FIRST ON 3: WPD investigates a series of sex assaults in Downtown Wilmington

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 07/15/2013 - 10:43pm
Updated: Tue, 07/16/2013 - 12:03pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington Police say three women were sexually assaulted over the past few weeks.

But, what they are mostly concerned about is the fact that none of the victims can remember the attacks.

Police say although the women could not remember the assaults, victims told police they felt as if they had been sexually violated.

“It’s tough to see somebody in that position,” Wilmington Police Lieutenant George Perkins said. “And know that for a period of time they had no idea what was going on with their physical body.”

He says three women recently found themselves confused about what happened during a night out downtown.

“We had one who woke up on the Best Western in Market, knew she was downtown, but had lost a period of time,” Perkins said. “She knew she was drinking downtown, then lost memory of what happened over several, several hours. We had another female who was found by several police officers downtown, walking the street with nothing on from the waist down. She had obviously been in some type of struggle based on the way her shirt was and that kind of stuff. And then we had the one over this past weekend.”

Investigators say the victims were taken to the hospital, where they were treated and released.

Wilmington Police spokeswoman, Linda Rawley says all three women were intoxicated at the time, but there is no word yet if they were drugged.

Rawley says she is concerned about the string of assaults, and advises women to be more vigilant of themselves and their drinks.

She says their downtown unit is beefing up patrol in light of the recent events.

“They’re going to be looking out for women who are overly intoxicated; trying to monitor them to make sure they get to their car safely,” Rawley said, “But we’re just trying to look out for, in and around areas where bars are, where women are coming out that are heavily intoxicated. We’re just going to be paying a lot of attention to them.”

As police try to figure out if the cases are connected, some in Downtown Wilmington said they expect crimes like sexual assaults to happen there.

“Obviously, it’s a shame but it doesn’t surprise me,” said Jonathan Olson, a bartender.

“No not at all. I was surprised it was so low of a number you were giving me,” Brandon Warren, who frequents downtown bars.

No women we tried to talk to in Downtown Wilmington about the assaults wanted to go on camera.

• DollarDivots says:

Is the rape drug, wonder if the victims were tested?

• Vog46 says:

A woman does not DESERVE to be raped under any circumstance.

But lets think a minute on this situation.
    Were they drinking? Yes. To excess? More than likely, but that alcohol was probably enhanced by some sort of drug.

But at it’s core – drinking is involved – and drinking impairs judgement. For some it takes only “a couple” for others, much more but in all cases impairment happens.
    Where’s the anger directed towards the server? They too have a responsibility to shut off someone who has had too much.
    Where are the designated drivers? I was never caught drinking and driving but believe me, in my younger days I sure did do it. I was also a bartender for awhile and saw first hand what drinking does – and had to attend several classes as the state I was in had laws pertaining to servers. I was fortunate in that my boss always backed me up when I shut off a patron – even those who came often and spent loads of money – there was never a question. I even shut of the Bosses father once and the Boss thanked me AND drove Dad home that night.
    Our down town area is populated by far too many drinking establishments, that are patronized by people with no self control, and who’s servers and owners are NEVER questioned or mentioned in news articles pertaining to DUI/DWI or drunken brawls in the area.
    No woman should be raped under any circumstance and I fear that someone slipped something into these girls drinks. But, we also need to look at the servers – bartenders waiters or waitresses and ask the question – why weren’t they shut off?
    Alcohol is very bad stuff when abused, and a quick trip to the bathroom allows for anyone to spike a drink. We encourage far too much of this down town and benign negligence to this is just as bad as the person doing the spiking of the drinks.

Vog

• dan smith says:

only place female belongs is in the home. god didnt want females outside home. it started with giving them the right to votoe.

• Poochie says:

“They’re going to be looking out for women who are overly intoxicated; trying to monitor them to make sure they get to their car safely,” Rawley said.

Lord Jesus! The overly intoxicated tart should be monitored, but “so they can get to their car safely” and behind the wheel!

God help us all!

Is this why we have so many drunks driving away from the downtown bars?

• Guest 1492 says:

- dean bailey
    – dean smith
    – dan smith
    – ricky smith
    – etc

All are the same attention-starved little boy. The more angry responses he gets, the more gratification he feels. I guess the poor little fella just doesn’t have a real life.

Back in your cave little guy. Also, do you often votoe?

• truthseeker says:

WPD Spokesman Rawley is a fine example of incompetence. WPD going to monitor drunk women going to cars. Yea, ok, why so they can meet them off duty. That statement was as dumb as the women who go out unattended, get drunk and become the attention of bar rowdys.

• beth says:

Dan:

Men don’t belong behind the wheel of a car, insurance stats point out what lousy drivers you are.

When you give up your right to maim and run, women will give up their right to run around in the grass.

Signed,

Little (Not Helpless) Women of America

• VvNocvV says:

God has NO part in what females should do. They are Equal to Man and It is sad what happen downtown but i bet from reading the article it was a drug by the same person in the same bar doing it. Something like this happen in Asheville, NC Last winter.

I think he also posts as tweety

• dan smith says:

women are not equal to men. check out the bible. god said that

• Guest-o-matic says:

…whether they left flowers or not.
    You tell me! You seem to know what this is all about. I’ve never found myself in such a situation or even put myself in the position to be in a situation like that. Tell us more!

Your comments are exhausting. Just be quite now, little guy.

• GuestBystander says:

How do YOU know that’s where it went? Were YOU there? Maybe that’s just your preferred method? My guess is, the chick got wasted and went wherever for consentual sexual activities. When she woke up, perhaps she was a little ashamed of herself or feared she might have been impregnated and reported she had been violated. I suppose the cops had to make a report, but most likely the office copy will go into the shredder. When people put themselves in positions like this, what do they expect? They just got what they went for, they just don’t remember it.

• beth says:

Or sadly, possibly a woman who is so full of it, I don’t know where to start.

“They just got what they went for, they just don’t remember it.”

Let me guess, in your book, there are no TRUE RAPE VICTIMS just actors in the action.

Never mind that these pigs will attack anything that moves. You don’t have to be downtown to be raped. Stranger rapes like these are relatively rare. In most cases the rapist is known to the victim.

In a world, where even babies and a little old ladies are fair game to these demons, the audacity of “she was asking for it” still being in play is just disturbing. Then again, I wouldn’t expect nothing less of RAPE SYMPATHIZERS.

• Guest-o-matic says:

With all the drunks we have weaving around downtown and the advent of bath salts and other over the counter designer drugs, people do a lot of stupid, silly things. It’s on the news everyday! We’ve had a couple of recent cases of people deciding to get naked and walk around in public, even on the beach. They wake up and don’t know where they are, where they’ve been or what they’ve done.

My question still stands…

• omgstupid says:

If you woke up in a strange place with no pants and felt like something had been forced through your anus and into your rectum, what would you think had happened? Same question back at ‘ya, are you really this ignorant or are you intentionally trying to be obtuse?

• OtherGuest says:

Well, the article doesn’t say much, but you guys are sure making up a good story!

Do you intentionally try to embarrass yourself in these posts. Just like your post about rankings in the CBPD. You really have no clue on so many topics.

lonetraveler

Surely, you are not as dumb as you present yourself. Pretty ease to know that you have been sexually assaulted.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…how do they know they were sexually assaulted?

Hellooooo??????? Are you really this ignorant?

• dean smith says:

well thats what they deserve what they got, they shouldnt go d. town. anyway who cares they just a woman , they should have stayed home.

• Are You Kidding Me? says:

It doesn’t matter whether or not they were out partying…no one deserves to be sexually assaulted! Your comment is completely offensive, disrespectful, and unwarranted!

And for your next act, please disappear for good.

• Ivey says:

WTF?! are YOU the attacker???? seriously?! they got what they deserved ?? for going downtown? Wilmington, NC? I lived AND worked AND frequented downtown for 8 1/2 years of my life . It is a fun, lively place to be- lots to do , with a small town feeling, a feeling that you SHOULD be safe. I wish I could hear you say that they got what they deserve in person, or maybe someone would think the same about you. Maybe you think you are being funny. whatever the case, karma is a Bitch AND a woman… asshole.

A man does not have the right to force sex on a female, regardless of where she was or what she was wearing. You are a pig.

• Guest 1492 says:

by “dean bailey”. This time it was so offensive even he decided to use a different last name.

• B.J. says:

Ridiculous…beefing up patrol? What does that mean are they going to sit in bars and monitor females? And then escort them to a car so they can drive drunk home? Hand holding for drunks girls downtown that will help….

• Sareyna says:

Obviously they were drugged without their awareness….I wonder if they all visited the same bar or if all were at different bars? And did they all go out alone??? If not where are their friends that went with them. You have to be very careful when drinking in a public place. If someone slips something in your drink, you can become heavily intoxicated after only one or two drinks…Everybody, both male and female should go at the very least in pairs…Downtown is full of people drinking. When drinking, nobody acts like they would otherwise…Mix 1000’s up together and it can become a very dangerous atmosphere….Ladies, don’t ever accept a drink from someone whom you do not know and don’t ever sit your drink down….

• Jg says:

Looking for women who are overly intoxicated and making sure they get to their car safely. Hmmmmm.

WPD Spokeswoman said: “They’re going to be looking out for women who are overly intoxicated; trying to monitor them to make sure they get to their car safely,” Yeah, make sure they get to their cars safely so they can drive home or sleep it off, which one??

I live at the corner of Front and Market, and I see the last call parade every weekend. Mostly small groups of really drunk, very loud guys, and then small groups of club rat girls, usually one really over-cooked drunk chick in the middle. I often speculate to myself as to how those folks might wake up in the morning. But the three mentioned in this story tell a more troubling story. And this has happened to me, albeit in much different circumstance. Not a late night of heavy drinking, but undoubtedly something slipped in our drinks one afternoon. Both my girlfriend and I had absolutely no memory of anything that happened 30 minutes after that second drink. Fortunately, we had made it home safely a few blocks away. Comparing notes in the morning there was no doubt we had been drugged.

I would strongly suspect that is what happened in the case of these three women. Hopefully the investigators in these cases had toxicology tests run on the victims and did not simply dismiss them as just another drunk girl who “got what they deserved”. I’ll bet a box of fresh donuts the police need to start looking for a seriously dangerous serial rapist lurking in the late night crowd.

And I’d start with the type that thinks, or expresses the opinion that they “deserved it”.

• ricky smith says:

read the bible why do u think god put woman on this earth, to sevice man

You know, the Star News might do well to call WPD and give them your email so they can track you down and have a talk with you. You sound like a very good suspect to me.

He put women on the earth to be a helpmeet, not a slave.

• RCC says:

If anyone would like to speak with an advocate from the Rape Crisis Center either because they have experienced something similar or because this article triggers some memories and/or emotions, please call 910-392-7460. To check out more information on the RCC go to http://www.supportrcc.org.