FIRST ON 3: Church trip chaperone accused of indecent liberties with kids

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 07/12/2013 - 3:59am
Updated: Tue, 07/23/2013 - 5:04pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Arrest warrants say a Stanly County man who helped chaperone a church trip to Fort Caswell organized a game of strip poker with children.

According to the warrants Clyde Wesley Way, 68, played strip poker and strip war with four boys under 14. When they were completely naked, the boys were required to stand up and show their genitalia, the warrants say.

Way was arrested in Stanly County last night to face 24 charges in Brunswick County related to incidents involving boys ages 10 to 13 in late June at the North Carolina Baptist Assembly at Fort Caswell.

Way faces 16 counts of sexual exploitation of minors and four counts of indecent liberties with a child among other charges.

Way was not an employee of Fort Caswell. He was a volunteer student ministries team leader for the Stanly Baptist Association. The association says Way has been removed from his position after the incident.

The children attending the camp reported their chaperone’s inappropriate behavior to parents who notified their pastor and the Baptist Association, according to Hal Bilbo, associational missionary. After meeting with parents and the volunteer, the association immediately notified the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office.

Way is in the Stanly County Detention Facility under $350,000 bond.

The Bible speaks of people who proclaim to know Christ that are not Christians. This is true of Baptists, Catholics and all other denominations.

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7:15-23

• Vog46 says:

This creep does his thing at camp.
    The kids, when they get home tell their parents
    The parents tell their pastor and the Baptists Association

But BEFORE they tell the cops…
    The Association meets with the parents and the volunteer?
    THEN tell the cops?

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt but to me they should KNOW what he did was illegal. So why the meeting prior to involving law enforcement?

Vog

• Jane Doe says:

Authorities need to contact the church in Maryland where he was a youth minister for many years to talk with youth who traveled to Centrifuge with him. There are stories to be told.

Say what you want about the Baptists, at least they did the right thing and immediately notified law enforcement. There was no cover up, no sweeping it under the rug (i.e., Penn State, Catholic church). Hopefully justice will be served and these boys will be ok.

• Not Blinded says:

I have also known this family for years, and I assure you, you don’t know all that you think you do….ask Clyde about the “masterbation classes” in Centrifuge….ask him why he was involved in that. There are so many people this man has hurt, please don’t be so blinded by your friendship with him that you refuse to see the trueth…he may have not hurt you or your family, may even seem like some kind of Saint to you, but that does not mean he has never done something to someone else, and the Devil isn’t always so easy to see…..sometimes, he even hides inside good old family friends.

• dean bailey says:

is he a good christian republican . that the best kind of christian. we need more like him

• S.Collins says:

Since you have all decided that this individual is guilty before trial, I would like to add that I have known this man and his wife and some members of his family for many years and hesitate to accept your determination that he has done the things he has been accused of by these four young boys. I know many young people that he has worked with for many years and every one of them only have positive things to say about him and they find these charges difficult to believe. If
    he is truly guilty he will have to face a bigger judge than the one he will face here on this earth. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family and also these four young boys.

• lostwithquestions says:

This man was my youth leader in my church over 20 years ago in another state. I have so many mixed emotions about all of this. Its hard to believe. I’m just lost and worried. would you be willing to tell me what state this happened to your family?

• Cautionary Tale says:

If he is indeed a christ follower, he has no fear of earthly offenses. What should lay heavy on everyone’s heart is that if some comments are true, there have been crimes perpetrated in other states. I looked into this Centrifuge place, it is in Tennessee and one person said he was a minister in Maryland. How are other possible victims to even know that they may not be alone? Don’t they deserve more than to assume justice will be served for Clyde Way in the afterlife? Doesn’t the bible have earthly justice? It just doesn’t seem fair to ask the possible victims to pray away their feelings. I’m glad his family is supporting him, maybe they should release a statement or speak to the news. The silence of it all is the worst. If he is such an upstanding citizen, well then great, but if he is guilty, I hope others come forward. It is time to stop hiding these men behind cloaks of invulnerability. If he has done great deeds, fantastic, if he is indeed the monster the comment section is making him out to be, then I hope for a swift conviction and a life sentence because that is what the victims of all child predators are serving.

• Guestomfg says:

I would rather be an Atheist than a christian who gets their jollies from abusing children.

I was thinking this guy went to scotts hill baptist. There are a bunch of crazy self ricious nutt jobs that go to that church. He would fit right in.

• tke1 says:

Since you have thrown politics into the picture, it seems I remember a Democrat president who was disbarred for PERJURY (that is lying after swearing on the Holy Bible), lied to the world on TV about having an adulterous affair while president, in the White House.
    Seem there was another democrat congressman who, after being forced out of office for having sexual relations with an under age page, got 3 standing ovations from the Democrat side of the house.
    Yes, we are proud of the left too.
    Now, tell me what in the world this has to do with a pervert messing with a bunch of kids?

• Brooke says:

CHRISTIANS do not “get their jollies from abusing children.” The fact is, This man is a pervert. All im saying is if I look at an apple tree, I expect that tree to be producing apples. When I look at a TRUE, BORN AGAIN, BOUGHT BY THE BLOOD CHRISTIAN, I expect to see fruits of the holy spirit. This man was not acting like a Christian, instead he use that as a “mask” to get close to children. Why does it always have to be about religion. Why couldn’t you have just read the article and thought, man that’s just disgusting. Why couldn’t you have just decided to leave comments supporting the family that this has happened to? Why did you read it, see that he was at a Baptist Camp, assume that he was a Christian, and decide to bash God and everyone that stands for God? This is a sad world! JUST STATING THE FACTS! And be an atheist if you choose. You have free will. I will pray for you! Hopefully you will choose God before your life is gone.

• AYouthLeader says:

I am a Baptist & have been organizing trips to summer camp for youth for the past two summers, and our group attended Caswell last summer. The Baptist State Convention of NC places the responsibility on individual churches to conduct all background screening on chaperones that will be attending camp with children, and churches have to sign an affidavit attesting to the fact that the screening has been conducted upon arrival to the camp. This man has no criminal record, so even with thorough background screening, the church probably had no clue of this man’s penchant for sexual perversion. Sexual predators often have an uncanny way of being able to hide their activity for years on end. This incident is tragic but I don’t think any future change in policy could stop this from happening again. As for the ignorant display of Baptist bashing going on in this comment thread, let me say this: until you know every single Southern Baptist personally and can make a judgment call based on that knowledge, don’t generalize. Hypocrites exist both within the confines of faith and out.

• Post Modernist says:

It’s Badtist, not Baptist, with the emphasis on BAD.

How do I know? I am a former Badtist who is so relieved not to be a member of the most hateful church in America. Think about it.

AS someone who knows how easy it is for a wolf to appear in sheep’s clothing, I can honestly say that you cannot judge this man by how he acts around you. Predators are very good at hiding who they really are, that is how they get by with it for so long.

Guilty or not, he will face judgment in the next life, but he will also face judgment on earth.

They probably wanted to make sure it wasn’t a couple of the kids fabricating the story. When I was in high school, one of the students accused a teacher of inappropriate conduct. The school and law enforcement handled the investigation and when everything was laid out, the girl admitted to making it up. Alas, it was too late. The teacher’s reputation was ruined and so was his career.

Once these kids’ stories were corroborating each other, that’s when the church went to the cops. I think they handled it reasonably.

• GuestBeach says:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. However, it does not matter whether you are a Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Free Will, Presbyterian, Muslim, Hebrew, or Pentecostal, what happened with this low life can happen in any denomination. This is just not an incident that is singled out just to this location. Where I worked many years ago, we had to arrest a Presbyterian minister who had been soliciting in a shopping mall restroom to have sex with youngsters.
    SO, don’t think that just because you go to another type of church or are no longer a Baptist you are in a better congregation. This evil happens EVERYWHERE. Personally knowing the Director of the camp, he did exactly what he needed to do and not go off half cocked. Just as in any law enforcement investigation the fact HAVE to be established before charges can be pressed.
    So, he who is without sin, let them cast the first stone.

• momof6 says:

I agree, with S. Collins. he was our youth leader for many years in Glen Burnie, He would do anything for the kids. He was always there to take someone in, give them a shoulder to cry on, or just an ear to listen to their problems. He has our family support!

• Nice Try says:

If you are suffering, don’t suffer alone, seek counseling, then talk to your local authorities. I hope you find healing.

• Stephanie Carter says:

With great people that do a lot for the community. I have been there 20 years and I am proud to be a member! Not to mention a great pastoral staff.

• CheckYourEmotions says:

I understand that you are happy that a story like this would be made PUBLIC… but are you really happy that children were abused? You seem so happy! This does not seem like a happy occasion. I think you need to rethink your emotions.

• GuestBullisht says:

dean, you art truly a turd, the kind that always HAS to float up to the top of the punch bowl. You idiot, this isn’t Republican or Democrat; Christian or Non. This is an accused sex offender who is entitled to a fair trial. My prayers go out to my conservative Baptist friends who have to endure the idiocy you spew while dealing with the impact on their good names damaged by the actions of this offender.

• PublicAvenger says:

In the Catholic Church they don’t caste stones. They use the stones to build a wall of protection, around their pedophile priests.

• Vindicated says:

I can’t tell you how happy I am to see this article. I knew this day would finally come, now my son no longer has to share the shame, guilt and anger. We believed him and now everyone else will too! Prepare for the fallout. I’m 100% positive there will be many, many more in many states!

• Guestomfg says:

Pray away. I will hope for you, hope that you see the truth and stop fooling yourself with your belief in myths.

• tke1 says:

NOTE TO ANTI-RELIGION ADVOCATES:
    Being a Christian does not make one perfect. It allows you to be forgiven if you TRULY repent. You are still accountable to the laws of man and God.
    A lot of pedophiles seek careers that allows them an opportunity to find victims easily (ministry, Scout leaders, YMCA, teaching, etc.) Some, but not a lot, develop their perversions after they practice their profession.
    I don’t see a lot of the critics here condemning all school teachers when one has sex with a student.

• Anger says:

Of course I am not happy innocent children were abused, don’t be daft. What I am happy about is that four very brave boys stood up and said something and that it is leading to an investigation. Four children and their families have opened the door for others and declared that we won’t suffer in silence. If you’ve ever taken the time to work with those who suffer through misconduct by an adult, you would understand the fear and shame it represents and how that shame and fear keeps them quiet. Especially for men. A society that teaches men to be strong and “get over it” keeps a lot of misdeeds silent. Masculinity and social expectations of boys and men – such as being tough and unemotional – and attitudes surrounding same-sex sexual relations, can lead to under reporting and limited attention and services for male victims of sexual exploitation.
    Maybe I should reword happy to relieved. Moreover, let’s not distract from the story by arguing over my emotional response. The main focus in this entire ordeal should be those four boys (and any who may feel confident to come forward now) who have had their lives changed forever. They are all that matter.

• Brooke says:

My heart breaks for those of you who deny God! Its going to be a sad day when you hear “Depart from me, I never knew you.” Its going to be too late. All these chances you had to accept Christ will be no more. I pray that God have mercy on your souls and softens your hearts so that you can see that there is in fact a God. The one True God, who sent his son, Jesus Christ to die on a cross so that even people like you all who deny Him, could be saved. He gives us a choice. Live for Him, or not. I choose life. I choose God. It don’t matter how far you have gone. HE STILL LOVES YOU AND IS WILLING TO RECEIVE YOU RIGHT NOW. ARMS WIDE OPEN. Choose life, choose God.

• RSimmons says:

Among his Facebook likes: He like Jesus, the GOP, Freedom Works and Mitt Romney. No surprise there, just another sicko from the right-wing. You all must be proud.

• SurfCityTom says:

if you read the post thoroughly. It was very clear, in the first article, he was not an employee in Caswell Beach.

• Brooke says:

Your comment just proves that there is always going to be someone who criticizes the church. Its unfortunate that a man who claimed to be a Christian, committed such an act, but know that him being a Southern Baptist has nothing to do with it, so your opinion on southern Baptist was unnecessary.

I don’t usually comment of stuff like this, but it hit me in my core. I am southern Baptist. and you are absolutely right about one thing, “God’s word–the Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it.” And we do believe in once saved always saved, but where you are confused is in the comment you made:

“So once you are “saved,” you can commit any old sin–even sins as abhorrent as the ones this man committed.”

WRONG! If you are TRUELY saved, and a true child of God, you will not want or need to commit “any old sin–even sins as abhorrent as the ones this man committed.” And if you do

Also, I do not hate gays, I am not racist, I am not hypocritical, or any of the other things you described a “Southern Baptist” to be.

What I really want to know, is why you even decided to through dirt on Southern Baptist? I mean is that necessary? Lets just face the facts. This man is a pervert. Whether he was a clergyman of the Southern Baptist denomination, an atheist, a doctor, a musician, or whatever, he was a pervert. People like him prey on children. Children that look up to him, and trust him.

All this is, is another sign that We are in the last days. I believe that because my Bible, GODS WORD, tells me so:

“This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.” 2 Timothy 3:1 KJV

Sure sounds like the world we live in today huh?

• bk says:

This type of conduct is NOT CONDONED by Southern Baptists. To state that their belief that once saved always saved means you can commit any sin and it be considered “ok” is a ridiculous conclusion. Southern Baptist agencies have strict guidelines in place which requires authorities be contacted IMMEDIATELY if such an activity of this type takes place. This man was a VOLUNTEER FOR HIS CHURCH, not a worker at the camp. Their workers are strictly screened and supervised. The camp is SAFE FOR KIDS as long as the groups attending PROPERLY SCREEN AND SUPERVISE those working with their kids. The Assembvly have been very proactive in making sure each church bringing groups knows to screen and supervise their students. Students stay WITH THEIR OWN CHURCH GROUP at this camp. They students are with the PEOPLE WHO KNOW AND BROUGHT THEM. Again,it was NOT the camp staff.
    This “repressive” denomination is also one of the first groups to respond when disasters happen from setting up special units on the grounds of the Pentagon following the 911 attack, to hurricane relief in New Jersey this fall and tornado relief this spring. Southern Baptists have had their share of failures as it is a group of FLAWED HUMANS as we all are. But to say that it would in any say what this man did was ok is wrong.

• jcadd says:

Have you ever been to a Southern Baptist Church? All you are is an uninformed loud-mouth looking to cast shame on the LARGEST PROTESTANT DENOMINATION in America. I am a Southern Baptist. And we do believe once saved always saved, but we also believe that to be saved, you actually have to repent and mean it! Someone who does this was probably not saved in the first place. Let me throw another shocker at ya! I am from Stanly County, and this guy is not even a native. He is originally from up north somewhere. My whole county is ashamed of him, and my association immediately dismissed him as soon as this was brought to the surface.

On another note, we don’t hate gay people or any group of people for that matter. We just do not condone what they do. Women are also welcomed in any leadership position in the church with the exception of pastor. We believe that women and men are equal, but they their roles in the church are different.

The fact that you would even bring up the Southern Baptist Church as being found my slave owners is absurd. Yes, that is how it was founded, but things have changed a lot since then. I am not sure if you know the president of the SBC, but his name is Fred Luter, and he is an African-American. Wow, we are such racists, yet we have unanimously chosen for a black man to lead our denomination.

Why don’t you pull your head out of wherever you have it, and get with the program? Thanks.

• jcadd says:

He is from NC, just not from Stanly County. I know he moved up north for a while and was working at a church up there before coming back to NC.

• Peter Pan says:

Not sure that the Southern Baptists hate gays and/or they deny women the rights of men (as they are so terribly liberal)… But “once saved… always saved” is certainly their belief. And we know positively that “once saved… always saved” is NOT what God nor the Bible teaches. Currently seeking a church to attend… and it’s sooo hard with all the false teachings/preaching’s out there. So many people being led down a deadly path… right into hell.

God has given us all the free will to choose right from wrong. This man chose to sin. The evils that happen are because of man’s depravity.

• Jessica says:

Oh, you mean he’s human? Thanks for pointing that out Tom.

• YuYu says:

My, my, my. This Baptist man–a family man, no doubt– deserves some serious punishment for his unspeakable crimes.

Is God dead? Maybe not, but he surely does allow lots of evil to be inflicted on children, doesn’t he? And the suffering he puts them through with all kinds of horrible illnesses.

As I said, God may not be dead, but there is not much evidence that he’s alive in this world. And if he is alive, he doesn’t seem to give a hoot what happens.

So much for God . . .

• Guest1971 says:

He could have been a temporary worker at Caswell for the summer. They employee a lot of staff for the summer to support all of the youth camps that they host.

I know he is in custody but I was more concerned on whether Caswell had employed him & there being some holes in their screen process for people who work with children.

It helps to not make assumptions about what a poster is saying.

• jhnorris says:

The man is a Baptist, and he’s a married man with children. I just googled him.

The Southern Baptists are an interesting (!) denomination.

They can explain anything according to “God’s word–the Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it.”

And one more thing. The Southern Baptists (most morally regressive of all denominations) believe “Once saved, always saved.”

Southern Baptists are not only hypocritical; they are also morally regressive. They hate gays, deny women the rights of men, and beneath the surface are racist to the bone. The Southern Baptist Church was created by slave owners because the Northern Baptist Assembly would not allow slave owners to be missionaries.

• Du says:

The premise of his topic was “As a Catholic, I’m always hearing how “Only Catholic priests are focused in on, by the media”. This is a headline story, of a situation that happened hundreds of miles away, just like whenever a teacher is arrested.” This had nothing to do with the story…the accusations are based on events that were local, not hundreds of miles away. There was no mention of Catholics in the article…he brought it into the discussion. Therefore, it should be obvious that he wanted to rant about his disgust with Catholics, which are unrelated to anything in this article. I didn’t see mention of his being a parishioner, either, although I would hope he embraced what is a wonderful faith. Being part of the solution may help.

• PublicAvenger says:

I am a Catholic. And what is going on, in my church, makes me sick. In the last year it was proven, that the cardinals in Philadelphia, and Los Angeles, were lying and mandating the coverup up of many pedophile priests, as recently as two years ago. These lies were exposed 10 years after the “Dallas Charter of 2002″. Which has proven to be, nothing but words. It has been broken dozens of times, by the bishops and cardinals, themselves, and there has been absolutely no enforcement of it. Neither by the bishops, nor the Vatican.

This proof was obtained, not by the Catholic Church, but only through prosecution by civil authorities. The Catholic League, and the respective Catholic Diocese, fought this discovery of this evidence, every step of the way. A complete violation of the Dallas Charters supposed “Transparency Mandate”.

As horrible as this Baptist leader is, at least the Baptist don’t have this mandated “Wall Of Silence” protecting monsters like him.

• Angewidert says:

His topic was on how the Roman Catholic church was COMPLAINING about only priests being focused on.

His point was that the Baptists, unlike the Catholic church weren’t blaming this incident on the media. Only a fool couldn’t discern that from his post and realize that was related to the topic.

Didn’t realize he needed a personal note from his priest written to you certifying he was a parishioner. Too bad you were born so late; several hundred years ago you could have been with the inquisition or maybe you could have been one of those demons who murdered others for printing bibles in a language other than Latin.

FYI: You have no business questioning anyone’s faith or their religious principles. You’re a sanctimonious piece of hypocritical piety.

• PublicAvenger says:

Thanks Ange
    I couldn’t have said it better myself. It sickens me, when people in my church, the Catholic Church, shield these priests / monsters, who rape children. And please Du, show me any Baptist group, attacking WWAY, or any other news source, for exposing this creep. I can show you plenty of Catholic groups who do.

• Angewidert says:

When PublicAvenger says he’s a “Catholic”, who are you to refer to that as his “alleged” religion?

The Roman Catholic church has been misguided, not this parishioner who’s simply pointing out where the church is wrong.

If the Roman Catholic Church had been continuing “to try to actively and proactively address” these problems, they wouldn’t keep popping up so often. It’s been centuries since a Pope stepped down. Why do you think one did so recently?

The only one with unresolved issues is you and the body politic of the Roman Catholic church. It takes a ton of gall to attack PublicAvenger by describing his personal faith as “what you claim as your religion” inferring that if he doesn’t go along with the church’s cover-up he’s a bad Catholic. He’s interested in fixing the problem, not defending it.

It’s going to take more than just blind faith to attempt to navigate yourself through your own personal journey if you attempt to do so with your eyes wide shut.

You’re praying for PublicAvenger? PublicAvenger should be praying for you!

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

Comments like this disgust me! It’s the world’s biggest con (ie religion) that is responsible for crap like this happening to children. Maybe if people didn’t believe in the imaginary sky fairy and “pray” to make it all better and actually do something, things would get better. Unfortunately, most of the world is too stupid to wake up and realize that religion is nothing but a big money con and just want to pray for someone else to help them instead of doing for themselves.

• Gustafo says:

If your god was there in the first place, would he allow this type of sinister behavior? I’ll pray to an imaginary god that you start thinking in your right mind instead of some sort of Aesop’s Fables you’ve been believing in since you’ve been indoctrinated while your brain was still mush as a young child.

• Sober1 says:

Dear Lord,

I pray a most urgent prayer for all of the young people in this world who are suffering at the hands of adults for their own sinister sexual pleasure. Please help free our most vulnerable children from the horrors they may be experiencing. Oh dear Lord, please hear my prayer and all the prayers of people who seek to the end of suffering for our greatest gift from you: our children.

Thank you Lord for sending your healing power.
    In the name of our dear Lord, Jesus Christ.
    AMEN

• bk says:

THis should not be an indictment on the camp. Each group provides its own chaperones. We were there at this time, but did not stay with this group. Each of our chaperons have a background check done and we have strict guidelines to reduce the chance of this happening.

• Jennifer says:

My children were scheduled to go to this the 1st week of June. At the last minute we decided not to send them. Boy are we glad we didn’t. Just sad you can’t send your kids to a camp where they can feel safe….

• Guest-o-matic says:

…ALL genetalia should be promptly removed. Provide him with a 1/2″ long tube through which to do his business. Problem solved, never to happen from this person again…EVER!

There are people that would consider this “Cruel and unusual punishment”. I see that it is quite appropriate for the crime and extremely preventative. I get sick and tired of hearing about young childrens lives being forever ruined because of sneaky, sniveling, cloaked in God’s name perverts like this!!!

• kzpony says:

I totally agree that the punishment should be as life devastating as what he has done to these innocent boys. Disgusting pervert.

• Guest1971 says:

Actually you should ask about screening for anyone working with children – sports teams, scouts, etc. Creeps will look for the easiest way to get access to kids.

• Guest1971 says:

Thank you for the information. Churches need to screen everyone who works with children/youth. If you have a child in a church program ask if they screen ALL volunteers & what protections they have in place to protect children from predators like this.

You are absolutely right. A victim of a layman is no less scarred for life than a victim dressed in minister’s clothing. Regardless of what mask a pedophile chooses, the child serves a life sentence. The predator should not get a lighter sentence than the one he gives his victim.

• Vog46 says:

There’s nothing good to say about creeps like this.
    Whether they are in cassocks or not this type of thing is a blight upon the landscape of earth.

Vog

I suggest you read the article again. No where does it say this man was a clergyman. It specifically said it was an adult volunteer chaperoning a group of youth from Stanly County.

But I agree this was a dispicable act and that his actions will get street justice in prison.

• Church member says:

Dear readers,
    I was assaulted at a choir concert in Brunswick
    County in the south end of the county. If my husband
    Had not been there to witness it. The church was packed and church members
    who saw it were shocked. I t wd have been sweeped
    Under the rug if my hubby had not been there.
    I am a Christian but there comes a time where
    You have to up hold the law. My husband told the pastor
    That night it happen that he was taking me to the sheriff’s
    Department to take a warrant out on the lady. The pastors
    Did nothing. !!!! Both pastors were warned about how This lady
    Had been treating me while I worked there and they both disregard
    My concerns. I have had special training in the area of such behavior
    And I had warned them that she was going to hurt me. They where told 5 months
    Before the incident (this was the 4th time they were warned.)
    My husband and I were getting up to leave and she came at me twice
    And pushed me real hard. I had to go to doctor because my ribs hurt.
    I got one phone call from one of the pastors the day after it happen, that was
    It. The music director spoke to her . She did more than anyone. This lady was allowed
    To continue playing her hand bells, be a women on a committe called UMW a nd serve a leadership
    Position , and the church members did nothing because the Pastors told everyone to not speak
    About it. I stopped going to church there for over a yr. I had sickness in my stomach ever time I wanted to go.
    If I had not been apart of a church growing up and did not know The Lord. I
    Would have stopped going to church.

If you break the Law you have to pay the price. It does not matter what area or
    Place you are at. This is why
    we have laws to protect everyone.
    My prayers go out to the children and their parents. They did the right thing.

• pharaoh says:

Yet another clergyman molesting young boys. While there are numerous pedophiles out there, the absolute worst offenders are the priests, ministers and other church leaders who use their religious ‘godly’ powers in this way.

His justice will come once he’s in prison and ultimately let out into the general prison population where he will be at the bottom of the food chain. And his new friends won’t be so nice.

• GuestMan. says:

You are right. You won’t find an athiest in a foxhole. I don’t think you will find an athiest anywhere you look because there is no such thing.
    It’s atheist, you idiot!

• GuestMan. says:

I’m awestruck by your blathering, vapid conversation.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…regardless of a simple spelling error. Have you been doing the name-calling thing for very long or is your fifth wife still allowing you to get away with it like your mother did? Geeez….

• Guest: me says:

Maj. I guess no atheist have NEVER been charged with child molestation. Atheism is a form of “Beliefs”. You get your morals from somewhere. What makes your beliefs and morals any different from anyone who believes in a Supreme God? When you can say atheist would never do this, then your opinion may hold more weight, but the truth is, no organization or group of people can honestly say this. It’s self-rightous on your part to waive a “holier than thou” banner. Do you believe this conduct is wrong? If so, has there ever been an atheist charged with this? What makes your beliefs any better than those you judge? You see, just because you choose to not believe in a Supreme God doesn’t mean you don’t believe in something. This goes way beyond religion.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

Your comments have no basis in reality! First…they are most definitely atheists in the military and in foxholes. Check out the global humanist page on facegook…photos of atheists service members are often there. Furthermore…if you think morals are a christian invention then it just makes you a weak person in my mind. You are essentially saying you don’t commit crimes/murder because you are afraid of hell.

Furthermore…there were laws and rules against murder, theft, etc… LONG before christianity was around. Do your research please…then try to argue with me.

• GuestMan. says:

Your last comment is spoken like a true church-going hypocrite. Mybe you should try being an athiest(whatever that is) because the religion thing obviously isn’t working for you.

• Guest-o-matic says:

I can’t and will not argue with someone of your stature and beliefs. As stated, a person without principle, honor and any sort of conviction has no ground to stand on, only self-based opinion and an extremely shallow vision of our grand existence. Arguing with you would be quite similar to arguing with Jeffery Dahmer over the preferred taste of beef vs. human flesh, or with John Wayne Gacey concerning his desire of young men vs. women. As I remember, you have some of these self-admitted paradox’s that haunt you and have since you were a child. Those are for YOU to deal with, not me.

I can also assure you that you have absolutely no idea of my religious convictions and especially my fears. I simply have enough education and experience to realize that all of the beautiful living entites that populate this beautiful and complex Earth are not the result of a spontaneous event that occurred as a brief “poof” of an outer space anomaly. I can assure you as well, that my research goes well beyond your wildest imagination!

• Guest-o-matic says:

Because with your attitude and name-calling propensity, you most likely never had a woman that could tolerate you for more than five minutes, so you wound up gay like Maj. and blamed it on “confusion since you were a child”.

Do you still hate your mother for that?

• GuestMan. says:

No, I don’t hate mine. I hate yours for having you and your bible-thumping idiocy.

• Guest-o-matic says:

That will make for a very stressful life, I sure hope your statins are working. In all of my posts above, I don’t recall any “bible-thumping” at all. Only promoting the idea that all of this didn’t just arbitrarily and spontaneously come to be. If you’ve walked through your life and never been awestruck either on a small scale or a large scale, a microscopic scale, a medical scale, an engineering scale or otherwise taken off your feet by seeing anything spectacularly beautiful, wondrous or thought provoking, I truly pity you! That would be about as one-dimensional as possible.

• GuestO'Day says:

Dang, GuestMan, do spelling police cars have blue or red lights on them? One of my favorite Chomsky quotes on atheism is “I would first want an explanation of what it is that I’m supposed to not believe in, and I’ve never seen an explanation.”

• Guest-o-matic says:

I suppose it’s one thing to be an athiest, but it’s totally another to demoralize, decry and insult those that happen to believe there is something bigger, more powerful and creative than ourselves. The spontaneous appearance of anything to include even one-celled organisms, much less the complex process of birth and developement of the human body, defy any current scientific explanation. We don’t even have the ability to cure a common cold and stave off other deadly viruses. Nobody has yet to explain where that elusive first Hydrogen atom came from or why.

Ya know Maj, the ignorance of a post like yours is tolerable to those that have a hint of intelligence and are able to understand you, but your beating down of people that don’t agree with your simplistic opinion of how and why life exists, isn’t.

I’ve always said, “You’ll NEVER find an athiest in a foxhole!” There are two basics reasons for that.

1. When those blazing mortars zip over your head only inches away or you’re in imminent danger of annihilation by your enemy, you scream, “OH GOD!!!” and fill your boots up with sludge.

2. This second reason speaks for itself. An athiest isn’t going to fight for anything that means anything. They haven’t a basis for anything, so principle doesn’t matter, honor doesn’t matter and morals are meaningless. You simply avoid the opportunity to be in the foxhole in the first place.

Perhaps now, you at least understand what a foxhole is.

• Guest 10101 says:

Well said.

• PublicAvenger says:

If this monster was a Catholic priest, The Catholic League, The Knights of Columbus, The American Council of Catholic Bishops, and the Vatican, would immediately be attacking the news source. Calling it “biased”, and demanding, “equal criticism of the other religions”. And calling the news source “Anti-Catholic”.

Every group has a few horrible trolls, like this. Thank God the NC Baptist Assembly, sees this wolf, as this as the enemy, instead of an “anointed man, to be protected, at all costs”.

Instead of attacking a pedophile priest, the Catholic League attacks the media’s report of them. My church could sure learn something from the NC Baptist. And thank you WWAY, for exposing this fifthly child molesting criminal. Thank God we don’t have a bunch of NC Baptist, rallying behind this monster, calling WWAY “Anti-Baptist”.

• Du says:

Did you read the article at all? The allegations indicate they happened at the NC Baptist assembly (Caswell Beach, NC). This alleged pedophile is a resident of another town.
    Your comments about you alleged religion make you seem misguided. The Catholic faith has certainly had its share of problems, and continues to try to actively and proactively address them. This is the same as what I believe all religious organizations are obligated to do. To try and turn this into an opportunity to attack what you claim as your religion indicates unresolved issues in your journey.
    I pray you will find the strength and trust to help you.

• kzpony says:

You can’t trust your children with anyone. There are sickos everywhere!

• Guest1971 says:

Was he an employee of the Baptist Assembly at Fort Caswell or did he travel there with a church youth group or did he just manage to get on the grounds to commit these crimes? It is really important to understand how this happened so that families with children scheduled to attend events at Fort Caswell this summer can assess whether they still want to let their children go.

• SurfCityTom says:

he is in custody in Stanley County. He is a resident of Albemarle.

He’s not local.

It helps if you read the entire piece before asking questions.

• purple says:

According to his Facebook post, he volunteered to go with the youth from Bethlehem Baptist in Albemarle. So he is not a Caswell employee.

• BillyRay25 says:

This creep is 68 years old. Nothing comes up under his name on the NC inmate search. It’s probably the first time he has been caught. Now the terrible question is: How long has he gotten away with it, and how many victims over the years?

• tke1 says:

Please do not confuse these lefty democrats with FACTS.