US DOJ to sue North Carolina over voter law

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 09/30/2013 - 8:12pm
Updated: Tue, 10/01/2013 - 11:51am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — US Attorney General Eric Holder says the Justice Department will sue the state for alleged racial discrimination in a new, stricter voting law.

Holder says by restricting access and ease of voter participation, this new law would shrink, rather then expand access to voting.

The lawsuit against North Carolina is the latest effort by the Obama Administration to counter a Supreme Court decision that struck down the most powerful part of the Voting Rights Act. That action freed states, many of them in the south, from strict federal oversight of their elections.

“In the 2008 and the 2012 general elections African American voters dramatically increased their participation across the state,” Holder said during a news conference in Washington, DC.

Holder slammed North Carolina’s stricter new voting law.

“It is especially troubling that the law would significantly narrow the early voting window that would enable hundreds of thousands of North Carolinians, including a disproportionately large number of minority voters during the last election cycle,” Holder said.

Republicans have said the legislation is meant to prevent voter fraud, which they claim is both rampant and undetected.

“In fact I believe the federal government action is an overreach and without merit,” Gov. Pat McCrory said today in Raleigh.

But non-partisan voting rights groups, Democrats and Libertarians suggest the true goal may be to suppress voter turnout, especially among blacks, the young the elderly and the poor.

“I think it is obviously influenced by national politics, since the Justice Department ignores similar laws in other blue states throughout the United States of America,” McCrory said.

In his statement today, the governor said the state has retained outside legal counsel to defend our right to have common-sense laws in North Carolina. He says taxpayers will have to pay for both the state and federal government’s legal costs.

• haggler01 says:

How unfortunate that the article didn’t bother to mention what this “tough” new law actually is: North Carolina residents are now required to show a photo ID at polling places.

That’s tough? A photo ID? Are you serious?

What could possibly be more fundamental than that? You can’t drive car without a photo ID. You can’t get on an airplane without a photo ID. How could you POSSIBLY expect to cast a vote without a photo ID? We’re just supposed to believe you are who you say you are?

It’s common sense, not racism. Give it a rest, please.

• averageworkingclass says:

OK. thinking back on some of the times that I have HAD to shown my ID, is proving who you are to vote the problem. Many probaly have outstanding warrants or owe child support and are scared the “man” will arrest them.
    On the other hand, many of them don’t mind showing ID to get their handicap passes which they don’t need. useless airwasters.

If they don’t like the way we do it here in NC, why don’t they just kick us out of their “union”!!! like the rabbit said, please don’t throw me in the briar patch, we’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

I find this to be a fascinating issue. I’m generally a fairly moderate democrat, but this is one issue I tend to agree with the right on. I see no reason why someone shouldn’t have to show id to vote.

On the other hand, if someone really wants to commit voter fraud, I honestly doubt this will stop them. Are we really going to train poll workers to tell the difference between a fake id and a real one. Considering how easy it is to get a fake id online these days, I don’t really see why everyone thinks this is the solution. Furthermore, the leaders of this state 100% knew this would be challenged and therefore are just wasting taxpayer dollars on this issue. That’s honestly more my issue than the issue of whether the law is just or now. The only way to 100% ensure a lack of voter fraud would maybe be a finger printer scan/blood sample at the polling place. Do we really want to go down that road? I think not.

• adminisracist says:

I don’t see how this is an issue of race, felons can’t vote anyway.

• tke1 says:

I keep hearing all the whining and crying about the voter ID law keeping people from voting but I have never heard anyone rationally explain how that is going to happen. The ID’s are going to be made available to anyone who wants to vote. As it has been pointed out so many other times, photo ID is required for hundreds of other normal, everyday activities of life.
    Just because someone, especially a politician or activist, says it, that doesn’t mean it is true.
    Someone please explain it to me. (and none of this “if you don’t know, I can’t tell you” BS)

• Carol Kramer says:

Here you are folks, the North Carolina State Board of Elections VOTER LOOKUP…you can look up anyone in the State and find their address, their party affiliation, race, gender, voting history (dates)
    Have at it. Seems to me that with this info, you could pretend to be just about anyone…just sayin…I don’t think that this should be online.

Eric Holder is a disgrace to his office. The founding fathers are rolling over in their graves at the things he is done and this is no exception. Voting requirements are a state issue and the federal government has no right to butt in.

No one is being denied the right to vote. The DMV will make ID’s available free of charge starting in January. Any legal citizen can go and get an ID.

Voting is the most powerful thing that we can do as citizens. We should be willing to prove that we in fact have that power.

• provoterID says:

Obama is serving his second, thus final term. This is about all elections moving forward. It has nothing to do with Obama.

• Monkey Junction says:

The state Board of Elections states there are 700,000 eligible voters in NC that do not have a valid ID. Some of these are elderly citizens whose IDs have expired and they did not renew them. Others are people who don’t or can’t drive and have no need for a drivers license.

How will these citizens get to the DMV, who will pay for the IDs and how long will they have to get an ID?

Most of voter fraud takes place through absentee ballots. How does the GA propose to eliminate fraud in this manner? If they were serious about elimination voter fraud, they would put in safeguards to prove absentee ballots were legitimate.

Starting January 1, 2014, the Division of Motor Vehicles will begin issuing no fee ID Cards to be used for voting.

The repubs are forcing our country to shut down and not pay our service members because they dont want Obama care to pass, they hold our own country hostage and they dont want anyone who isnt rich to vote so bad that our own justice dept is sueing the state, the repubs are so lost they dont even have a map anymore, sad

• Guest DUB says:

Allen Cobb falsely imprisoning the “WILMINGTON “10” for 300 year sentences is why North Carolina gets all the Federal Government negative racism attention. Collect all his heirs assets and give it to the victims, lets be done with the Corrupt Cobb history here.

If I remember correctly it was a Jury that found them guilty.

So many say you need an ID to prevent people from voting over and over.
    Can anyone please tell me how many times we had double votes in North Carolina. Im mean this is the main reason why people are pushing for the ID Law, or atleast thats what i see most people rant about. Why is this the first time in history ( under Obama ) that everyone has screamed to have this new law pass ) did people not care about this under Bush, Clinton ect. Or do they only care now?

• Guest 13131 says:

In 2005, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that up to 3 percent of the 30,000 individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls over a two-year period in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens.

While that may not seem like many, just 3 percent of registered voters would have been more than enough to provide the winning presiden­tial vote margin in Florida in 2000.

Every vote cast by a non-citizen, whether an illegal alien or a resident alien legally in the country, dilutes or cancels the vote of a citizen and thus disenfranchises him or her.

Non-citizen voting is likely growing at the same rate as the alien population in the United States; but because of deficiencies in state law and the failure of federal agencies to comply with federal law, there are almost no procedures in place that allow election officials to detect, deter, and prevent non-citizens from registering and voting. Instead, officials are largely dependent on an “honor sys­tem” that expects aliens to follow the law. There are numerous cases showing the failure of this honor system.

• Vog46 says:

“Nope, not wrong at all. There are still tons of check cashing “clinics” in town catering to those that don’t have bank accounts. You will show an ID or they will not cash your check, period. Debit accounts require that you present an ID to create one. You have no basis here either.”
    First thats ludicrous – I have cashed checks at Harris Teeter using my VIC card for years no ID needed. My bank is the same – present a nonpicture bank card and voila checks cashed. I agree that check cashing emporiums might need to do this to protect themselves
    But on the whole I also agree that a picture ID at registration is a good idea so long as after that its no longer needed to cast he vote. I agree with that thought process.

“A “registry” for gun owners? That isn’t legal.”
    You are right it’s not – so explain why the NRA and ACLU have joined forces to sue the government over the NSC spy scandal. Yeah Gom that’s right. The NRA knows the government has access and probably has the registry already compld. Picture IDs for voting will just add to the Orwellian government intrusion into our lives. I find your trust of the government for gun records privacy somewhat incredulous given what the government has admitted to already. They will know who has guns, where they live, their phone records, and now a picture to add to the “puzzle”. Your wanton disregard for the 4th amendment is only exceeded by your love for the 2nd. I do not trust government at any level Gom – nor should you.
    Voter Id itself is not the issue for me. Voting is to be encouraged not discouraged – shortened voting times, restrictions on college student voting and forcing elderly to gt IDs all do nothing but suppress voting.
    I would NOT be surprised to see NC’s law struck down.
    Vog

• Guest-o-matic says:

I said that Obama and his staff are racially devisive. Eric Holder the USAG is suing NC for trying to keep voting honest. That means among blacks, whites, hispanics and ILLEGAL aliens.

If you REALLY believe the ID law is intended to keep any “minority” OR “young people away from the polls” in this day and age, you need to lay off the crack for a few days! Let me explain this very simply to you in basic terms. I turned 18 in 1976. I’ve had a valid drivers license since 1974. In the case your math skills match your social skills, that’s the better part of 40 years! I have NEVER not voted and I have NEVER, EVER been turned away from any opportunity or access because I didn’t have an ID. It’s a very basic and necessary component of being a legal citizen, doesn’t matter what color you are.

You can’t get a flu shot, rent a car, get a airline ticket, buy alcohol, cigarettes, rent a hotel room OR cash a check without a valid ID. What is it that makes any of you so special that you don’t need the very same to cast a LEGAL vote?

• Vog46 says:

“What is it that makes any of you so special that you don’t need the very same to cast a LEGAL vote?”

because they are NOT required to register to vote.
    Here in NH County you need to prove the following:

Must be a U.S. citizen.
    Must be a resident of North Carolina.
    Prior to voting, must be a resident of the county for at least 30 days prior to election day.
    Must be at least 18 years old or will be 18 by the date of the next general election.
    Must rescind any previous registration in another county or state.
    If previously convicted of a felony, the person’s citizenship rights must be restored (must not be serving an active sentence, including probation or parole). Know your voting rights – Guide for Ex-Felons.

Look I don’t have a problem with producing a picture ID but I can tell you that your argument about cashing checks is wrong – most checks go into a debit accounts directly now anyway – including payroll checks. You could (pre 9/11) get on a plane without producing a picture ID (they did accept other forms of ID then).
    The question is not the picture ID.
    The question on the new law is does it restrict in ANY way voting?
    By shortening early voting, by restricting college students from voting in their school town and yes by requiring folks to get an ID you do in fact “restrict” voting. In the end, a very conservative and very “constitutionally founded” U.S. Supreme court may rule that NC’s law is illegal and we will have to deal with it. Thats why Holder is filing suit her and in other states – yes it is a state issue but he’s doing EXACTLY what our constitution calls for (in this case).
    Remember this court’s most conservative member Antonin Scalia believes the 2nd amendment has restrictions – he has stated this publicly!!
    I’m not so sure we want this to go before the Roberts court…..
    But again – the main problem with voting fraud is not the in person vote – it is absentee ballots ad provisional voting. There have only been what 4 convictions for voting fraud in NC in the last decade?
    The system we have now works as many provisional votes have been dismissed in recent elections.
    And technology could make this even better !! Now Iphones come equipped with fingerprint scanners to unlock the phone.
    So is the argument now – if you use your fingerprint for your phone why not for voting? With the spy scandal we have now at NSC and picture ID for voting I bet they would have a pretty damned accurate gun ownership registry with pictures of gunowners !!
    Re-assuring – isn’t it?
    Like I said I have an ID and find THAT part of the new law the least troublesome – but if YOU want to hand over a pic of yourself to the government – KNOWING they’ve recorded your phone calls – you go right ahead.
    I find the whole thing “Orwellian”

Vog

• Guest-o-matic says:

…on the actual number of real and actual fraud cases that exist. No more than drug dealer convictions indicate what the drug problem consists of. One gets caught, 100 get away. One gets caught, 1000 get away and so on. It isn’t relative by any sense of the imagination no matter how you apply statistics.

9/11 was over 12 years ago and things have changed. Today, you do not and will not board an aircraft without an ID…ever! What’s your point there?

A “registry” for gun owners? That isn’t legal. However, as a CCP holder, my permit is attached to my drivers license. They took my picture and full handprints prior to issuance. I submitted such and trust that the government will keep that information confidential.

They’ve turned this simple requirement into a racial issue aimed at black people. That simply isn’t the case. Just get the ID if you don’t have one, go to the polls and vote like everyone else that is a legal citizen. We have an overwhelmingly huge population of illegal aliens in this state and in this country. Our government seems to have no interest in attempting to curb that influx in the slightest, but at the very least those illegals have to be restricted from ANY participation in our local, state or national election process.

You can’t even buy sudafed or get a flu shot at your corner drug store without an ID. Is this aimed at keeping black people sick? Hardly, but that will likely be the next complaint to surface.

• Torii says:

I guess you need to wake up and look at the facts, you obviously voted for this dumass.

Exactly how are minorities and young people being kept away? Are you saying neither of the people in these two groups have ID’s? The same young people that proudly show ID to enter clubs? The same minorities that show ID to get registered mail at the post office, to a police officer or the bank to cash a check?

Good try but fail.

• Vog46 says:

In person Voter fraud is virtually non existent in NC.
    And the REAL problem is absentee ballots.
    Which conveniently don’t require?
    Voter ID

Vog

• Vog46 says:

The constitution only states voting can’t be taken away due to age, color, religion etc……..
    Its time for a constitutional amendment to make it a right.
    And require all entitlement recipients to provide proof of voting in order to qualify !!!!!

As a mindless conservative I’m sure you know what that would mean……..

Vog

• Native American says:

Virtually doesn’t me it doesn’t happen. A million dollar is virtually nothing compared to 17 trillion dollars in debt too.

Let’s “fix” something that isn’t really a problem (ie voter fraud and drug testing for government assistance) to fire up our redneck voters while ignoring the real issues. And while we’re at it, let’s get them to pay for it as well while extending tax breaks to the wealthiest in the state.

• unknown says:

No such word as DUMBERER
    It goes like this:

Dumb
    Dumber
    Dumbest

Who’s smarter now

A citizen is given the right to vote by the constitution – you are correct. That right can be removed by committing a felony etc. What could be wrong with PROVING you are a citizen with a government issued ID?

• Southern Born says:

Anything you do in this country is a right given under the constitution, we are a country of laws, you have no right to drive nor the privilege unless you obey the laws, throwing out trash is a privilege but under our constitution you can be bound by laws.

I’m sick of this its a privilege to drive crap, its a privilege to be in this country. period a nation of laws to protect the citizens who work, pay bills, and those who cannot protect themselves, but who is protecting me, from voter fraud.

why can’t I keep my money and help my family members who are struggling, instead of having to give it to the government so they can hand it out to some body who is a professional manipulator of the system. I will tell you why cause I have the privilege of staying here or leaving, so I choose to stay. I think the American people should vote on whether voter ID is required….

• beach guy says:

What about proof of citizenship? or proof that you are not a convicted felon or have a dishonorable discharge? what does the constitution say about these issues which effect voting rights?

• IHateLiberals says:

The constitution does not guarantee the right to vote either, genius. Considering you are probably a mindless liberal I am not surprised that you didn’t know that.

And before anyone quotes the 26th amendment, it only mentions rights denied based on age. No right is guaranteed, anywhere in the constitution.

• Morty Sussman says:

You think the Constitution protects voter fraud? Typical leftist. Where in the Constitution does it say “Voters shall not have to prove they are US citizens?” And NO, voter ID is not a “poll tax, IQ test” or any of that. Even the poorest person can get a free govt issued ID, to show they are not an illegal border jumper trying to commit voter fraud. But of course, that would upset your leftist plans to steal the elections with millions of border jumper Democrat votes! Now call me names! Call me a racist too! You silly leftists are so predictable!

• Dishonored guest says:

You may want to reread the Constitution, if you’ve ever read it in the first place. I love it when pseudo-intellectuals show everyone how stupid they are.

You have to show an ID in order to purchase a firearm, a right guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

• Native American says:

I guess voting more than once or under someone else’s name is a right.

A picture ID is required to get a flu shot from the health department… What do people with no ID have to hide other than being illegal or staying off the grid. I don’t buy that they can’t afford one.

Why are people, especially liberals, fighting against an extra precaution against voter fraud? Could it be that the liberals are doing everything in their power to appeal to their new found voting block?

• Erlkoenig says:

Based on what New York Times editorial that you mistake as fact?

• beach guy says:

Redneck voting base? well if you do not want ineligible voters voting illegally and you do not want your hard earned tax dollars spent on dope instead of food and clothing for poor children then I guess I am a redneck and proud of it.
    And what are the real issues?
    AS for as tax breaks for the wealthy if you look into it the wealthy pay the lions share of taxes so any tax break would reflect a dollar amount higher than the rest of us would receive because they make more money than the rest of us.
    It’s pretty simple if you think about it instead of just regurgitating ideology of your apparent political affiliation. I would suggest that if the shoe were on the other foot you would be crying foul.
    As far as calling the obvious majority of the voters in the state rednecks I would concentrate my time on learning what exactly these bills are trying to accomplish they are both common sense laws put forth by common sense legislators trying to drain the swamp of 148 years of plantation politics. Which has kept itself in power by first intimidation as in Jim Crow and then scaring the poorest of the poor to vote for them through lying to them an telling them that the democratic party is their friend. I do not think any of the welfare checks have gotten any smaller so who is the one hurting who?

• renoGuest says:

Who cares ,the way washington is going the union will be gone soon enough.So (what difference does it make)

• beach guy says:

You have to have a valid ID to buy handgun ammunition so I guess the folks they are worried about it already Have one
    LOL

Blaming the Black Man in the White House for North Carolina legislators passing a bunch Voting Restrictions aimed at keeping minorities and young people away from the polls? That’s a bit of a stretch.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…than has been orchestrated by Obama. He and his staff are actually succeeding in setting society back about 50 years! Incredible!

• Morty Sussman says:

You need ID to get on a plane, drive a car or rent a movie, but Obama and his merry minions are incensed that you need an ID to vote! Because that would interrupt their plan to have millions of border jumpers pulling the lever for the Democrats! And of course they use the “racist” card to quash any objections to their devious pursuits! Such transparency, we are so lucky to have Obama and his minions taking us Forward!

• Honored Guest says:

Getting on a plane, driving a car, and renting a movie are not rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. But after reading the rest of your comment, I’m not really surprised that you don’t know this.

• Monkey Junction says:

There are people in our fine state that do not fly, do not drive and thus do not rent movies. There are plenty of people who do not have a valid ID. Voting is a right, not a privilege like driving a car.

How can the Obama administration think stricter voter ID is racial discrimination ? They are suing NC over our new law to look at ID before allowing voting?
    Are they concerned that white people can’t or won’t have valid ID’s??
    He’ll finally be out of office next election so what is he concerned over?

• robo says:

It is required to present I.D. in countless activities of our lives and voter I.D. is required in every other country in the world that allows voting for government positions. Holder does not want this requirement in our country because he fears it would diminish Democratic turnout at the polls, even though he knows voter fraud would be decreased. He is completely politically biased, and does not represent the office of Attorney General with dignity.

• craig says:

You have to show an ID to visit inmates in prison/jail. What is the big deal? Over 39 years ago I though I had to have my ID to vote. I reached for it and they kind of laughed at me. It just makes sense.

• Guest 546390 says:

Isn’t it racist to conclude that voter ID requirements will hurt minorities. Doesn’t this imply that minorities are too stupid to obtain a voter ID within the next 3 yrs. This always seems to be the underlying theme with Democrats, that minorities are stupid, incapable, and incompetent, and they need govt help for everything. When will minorities start to be offended? Add in the Democratic party’s history on slavery, Jim Crow, Civil Rights, abortion (originally designed to control minority population), and anti-school choice, and it’s hard to understand why anyone who believes in tolerance, equality, open mindedness, and love for their fellow man would ever be a Democrat.

• Vog46 says:

no one wasn’t expecting this?

Vog