday…. another piece you got wrong…..

• uglyvillerecords/silk black says:

being falsly accused is what the WPD is known for look at all the past work hell im 5’9 i,ve been falsley accused in which i was described as a tall black male witrh dreads and ya know what im short and stocky SO to all the tax payers they putting moneyu in there wallets instead of doing there jobs!

• Guestwalsh says:

WPD falsely accuse and arrest someone? NO!!!! REALLY? Happens more than you think, and not just African Americans. Vog has comment for everything, yesterday giving pd atta boys, today recants, well Vog, have you ever been falsely accused and arrested, detained for months or years knowingly you were falsely accused by our stellar PD? Has your life been ruined because your name, face and a lie was printed in the news? You ave no idea what it does to a person, nor do you seem to really care, as long as you get your opinion published which makes you no better than the WPD or DA, perhaps one day you will be in the wrong place at the wrong time and someone will make up a lie for you to be prosecuted for something you are innocent of, then I perhaps would value your opinion.Truth is they don’t care about people that “don’t matter” in Wilmington, neither do you. May God bless you and your family..

• ldjones9 says:

If true, this can only damage WPD’s credibility.

You will never be accused of possessing an education.

• kimberly Radford McNeil says:

Chill Out! Hide behind your computer and talk junk player! Working on my second Degree, had NO problems understanding your slander towards Trinetta and Tyron! Leave them both alone, he is a FREE man. They will be together no matter how anybody feels!

• Kimberly Radford Mcneil says:

Truth…Amen! This man is always going to have to deal with this mess! This is a shame!

• tweety11 says:

The all knowing GUESTY. When will you stop with all the oneliners you are killing me……….Ha

• Kimberly Radford Mcneil says:

I agree someone did die! My condolences to the whole family and the friends.

• SurfCityTom says:

go back to school. Take a course in reading comprehension. I made no statement about the wife.

I noted if the shooting was over a woman; that was a poor use of judgement.

I noted if guilty, he should be out of public housing.

Show me where I made a false statement about her.

You might want to learn the meaning of slander.

And you might want to take your own advice and issue some apologies.

• Kimberly Radford Mcneil says:

Tyron you are a free man! Go on and live life as such. Your past does not define you, you are SOMEBODY!

Trinetta love that man with your all. The world can’t pick a perfect man for you! Maybe the Lord put the two of you together to bring change! Behind every man their is a strong woman. “MUCH LOVE”

PUBLIC mind your own business! Make sure YOUR mate is a SAINT before you judge anyone! PUBLIC you don’t have a HEAVEN or HELL to put anybody in!

• Vog46 says:

Let me answer a few questons for yah here:
    “Well Vog, have you ever been falsely accused and arrested, detained for months or years knowingly you were falsely accused by our stellar PD?”
    No, no and No.

” Has your life been ruined because your name, face and a lie was printed in the news?”

“You have no idea what it does to a person, nor do you seem to really care, as long as you get your opinion published which makes you no better than the WPD or DA, perhaps one day you will be in the wrong place at the wrong time and someone will make up a lie for you to be prosecuted for something you are innocent of, then I perhaps would value your opinion.”

Hey here’s the crux of the problem
    I DON’T put myself in situations so I tend NOT to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You’re right I don’t have an idea what its like – you know why? Because I DON’T WANT TO KNOW. Thats the difference.
    Vog has no crminal record already. No class II substance abuse charges, no firearms charges nothing nada, zilch, zip. Perhaps this guy should have tried THAT attitude eh? Perhaps he wouldn’t have been falsely accused – which by the way requires the Police to have some sort of evidence to do this with. Perhaps old Tyrone had some enemies? Hmmm makes me wonder.

“Truth is they don’t care about people that “don’t matter” in Wilmington, neither do you. May God bless you and your family..”
    Nope the problem is that you don’t see that the majority of people don’t commit crimes here. So the Police do “serve and protect” even those people they may not want to at times – which includes possible repeat offenders.

I feel bad for this guy – but he was arrested and charged for a reason – perhaps one of his “friends” tried to rat him out and set him up? Lied to the Police? Perhaps? Nice people he hangs out with eh?
    I’m glad the Police came clean and let him go – that does NOT mean he doesn’t matter – it means the police made a mistake– they fessed up and let him go. Considering what this guy had done in the past, I wonder just how much worse this made his life?
    Grow up – I’d rather be falsely accused then have been convicted of actual criminal activities.
    But given the way I lead my life? I don’t need to worry about that.
    May God bless you and yours and hopefully give this guy guidance as to how to lead a good Christian life.

Vog

• judgeyenot says:

But the media is not so quick and eager to mention that the charges have been DROPPED!I’m glad that an innocent man is set free. The ignorance in some of the comments below are mind blowing…. Ignorance is bliss I guess….

• Gramps1945 says:

At least the WPD was honest enough to admit to the situation. Sometimes factors change. Seeing Tyron’s criminal past, I hope my tax dollars are not being paid to supplement a woman beating, thief, with a drug history, to live around children, in Hillcrest.

You can have all the “Prayer Marches Against Violence” you want. As long as we pay lazy, deadbeat, criminal- sponges, to live in housing communities, the worse its going to get.

Not only are they sucking our hard earned dollars out of our pockets. They are ruining the lives of innocent children, in these areas. The children in Hillcrest deserve better.

• Guest2013 says:

Drove by Hillcrest community leaving downtown today. Having this story in my mind as I drove, I took notice of the fact that nobody was outside hanging out on the sidewalk or milling around the front entrance of the store across the street. Just an observation.

• OtherGuest says:

You should get back on the playground with the other children.

WWAY sat on my posting so I sent in another one and tadah, double post. Sorry. Got to love the edit button.

I’ll let you go first little lady. Once you kick the bucket I’ll quit. Until then, try to find time to go back to school.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…people that can’t compose a simple sentence and spell simple words stop displaying their ignorance by posting comments like that on here for everyone to laugh at.

I don’t blame him and encourage his fine observations! I like the one-liner humor too!

• tweety11 says:

Guesty,guesty,guesty.How cute and again the same old jacka$$$$.

I will quit if you promise to die soon.

…I should get back to supervising you on the swing.

• tweety11 says:

like a puppy?????Really its nice to know that i have gotten under your skin once again.Education i have(college degree yes,military yes)i just find you and your comments(some of them)ridiculous.A puppy please.Will he respond again?????

• Guest-o-matic says:

No, we don’t do that, BUT there is prison. We’ll send him there (again) should he decide to break the law again. Tyrone’s already been there once and with his criminal record, probably should still be. You see, if Tyrone doesn’t decide to live an honest life from here on out, he’ll either get a bigger and more serious dose of prison life, or perhaps a one-time visit to the morgue.

That’s all up to him now, so don’t blame the public or anyone else for his self-imposed shortcomings. Whassit gonna be Tyrone?

You first have to be significant to get under my skin. Keep trying.

You just follow around looking for some attention from me. I didn’t know Cracker Jacks gave out college degrees because you obviously haven’t learned basic English and sentence structure. I’ll try to help you:

{capitalize} Like a puppy?????{2 spaces} Really its{apostrophe} nice to know that I{capitalize} have gotten under your skin once again.{2 spaces} Education I{capitalize} have{1 space} (college degree yes,{1 space} military yes){1 space} I {capitalize} just find you and your comments(some of them)ridiculous.{2 spaces} A puppy please.{2 spaces} Will he respond again?????

You don’t get under my skin, I enjoy pointing out how stupid you make yourself appear. Above is a simple 3rd grade English lesson that I hope you can grasp and implement in your posting. Respond with more of your education when you are ready for another lesson.

• Tweety11 says:

Guesty when will you learn.I am not writing
    an essay,just pointing out the facts that you
    don’t have all the answer and you are truly
    a jacka$$$.And I know I get under your skin
    Just by your responses.Now we you need a
    Lesson in psych 101 let me know.kisses

• tweety11 says:

Guesty and let me know how it feels.Take your good friend O-matic with you.Ha!!!!!!!!!!

Tweety11 with the same stupid remarks. Try to get an education soon if you are going to continue to follow me around like a puppy.

• Kimberly Radford McNeil says:

SurfCityTom you might want to chill out! I’m working towards earning my second degree. I can read and understand what you said and meant just fine. You didn’t need to bring his wife up in any type way shape or form. Mr. Seabrooks was charged not his wife! You might just have a few in your family own public housing! Mr. Seabrooks is a FREE man and you are a HATER SURFCITYTOM!!!

• Kimberly Radford mcneil says:

Guest 134957 Thanks!

• Guest-a-Teria says:

Trinetta may have a college degree, but I fear she has made a bad choice in selecting a husband–a man with a criminal record a mile long.

I think most reasonable people would agree with my opinion of Trinetta’s unfortunate choice in marriage.

• Kimberly Radford says:

Trinetta is none of your concern! Trinetta has the right to love and Marry who ever she like, no matter his past! Trinetta can’t judge him by his past, that’s God’s job. Leave Trinetta alone, her choice is none of your Business!

• SurfCityTom says:

why not read a post in its entirety before you post? Every time you post, you prove it is better to remain silent and appear foolish than to speak and remove all doubt.

It’s unfortunate WWAY does not have the technology to determine a poster’s reading skills before they are allowed to post.

Pray tell, are you stating that no one with a college degree has ever lived in public housing?

I don’t understand your retort. Your lazy writing style is beginning to bug me. Why don’t you leave that chick alone and take your own advice, Brah.

• SurfCityTom says:

from middle school?

You can rant and pout until the world ends.

The fact remains I made NO negative comments about his wife. Read that twice if you do not understand.

I noted, and continue to believe if the shooting was over a woman that was a poor use of judgement by the shooter involved.

But nowhere, and in no form, did I make any comments concerning the female spouse.

Got it? I sure hope that degree work is not being funded by the state or taxpayers. At the very least, you are missing out on reading comprehension.

• SurfCityTom says:

I bug you.

Don’t read my comments then.

As for yours, there was nothing of substance posted.

• kimberly Radford McNeil says:

Keep BUMPING THEM GUMS PUNK! LMAO…

• Angel82 says:

It appears that a false statement was given to police & the charges are now being dropped. This guy was innocent.

there is only one way to deal with a career criminal like this, EXECUTION, why should we as a society and a taxpayer be burdened with this????

• Kimberly Radford McNeil says:

What you better do is leave his wife “Trinetta” out of it! Trinetta is a smart young lady without a criminal record! You and yours will NOT bring down her GOOD name!!!!!! Trinetta is NOT on public Housing, as a matter of fact she holds a college degree!!! Enough Said!

• SurfCityTom says:

the very next day. Now, if this was over the woman he married, that is a poor sense of judgement.

And if she and her new husband were residents of public housing, out they both should go.

• Vog46 says:

Good bit of Police work.
    Quickly developed a case and made the arrest and gave the DA enough to charge him.
    Nicely done Wilmington PD

Vog

• Guest-o-matic says:

…with this idiot. It’s the DA’s and the judges that can’t seem to get the picture and allow the worm back into society over and over again.

And, once again, this is the perfect example of just why we have gun-related violence running rampantly out of control.

• Deshera says:

Rest in peace ky

• Common Sense says:

Another thug off the streets.

• Guest-o-matic says:

When you have a 31 year old with 3 felony convictions for drug trafficking and TWENTY-TWO misdemeanor convictions for drugs, assaults and theft running around society as a free man?

I continue to fail to understand how when a young man clearly demonstrates his criminal intent on society by accumulating a “War and Peace” volume of criminal convictions, that a judge just doesn’t get it and put him away for a VERY long time. They had TWENTY-FIVE opportunities as he came before their bench. One would think they would put him away just because of seeing his ugly mug too often. Geeez…

• Wilmington Observer says:

A “frequent flyer” of the criminal justice system and another example of why I would prefer my (tax) money be diverted to the building and staffing of more prisons instead of providing others housing, medical care, education, transportation, job training, daycare, cellphones, etc, etc.

Wilmington Observer

• tke1 says:

It is not “gun related violence”. I is THUG related violence. The gun that was used would have never fired a shot had the THUG not pulled the trigger. The gun didn’t do a thing it was not forced to do by the THUG. If the victim had been stabbed or beaten to death with a log chain, would the liberal owned/operated media called it “knife related violence” or “chain related violence”? NO!!! Those are not the political catch phrases they are supposed to push for their liberal masters.