Wilmington man arrested for overnight murder near Leland

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 06/24/2013 - 6:43pm
Updated: Tue, 06/25/2013 - 12:25pm

LELAND, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington man is in jail charged with a murder overnight near Leland.

The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office arrested Randy Lee Anderson, 24, of Thomas C. Jervay Loop in Wilmington, for the murder of Michael James Link, 23, of Sherwood Drive, in Leland.

Officers say they responded around 1:15 a.m. to a shooting in the Deerwood Meadows mobile home park off of Mt. Misery Road. When deputies arrived, they found Link dead just outside of the mobile home park.

Investigators say Leland Police caught Anderson later after spotting his car. Detectives say Anderson, along with two others, was meeting with Link for an illegal drug deal.

In addition to the murder charge, Anderson is also charged with possession of a stolen firearm, possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver marijuana and conspiracy to sell/deliver marijuana. He is in the Brunswick County Detention Facility with no bond.

Courtney Renee Bryant, 19, of Kuhlken Trail in Leland, has been charged with PWIMSD marijuana and conspiracy to sell/deliver marijuana. She is in jail under a $10,000 secured bond.

David Rashad Duncan, 22, of Kilarny Rd. in Wilmington, is charged with PWIMSD marijuana and conspiracy to sell/deliver marijuana. He is in jail under a $10,000 secured bond.

• Kathy, friend of Michael says:

I was so relieved to know Michael didn’t die alone. I met Michael through work, and spent a great deal of time with him. He was like a little brother to me, and we talked about a great many things. No, he didn’t like guns, and yes, he had issues with his eyes. We use to joke with him about it…that’s just how michael was. His service was this morning and the amount of family and friends that were there was just overwhelming. I hope the man that senselessly killed michael gets the maximum amount of time allowed. Thank you for doing all you could to help him, and for being there so he wasn’t alone when he left this life.

• joan says:

Today, I buried my only son, Michael James Link. I want to personally thank the people who where there by my son’s side before he passed away. This gave me comfort to know he was not alone. Our family is grief stricken and sick to heart that he was murdered by a evil thoughtless no man of god. Michael never knew people like nor did he want to and rest assured he didn’t know this no man of god has a evil murderous mind. Our lives will never be the same without Michael here among us. We hope and pray that Michael has the justice he deserves because each and everyone one of us who know Michael know he was shot in cold blood.

• joan says:

GIVE JUSTICE TO MICHAEL JAMES LINK AND LET EVERYONE KNOW WE WILL NOT STAND TO LET ANOTHER WONDERFUL PERSON BE TAKEN FROM US.

• Neighbor says:

I am so sorry for your loss. I can’t even express it. I only wish I could have done more; I wish the world wasn’t so cruel. I’ve been contemplating trying to reach Michaels father to try and support your family as much as I can, but I don’t want to intrude or come across disrespectful, I realize that everyone is still trying to come to terms and is still grieving.. I only wish to personally show my respect and help in any way I can, and to comfort as much as possible in such an awful situation. Would it be appropriate to contact him?

• Vog46 says:

It’s not local law enforcement’s call on this.
    Try blaming the right party(s).
    Laws are set by the legislature
    Then blame the Judiciary for allowing them to post bond in accordance with the laws the Legislators passed.

Vog

• I was at the funeral says:

I know exactly what your family is going through, My brother was murdered the exact same way. It is something that you will never understand why, it will never go away. It is so hard, so sad, my heart goes out to everyone that loved Michael. My family was reading all the post from people that would put ignorant things on line about my brother and they never knew him at all same as with Michael. Don’t let people like that bother you, you know Michael and they didn’t, people get on here and just be so stupid and can care less about the family. It got to where you just got to quit reading things because if not you couldn’t go on. They caught these idiots that did this and they will get what is coming to them of course it isn’t going to be what they deserve but it is out of our hands now, My heart has ached since I heard of this because I know the pain you are going through. I will keep your family in my prayer.

• Michael's Cousin says:

For those who want to judge or make harsh comments about someone dying, your definitely the type of people who need to be out of our society!! Michael was not a drug dealer, did not carry a gun, and did not hang out with “gang” members!! My family has been through more pain than you could even begin to imagine, and you really want to make clueless ignorant comments about his death? Or even better defend a cold blooded killer, Randy Anderson? I don’t think so. I, my family, and Michael’s friends knew the person he was. He was a wonderful kind hearted person who meant so much to many people! Like the one who posted about Karma, yes karma will come back to you for commenting horrible things about Michael! Also karma, no wait, GOD will deliver Justice for Michael and his family! Randy Anderson, will receive everything he deserves and more. I hope he is anguished with guilt every single day of his pathetic life for his horrific senseless actions.** Those who have been supportive thank you for your support during this very hard time. **Thank you to the couple who were by Michael’s side in his last moments. May God Bless you for being there with him!** If you have nothing supportive or nice to say then keep it yourself!! Do not bad mouth someone you do not know, especially someone who never bad mouthed other’s!! Please let my family grieve without the rude absurd comments. Michael will be forever in our hearts and prayers!! Rest in Peace Angel!!

• kutthroat trell says:

Man yall talk all that good bout Michael. . Yall dummies won’t even consider what led to this. He owed a lot of money. And were we from you taking money is like slapping our mother in the face. I no my man was a dealer but we dont get silver spoons put in our mouths from day 1. If u want it we go get it. We dont think about no fam of his they shoulda paid his debt.. dummies yall coulda stopped it. Now i wonder the ppl that comment on this how many times did Michael ask yall for some money lol yall coulda stopped yo friend from gettin pushed back

• I know you, you don't know me says:

If you know so much, why are you not giving your account of what took place?? Is it because your a coward? Maybe involved in illegal activities yourself? Maybe a CI for the police? You don’t want to,”roll” on your buddy? What is it that makes you think in any way shape or form is it acceptable to take someone’s life?? Are you a murderer as well who just hasn’t been caught? What is ut? Who are you, and how do you have any connection to this?? Or are you a coward alsi who wont speak up for what’s right? Probably some young punk that thinks their untouchable, but let me tell you something you ought to take serious, you are touchable and you as well breathe the same air and one day someone may take that from you as well so you might want to change your life around or your family may be burrying you one day! And

• DaBitterTruth says:

No you don’t. Most people don’t.

You do get a pretty good chance of getting a decent free education though. You, like so many of you who make excuses for bad behavior, always seem to have one thing in common: None of you could even get close to passing a fourth grade English test. Because so many of you can barely read or write, you all spend your lives working in crappy jobs or worse. Then you blame the poor choices you’ve made on everybody else, just like you did here.

What’s your excuse for that?

• one of two people that last saw him alive says:

I was the first person to his side right before he died and I while heartedly regret that I couldn’t stop it before it happened, I looked into Michaels eyes right before he died and I know he was shoot down in cold blood. It was absolutely the single most selfish and stupid act. I hope randy gets the chair. Michael died in mine and my wife’s arms as we tried to help him. Before all of you hood rats try and defend randy, let me ask you this, if he were such a good person why would he shoot someone in cold blood and leave the body for the worms? Anyone can pull a trigger, he had no respect for anyone and is getting no respect from society. To the family of Michael James Link, you have my condolences. I was there and seen everything happen but I couldn’t do anything and I’m sorry hour that. He did have a peaceful death it was not agonizing and slow. He did not die alone. I did not know Michael personally, but I could tell he was just sometime trying to have a good time. Just with the wrong crowd. Now these people have to live with this on their conscience for the rest of their lives and I hope it eats their very soul. It was a senseless act and should’ve been avoided. Nobody deserves to be shoot down like a dog in the street.

• Neighbor says:

How can you people talk about this man in such a way?! This man lost his life in such a senseless, cruel way. My husband and I saw this tragedy unfold. This man was a stranger, but we did everything in our power to try to help him. As soon as we heard the shots, we ran out side, saw the animals who shot this soul down like a dog in our back yard drive off like cowards. It is such a tragedy Michael died, especially in this way. He did not die alone. He died in my arms, as I tried to keep him breathing and my husband was on the phone with dispatch. These people deserve to be in jail, they took a life, an innocent life that was full of so much potential. My whole heart hurts for Michaels loved ones; I didn’t know him in life, but I spent his last moments with him, trying to save him. I still can’t believe that this happened. These animals could have killed any person, any on of your sons or daughters or loved ones. They very easily could have killed my children. He did not deserve to die.

• Danny L says:

You don’t know how it happened, you don’t know what happened, you don’t know a lot about people even when you think you know everything. Randy was a loyal dude, he always did good by me this ain’t have to happen this way I’m sure but it did and saying he a godless scum bag and hoping he burns in hell isn’t very Godly in it of itself. Randy was a good dude not a cold blooded murderer. Only god can judge him not you people. I’m sorry for the family of Michael.

• Michael's Big Sister says:

Thank you for staying with my brother as he moved from one life to another. You have provided me with some comfort in letting me know that my baby brother did not die alone. I hope that god blesses you immensely.

• Close friend of the Link family says:

I know I am a little late, but I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there for Michael. I loved that boy like he was my own son since I met him 13 years ago. He had a heart of gold and it was taken away from him out of one act of evil! He nor anyone else deserves this fate. I thank you for being there for him in these last moments of his life. I wish more than anything that moment did not happen, however since it did it I am thankful that he saw some kindness from a neighbor right before he left us! Thank you!!

• Mikey's cousin says:

I get on here daily and read these comments and as I read yours and your husbands I cried. I immediately called his mom and told her she too needed to read it. No one told her that he wasn’t alone. All we knew was someone identified the car. Mikey’s mom is such a determined woman and its SO hard to see her defeated. We have a large family to wrap around her but that doesn’t make it easier. Knowing things like this are the only way she could get through. Our whole family is in a state of shock even those of us who weren’t as close to him as others. We are so glad that he gets to come home and be remembered for who is was rather than by what a murderer tells. Most of the people on here know nothing about him, maybe if they knew that he was blind in one eye and could barely see out of the other they would realize that he Probably NEVER even knew there was a gun pointed at him until the bullet hit him. Maybe if they knew that Mikey had such a loving heart and that he NEVER carried a firearm himself they would stop saying that eventually he would have killed someone himself. Maybe if they knew he had a very young brother they wouldn’t post their hatred where others could see. I can’t speak for his mother but I personally would love to hear every detail of what you know. Why didn’t they tell us of you????? I don’t know your names I don’t know your ages I don’t know wether you are black, white,Asian, etc. but I have great love in my heart for you both. Not only for being by his side but for having the courage to get on her and say the things you did. I hope God blesses you in bounds and bounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way when I called his mom and told her she said….. “He sends me a sign everyday” :) thank you for bringing her a moments worth of peace.

• Joan says:

We found out yesterday that two of the individuals who at first were charged with knowingly and aiding to commit murder has been able to set bond and are among the general population in NC now. They have been seen out together as well. They were up to evil together the night Michael James Link was shot down in cold blood. I ask you NC, do you feel safe with the judgment call your local law enforcement has made?

• If you know so much says:

If you know so much, why wouldn’t you say something more than money was owed. Who owed the money specifically? How much was owed?

Don’t make a vague comment if you have no idea what you are talking about.

• joan says:

right back at you!!!!!!

• SWF42 says:

You people are as cold-hearted and ruthless as those kids that shot that young boy. Where is remorse any more? I hope and pray that you people never have to go through what his family is going through right now…planning their child’s funeral. You would never hear comments like this if it were to be some white kids that this happened to. And yes, their are plenty of white kids out there dealing and using drugs, too. I, as a white female, think that it shows nothing but ignorance on your part to make such nasty, vile, cruel comments. Remember, “Except for the grace of God go I.”

• no drug dealer here says:

your wicked tongue makes god mad.

• Nononoooo says:

I wasn’t referring to Michael. Only to the person who posted above me. No one deserves to die; I was just using his own logic against him, because it makes no sense.

• mel says:

People are so quick to judge I bet that you coward wouldn’t said that to any one face.you reply on the internet….your the scum. Your kid could next

• tlbaby says:

Very well put sir. so many people jump to the fight and attack the people saying such negative things. but i have a lot of respect for the way you made your point without pointing any fingers of your own. you must b a much better person than most of these people are

• kutthroat says:

wouldn’t have lied he’ll still be here instead of hell…

• Zoe says:

A “drug dealer” , really ? Do you know what drugs consist of ? If marijuana was really a drug, why would it become legalized in any state whatsoever ? Theres no annual deaths per year for weed, because no one can O.D. from it. No one has ever died from a “marijuana overdose” . it is not a drug, it is a plant, that grows, that kills cancer cells, tumors, calms people down, gets people who have eating disorders to eat. If someone does something stupid from smoking pot, it was their decision, it does not affect the brain to the extent where you are incapable of performing every day tasks like meth, crack cocaine, or any psychadelics, those mess with your brain. Now please, before you open your ignorant mouth, do your research. Also, it’s riddance* you illiterate twit, not residence. idiot.

• Zoe says:

wow dude, I hope your best friend, dad, mother, brother or sister, gets “taken out” , see how you feel.

• You Will Rot says:

May you rot in hell for saying terrible things about people you don’t know.

• Karma for smoking pot??? says:

Karma for smoking pot? May 50% of the world’s population be gunned down in cold blood, then! Your family members who smoke and you don’t know it? In your opinion, they all deserve to die. Yay! Go karma!

• Mikey is loved says:

Well this so called “drug dealer” that you say he got off the streets by murdering him was someone’s brother someone’s son someone’s uncle someone’s nephew someone’s brother in law someone’s grandson someone’s cousin and someone’s friend!! Even the worst of people can change with the grace of God but now he will never have that chance.

Good gosh……these are hood rats. Sooner or later the deceased would probably killed someone totally innocent. Good riddance to all of them. By the way, didn’t you make a similar comment about another Bozo thet got waxed?

• Paty says:

Mikey was a sweet kid who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The “drug dealer” is the murderer not the victim. People need to wait for all the facts to come out before judging him. His family is going through enough and don’t deserve having to read all the negative comments.

Rest in peace Mikey people here at home think of you kindly and with love.

• windy says:

“someone’s brother someone’s son someone’s uncle someone’s nephew someone’s brother in law someone’s grandson someone’s cousin and someone’s friend…”

If this isn’t justification for a spay-n-neuter program for this segment of our population, then I don’t know what is.

• Mikey is loved says:

Everyone has their own opinion and that’s all it is, its YOUR opinion. I’m sorry had you ever met the deceased?? Yes, that’s what I thought you hadn’t. For all we know he could have just been someone at the wrong place at the wrong time.He may not even have been the one they were really shooting at. The report above says NOTHING about finding ANYTHING on him, only on the 3 arrested. No one will ever know the truth, the only thing we will know is someone is dead. And you people who can be thankful for someone being dead and allowing it to be so public that their family may see, shame on you!!! Even Jesus Christ himself was done wrong in the eyes of justice. Just show some respect for the family invovled, they lost someone they loved and if any of you have any facts that prove this boy was a “drug dealer” or “hood rat” then maybe you should be in jail too because the only way to know what happened for sure you woulda had to been invovled yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Grand Ole Party says:

This so called drug dealer that is no longer on the street can no longer sell drugs to someone’s brother, someone’s son, someone’s uncle and blah blah blah. Good residence. Maybe he could have changed, but in the meantime how many lives would he have changed for the worse until then? It’s called karma.

• Realtcm says:

Ya know I understand your statement but in this situation it’s a little different. I know the kid who got shot and he’s a good kind hearted human being never touched a gun in his life he was no drug dealer I worked him in construction from time to time he didn’t have much money he doesn’t do hard drugs he smokes pot from time to time illegal yes but far from a drug dealer and a good kind hearted kid would take his shirt off his back for a stranger. I wasn’t there but from what I know of him he was there to buy twenty dollars of marijuana and that dirtbag shot and killed him over twenty bucks. Like I said I understand your statement and I’ve made some like it myself in life but to brush this off was a couple losers off the street is wrong mike link was a good man wrong place wrong time………

• Sc says:

Mike was no “drug dealer”! He was a nice kid, just trying to buy a little pot…like many kids his age.

• Stephanie says:

Do you know how ignorant you sound? Mike was a great kid, by no means a “hood rat” or murder. He was simply trying to buy a $20 bag of weed like many people his age do! Get your facts straight before you start making your ridiculous assumptions.

• Anonymous says:

Randy is a good good dude just a bad choice was made at the moment I know Michael had to do something to get wat he got not saying he deserved it

• Michaels loved one says:

Wow?!? Good father son and friend huh? Was he thinking about his kid or family or friends when he killed Michael?!? Nope!!! This isn’t just a mistake this is cold blooded murder!! Michael was the best person I know. He shot him twice and left him! What a good person huh?!? I truely hope he lives the rest of his pathetic life in guilt and hell. I have tried my hardest not to hate this man for what he has done but I can’t do it. I had to say goodbye to someone who I thought of as a BROTHER who would literally help anyone anyway he possibly could. We, michaels family, will NEVER be able to see him again. I had to hear his sister say on 4th of July that it was too soon to hear loud noises tht sounded like gunshots! His mother sisters dad brothers or the rest of his HUGE family will never be the same. Randy may have took michaels voice from him but his family is his voice now and bet we will shout it LOUD and CLEAR got me???

• Lady A says:

This young boy is a person, part of a family. No one deserves to be killed. I do hope the murderer receives no less than what is appropriate for his actions. RIP Michael. May God bless his family and help them find comfort.

• Michael's Sister says:

Love you, Mom. These people didn’t know Michael, and I am not letting their heartless comments hurt me. We know who he was, and we know his heart – it was absolutely golden. Our opinions matter; theirs don’t. I’ll be there Friday so we can lay our boy to rest and surround him with people who KNOW AND LOVE him one last time.

• joan stogsdill says:

my son was not involved with these people who killed him. he was with a so called friend who knew these people. he didn’t know anyone there but neighbors. he was blind in one and and could barely see out of the other one and never drove anywhere to meet or get people. where is the person who left my son to die alone. look into it.

• What? says:

You mean FRY.

• dat guy says:

idc what any1 say… FREE MY DUDE RANDY!!!… he really is a good dude

• that women says:

That’s what I’m saying if u know him u would love him he would give what he could loving father son brother especially a friend

• taxpayer says:

before Randy Lee’s “buddies” are here talking about what a great guy he is.

Well, to his credit, he took out a drug dealer and he and 2 other hood rats are off the street, so, not too bad of an outcome.

• joan says:

Randy is a not a good person. People who kill are evil and deserve to die and he will because he lives by the sword and the sword will kill…..

Haven’t they got enough people to shoot at in Wilmington?

• Guestwho says:

why don’t we take all the gang members all the drug dealers all the other scum bags and put them all in one place than sooner or later they will all be dead and solve all the normal people problems. This is the second white kid in the past year that has been killed by a group of blacks the white people need to start sticking together and stop this crap. The white people are the minorities now.

• Don Wrong says:

They eat their own

• tke1 says:

What?!? I cannot believe it. A drug dealer with a “stolen gun”. We have been told repeatedly by the anti-second amendment crowd that criminals just go down to the gun store and pick up a firearm. No background check, no permit, no nothing. Could they be mistaken or are they just self serving liberals who think everyone is foolish enough not to see through their tall tales? All the reforms outlined in all the proposed “gun violence” legislation would not have prevented this killing. Enforcing existing gun laws and mandatory active sentences for the possession and/or use of a firearm while committing a crime would send the message to crooks to get rid of the guns while you are doing your dastardly deeds.
    You want proof? Look at the DWI stats as the punishments get more rigid and mandatory jail sentences are handed out.
    You are not going to stop all shootings/killings. The best you can do is slow them down with sure, swift, severe punishments.

• Cousin says:

Really?!? My cousin Michael was a VERY good person he would take the shirt off of his back for ANYONE who needed it. This senseless act has caused my whole family such great pain! He was a son, a brother, a nephew, a cousin, an uncle, a brother in law, a loved one, and a GREAT friend. I don’t think anyone realizes what randy has taken from us. Michael was such a loving, caring, compassionate person and for anyone to speak of him in any other manner is wrong. You guys might get to see your “friend” one day but we will never get Michael back. And to disrespect someone who has lost their life is rude, uncalled for, and just plain wrong. We lost a great person and please stop putting negative comments on here! None of you know him!!! He touched all of our hearts in so many ways. We will always remember and love him so very much. So have respect for our family if u have any manners at all that is.

• Your memory says:

I wish everyone would take into consideration that Mike’s family reads these comments. He has a mother and a father and brothers and sisters who are grieve stricken. Most of you on the other hand never even knew him, for if you had you would know he was not what he is presieved to be in these posts. Did you all not learn at an early age that you cannot believe everything you hear or read? If you would like to make comments how about doing some research? Innocent people are killed everyday and once your gone it’s easy for others to make up “who” you were considering you are no longer around to defend yourself. Just stop and think, what if you ARE wrong? Would you have remorse for your words? The only people who know the truth are Mike, the people involved and God, so unless you are one of the three maybe you should just keep your opinions to yourselves!!