Everything you need to know for Downtown Wilmington fireworks

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 07/03/2013 - 3:43pm
Updated: Fri, 07/05/2013 - 3:08am By:

DOWNTOWN WILMINGTON, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — Vendors and music start at 5 p.m. on Water Street.

The fireworks show begins at 9:05 p.m.

Here are a few important tips to remember: Coming downtown Vehicles should park on the side of downtown (with Chestnut Street being the dividing line) that is closest to the direction they will travel after the fireworks have ended. See map at right, which is also posted on our website.

Parking Decks – the following decks will charge a $7 event fee beginning at 2 p.m.

· Market Street deck · 2nd Street deck

· NHC deck beside downtown library

· Convention Center parking deck

Water Street deck – upper level will be closed to pedestrians and vehicles. The lower level will be open for parking with access from Grace Street between Water and Front streets with a $10 event fee.

On street parking – free all day/evening Thursday.

Street closures

· The event area along Water Street will close at 1:30 p.m. for setup.

· Chestnut Street between Front and 3rd streets will close as early as 5 p.m. for WPD staging/traffic purposes.

· Streets west of 3rd Street toward the river to close as early as 6 p.m. (Once parking is no longer available, streets will close.)

Best view of fireworks – This year, the fireworks will be launched from a barge in the river instead of from Battleship Park, but the best viewing areas will remain the same. There will be a safety zone for 30 minutes after the fireworks around the launch site. No thru boating traffic will be allowed.

Check here for more detailed information, including a printable map with parking and street closure information.

• Vog46 says:

After having seen more than my fair share of fireworks displays I must say that seeing Wilmingtons display after having seen both New York and Washingtons during my lifetime you get a sense that Wilmington is in fact a small town/city with a small town budget for fireworks. That is not a slam either, you wouldn’t expect ILM to have a large display.
    To me, having seen it multiple times with the kids and grandkids is “enough”.
    So I leave it up to the parents now and I pursue more “gentlemenly” celebrations. And while Old Grand Dad is OK for quaffing, for sipping I prefer Old Forester or Four Roses. I’m sure there are others that are more preferable to most bourbon connoisseurs but I’m a relatively plain guy, with plain tastes, and I just buy what I like………

Vog

• Vog46 says:

Here’s everything I need to know about the down town fireworks.
    It will be hot
    it ill be congested
    parking will be a b___ch
    Kids will be scared
    Some people will be high and or drunk
    The show will be too short

Been there, done that.
    On the 4th I will lock my keys away and hoist two fingers of bourbon in celebration of our country’s birthday sometime in the evening. I will listen to the far off booms of the fireworks and find joy in the fact that I’m not in that traffic nightmare trying to come home……
    Happy Birthday America………..

Vog

Don’t you ever get tired of being a negative, depressing, insufferable jerk?

• fleebailey says:

I enjoy watching tax dollars go up in smoke.

Now we know what the three letters stand for….
    Well, we’ve heard of “middle aged man” from SNL…. Those letters are the next stage:

“Very Old Guy”

The referenece to the Bourbon is what let the cat out of the bag.

Can’t really say I disagree with your assessmen, although I probably have to go.

• an unhappy wilmingtonian says:

Having gone downtown for 9 yrs; I was sad that I bothered this year.
    I do not know what they thinking by moving them over behind
    The tallest building on the river?
    It was the worst year ever.
    We were sitting on Princess St and viola could not see.
    We had thought about going onto of the water street deck
    which would have been perfect but alas it was closed too.
    So Thank you City of Wilmington for ruining one of the best displays
    By making it unable to see and wasting tax dollars on something
    unviewable.
    Smart Management.

• Guestginger says:

You speak for many! Poor old fella.