Dash cam video released in K9 biting incident

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 12/10/2013 - 3:09am
Updated: Tue, 12/10/2013 - 1:36pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Dash cam video released Monday provides a closer look at what happened when a Wilmington police K-9 officer unleashed his police dog on a suspect who police say drove through a DWI checkpoint and led them on a chase Nov. 1.

In the video, you can see a cruiser ram into Johnnie Williams car to stop him. Then, as Williams puts his hands up, Stafford Brister lifts his dog into Williams’ car. The K-9 attacks. After that, officers surround Williams’ car and one breaks his window to pull Williams out.

During an interview he did with WWAY Nov. 7, Williams swore he didn’t deserve that treatment.

“I didn’t do anything forceful against the officers. I didn’t not do anything. I stopped and I gave up my rights and I tried holding up my hands,” Williams said.

That’s why New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David said he wanted a grand jury to look at the case.

“What distinguishes officer Brister’s case from the other three, is in the first three, I believed it was clear as a matter of law the reasonable use of force was not something that was subject to review by this community. This one I regarded as close enough where the community should be involved,” David said.

After watching the dash cam video, a New Hanover County grand jury cleared Brister whose been on paid administrative leave since the incident. Then, jurors indicted Williams on several charges including assault with a deadly weapon on a government official. Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous said there will be an internal investigation into the incident.

• CoastalJade says:

Amazing how so many think the officers were wrong, when they were right in what they did.
    I don’t care how many times you say what if this were my son or daughter, my stance won’t change. You can also say he made a mistake and came to his senses… but that is a lie. We can see in the video that the only reason he stopped was because he had to be rammed to stop him. If he was drinking, he is a pos. Drinking and driving is sick and any who have excuses for DUI is just as sick as the drinker/driver.
    You want to drink, keep it at home. The rest of us law abiding people have our children on these roads with the animals.
    This man led police officers on a high speed chase and could have killed and hurt many. So yes, I am thinking about MY children and what if it was them. But only what if it was them I had to bury for a criminal and animal.
    Now for why that cop put that dog in that car? To make sure he stayed PUT! To not try to take off and possibly kill an officer or get away! It was put that dog in the car making sure this criminal stayed put or he could have pulled his gun and the story go another way.
    Nobody can make you bleeding hearts happy. He’s alive yes?
    This man asked for this by not obeying laws.

• Aubrey says:

The officers didn’t need the assistance of the K9 (from watching the video). I only hope nothing negative happens to the K9. He was just doing his job and what the officer commanded him to do. The officer is to blame (if anyone is); he lifted the dog up and shoved him in the car.

• lockednloaded421 says:

Always protecting the person that broke the law.Just like the other police involved shootings. An idiot shoots an officer, runs and confronts officers again. They blow him away and the cops have to be investigated? Come on man!! Do it more often and this crap will cease!!

• sick says:

I dislike people who drink and drive I do! But why didnt they taze him the dog mauling after he threw his hands up and to watch seems cruel. remind me of some nasty times in the place we call the SOUTH. NO doubt he is a criminal. What if the dog was at his neck This would be another story.

• Okie says:

Check out this WWAY story:
    The drunk is passed out in his vehicle and hits the police car.
    I suppose in your perfect world, we would let this guy go with a warning. You can’t fix stupid.

• Millie says:

“Serve and Protect” is not the case any more. I agree with several other people. These Police are just thugs with uniforms on …..they can’t get respect any other way…..so they have to bully their way. Just because someone didn’t “listen” to them they take chase and could have caused more safety hazard. We need more peaceful solutions all over. Put out your hand in a handshake instead of a fist…..if all would try this we could diffuse and not inflame situations.

• 211 says:

Why don’t all you people with negative comments, join the WPD AND DO YOUR PART TO KEEP US SAFE. LETS SEE HOW YOU WOULD RESPOND TO A SITUATION ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT. CRIME IS OUT OF CONTROL IN THIS AREA. POLICE CATCH THEM, SOME OF THE PUBLIC RIDUCULES THEM,(POLICE) COURTS LET THEM GO, JUST TO DO IT AGAIN.

• Curious says:

Why does this video appear edited right before he throws the dog in as compared to other videos on the net ?

• battlestar says:

These cops look more like a lynch mob. One pushes a dog through an open window and some moron on the other side is beating the car with his baton, I guess it is. All the while, the suspect has his hands up, ready to be arrested and hauled away. This is pure and simple retaliation because he didn’t stop. He was wrong, but this went too far. All these “officers” should lose their state certifications.

• Arnold Greene says:

That cop who shoved his attack dog into the mans car should be fired and locked up. He should be convicted of assault using a deadly weapon and attempted murder. We don’t need crazy people like that on any police force.

• Furemfkj says:

WWAY why is your video different from the others ? Looks Doctored

• walter Hogan says:

I feel this is the same officer I had a run in with just 6 months ago. He was directing traffic that was being rerouted from 17th street in front of the hospital at 930 at night. I was returning home from FoodLion. He sent 11 cars down Yaupon drive while I waited across the street. When the intersection cleared and there were no other cars anywhere around he directed me down Medical center drive towards Carolina Beach Road. I was not giving a turn signal and wanted to continue down Yaupon drive. I pulled into the intersection and ask if I could continue in the direction he had just sent 11 cars and he lost it. Told me to move or he would arrest me for hindering and delaying a police officer. I called and talked with the desk sergeant. It is clear this man has problems with anger and has no business on the police department. His sergeant should also be looked at as he was informed and chose not to take corrective action.

• Mary E.Milham says:

Yeah for this cop!!
    How dare this man say he did not deserve that to happen to him. REALLY???
    Listen up scum….the human race does not deserve to have thugs such as yourself and your cronies running at large frightening the public and putting everyone else’s lives on the line because you have the mentality of a nat!!
    You belong in a 6×6 foot cell with no windows,and no furnishings with a slab of bread and a pail of water and nothing else. The criminals in this country are treated better than it’s working citizens. And if a lawyer deciders to defend scum such as yourself, then he or she should be tossed right in there with you to get to know you ” up close and personal”! Maybe if we treat criminals like the people they are we would live in a much more civilized world and the cops wouldn’t need to put an animals life on the line. Personally, I would have let the dog drag your ass out of the damn car!! KUDO’S for the cop!!

• Austin says:

This is why the police get and deserve no respecet. Is this the example Wilmington police want to set for the community? I guess so. Those of you that think this is OK because the suspect ran need to think about if this was your child that made a bad decision. Would he or she deserve to be attacked by an animal after they realized they made a mistake and gave up?

• Dwayne Williamson says:

Why become a law enforcement office if you want to become a Thug. We as citizen don’t pay your saleries to be threaten by the ones who protect us, mabe the police departments should do a better job of evaluating there personel. Then we won’t have to worry about the meaning of protect and serve. Don’t become what you chase every day be better.

• Liberty4Ever says:

You are such a good little prol buying into the DUI BS. Drinking and driving is NOT a CRIME until a person or property is damaged by irresponsible behavior!!!! DUI is PRECRIME. The law is assuming just because you have a drink or two you are likely going to hurt someone or something and this is INCORRECT! People like you have demonized drinking to the point that we might as well go back to Prohibition.
    MADD was WRONG. Now people can’t even enjoy a drink or two at a gathering and feel safe driving home because the THREAT is from being treated like a CRIMINAL for doing something very normal.

Drunk driving accidents and deaths HAVE NOT DECREASED as a result of this draconian BS. You cannot legislate good behavior!!!!!!

• Liberty4Ever says:

Anyone who thinks it is ok to shove a K-9 dog into a driver’s car window is right is a scary individual! K-9 should ONLY be used to subdue a fleeing subject on FOOT. This cop fed the dog into the car for one reason and one reason only – revenge – for having the audacity to try to evade a PRECRIME CHECKPOINT. This was wrong on so many levels and of course I think DUI checkpoints are VERY WRONG and I do NOT blame the guy for trying to evade it. THINK PEOPLE THINK! They are demonizing even responsible drinking. This is PROHIBITION!

• Liberty4Ever says:

Wow – just wow – you missed your chance at mob justice by not being born during the Salem witch trials. I’m just hoping and praying you get this SAME treatment by the corrupt cops in this area and then see how you feel about it.

The cops are WRONG. This guy is not scum. COME ON! THINK PEOPLE THINK! It is WRONG and by the way it is a violation of our Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable SEARCH AND SEIZURE to be FORCED TO SUBMIT TO A DUI CHECKPOINT. What is wrong with you people? Don’t you see this is a Soviet Russia style tactic? Right here in the USA????? This is not freedom – this is not liberty – THIS IS TYRANNY

• Charles Walters says:

Drinking and Driving is a crime. When you pass.08 you are commiting a crime. IDIOT!!!!!!

• tarab7170 says:

My 17 year old son was in a similar situation, fled from police for a simple misdemeanor, (dumb kid) and was attacked by a police dog, received over 80 stiches in his right calf. Terrible terrible wounds. What gives the police the right to send a dog to attack a child who had no weapon and posed no threat against the officer but fleeing. Noone will help us, I dnt know where to turn.

• D B says:

I’m sure if it were your son or daughter who was inebriated and went through a check point and then came to their senses you would feel they deserve the same mauling by a visious animal. If so you are out of your mind and I sincerely hope you don’t have any kids. You would make a terrible loser of a pareant if that’s your idea of resonable punishment.

• CoastalJade says:

Run again!
    Bet you think about it next time you decide to run from the police.
    YOU deserved that mauling. And any bleeding hearts here who say otherwise is nothing but criminals their self.
    You people who whine for this criminal are part of the problem.
    You don’t see or care what officers have to go through daily to keep you/us safe.
    That man put officers and public in danger by running. And Cujo was just making sure ‘homie’ would remember what could happen next time he decides to run.

• Okie says:

Exactly! Where does this criminal get “I didn’t do anything”? Today’s criminals are not afraid of police, guns, or tasers. But there is something special about a dog. I have a great dog in my house. 65 pounds of muscle, and he barks like a 130 pound dog. Never had a home invasion. ALL police officers should have dogs with them, and be able to use them as necessary.

You ran from blue light and siren, you hit police cars. You brought this on yourself and I’m glad you got bit. Maybe that will remind you next time you make a dumb decision.

• Rodney says:

Where did they pick the grand jury from ? The school for the blind ?

• DThomas says:

That attack reminded me what I use to see in Alabama and Mississippi in the 60, &70. Shame on the grand jury. Oh, forgot, cn us the dough

• CitizenNHC28401 says:

Now I understand why the DA’s office and Chief of Police had a news conference today. Trying to sugar coat this officer pushing a K-9 dog into the suspects car CLEARLY WHEN HE PUT HIS HANDS UP FIRST and ultimately bit and attached the suspect. This officer should be ashamed of himself and fired immediately. How a grand jury didn’t indict this officer is beyond me, but if i were that suspect, I would hire a couple of good attorneys asap and hold those accountable for this attack.

• Jerry Allen says:

Well Mr. K-9 good job. And your handler, good job on helping your four legged partner into the car to stop this loser. To the Deputy that T-Boned the crazed driver…excellent. The people of Wilmington deserve your dedication to ridding us of this scum that run rampant on our streets. Wilmington Police Staff members and you Mr. David, you may consider adding a calcium supplement to your morning vitamins. It may help you build a stronger backbone. Your job is to support these men and women, not run for liability cover or the attorney generals office for advice like you did the last time to sent an officer to the grand jury. The people of Wilmington are sick and tired of being afraid to leave their homes because of these “Thugs”.

• Guest Mechanic says:

After watching the video, I feel the officer did use excessive force. Yes, the defendant was wrong, but they had him stopped, he was no longer resisting, he had his hands up and was no longer a threat to anyone. Then, this idiot cop picks up the dog and pushes him through the window on the suspect. This is when the line was crossed and how anybody could not find fault with this is beyond me. Of course, the so-called “internal investigation” is being conducted, but we all know where that will go. We are living in a police state more and more every day when they can do absolutely anything to anybody and get by with it. This is why we need private citizens on the review boards that look into such matters. The grand jury that made this decision needs some psychological evaluation themselves. For the record, I am white and a former law enforcement officer who acted more professionally than most of those who “protect” us now, and I use the word “protect” very lightly.

• Jenn says:

I used to work with a former DEA agent who told me that a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich. The system has always been broken and it is getting worse. I have even heard people claiming that police officers are not there to “serve and protect” anymore. What is their purpose then? That said, this is a disgusting display of an angry little man who is aroused by his “power.”

Was the man a danger to the citizens before the police started chasing him? I see no mention of his specific charges. Would the police take any responsibility if someone had been harmed as multiple cars drove at high speed through a high population city? Just ugh.

• NC PIlot says:

After watching the video, this clearly looks like a case of two wrongs don’t make a right.

The guy speeding through the checkpoint and leading police on a chase endangered the public should be charged and punished to the full extent of the law. However, pushing the dog into the window appeared to be an “on-sight punishment” administered by the officer that was unnecessary.

I admire the work of Law Enforcement Officers. However, when you see things like this and the New Hanover Sheriff’s Deputy now under numerous charges from the grand jury, they have to know this does not help in them in their fight against crime and image when they are breaking the law themselves.

• guestwhat says:

The grand jury in this case is a joke! Williams should have been charged with his crimes but the officer should have been charged as well. This is Wilmington at its best.

• Liberty4Ever says:

I don’t know this man – I don’t live in NC – but REALLY NOW. This guy is such scum just for evading a DUI checkpoint??? Really? When they RUIN YOUR LIFE FOR HAVING THE TINIEST BIT OF ALCOHOL IN YOUR BLOOD? Really? You are ok with the tyranny we live under where you cannot even have a couple of drinks with friends? There is a way to drink responsibly and there is abuse of alcohol. Two different things. But today, both are lumped together such that the very act of drinking when not at home is viewed as a CRIME. Really? How did we get here? DUI is a joke and is abuse of power. They really don’t want us to hang out together at gatherings – that is the real goal. They prefer to have us all drinking alone in our little hovels. We might as well bring back Prohibition because that is what this amounts to.

And now – people are DEFENDING this rogue cop who felt it necessary to let his dog chomp on this guy’s head? This is the cop getting revenge on a guy who tried to evade the STASI CHECKPOINT. WE ARE LIVING IN SOVIET RUSSIA NOW.

• PublicAvenger says:

I’m sure if it was your son or daughter, who was a cop, when they had him stopped, that you would not have wanted her run over. This nut, nearly killed 3 cops, just a few minutes ago. Now he is surrounded, but has the ability to “fishtail” to try again to escape is in his hands. No telling what this nut might do. He has already proved, he has no problem running over another person.

Had he started spinning his wheels, and striking officers, and their vehicles, they would have had to use deadly force, and shoot him.

The K-9 officer’s quick thinking eliminated that threat. The dog got between the suspect, and the steering wheel, and convinced him to exit the vehicle, instead of trying to spin off again.

The suspect was taken into custody, with minor injuries. And the K-9 officer eliminated all threats of deadly harm to his fellow officers, and the suspect.

By the way, dozens of officers are killed each year, being struck by vehicles. It is a close second, to officers being shot.

• CoastalJade says:

That makes it even better in my eyes.
    IF this person was drunk and driving, he has ZERO sympathy from me.
    First off, I have kids. Don’t speak to me about bad parenting or whatever that butchered english version of language you use when you are sitting here condoning a man, who may have been drunk and driving and running from the cops!
    I was always told growing up that if I was going to be stupid, I better be tough. Seems this guy might learn a hard lesson by this.
    I am more for the officers and people on the roads that he put in danger than a person who possibly was a drunk and had no care for human lives.
    Good job K-9!

• Okie says:

So, you want the drunks to be left alone until they damage someone’s property. Williams did damage property. Drinking and driving is a crime. Assault with a deadly weapon is a crime. If he had just stopped and complied in the very beginning, none of this would have happened. You can’t just lead the police on a wild chase, breaking every law in the book along the way. Then once you are forcefully stopped, at the very last second, you put up your hands and expect everyone else’s actions to come to an abrupt halt. Sorry, that is not how it works. By the time the officers stopped this criminal, they had no idea what he might do next. The dog was much better than getting shot. Williams could have ended up like the woman in D.C. who thought she had every right to not stop for police, she’s dead from lead poisoning.

• Liberty4Ever says:

In what distorted world do you think this guy who was bitten ON THE HEAD BY A POLICE DOG is a criminal? Just because he didn’t want his LIFE RUINED BY A DUI CONVICTION???? Drinking is NOT A CRIME – but wait – if you drink even a little and they “catch you” you are now a criminal scumbag worthy of being attacked by a dog?? What happened to the perfectly fine definition of crime that involved damage to another person or another person’s property. DUI CONVICTIONS ARE PRE-CRIME. WHAT’S NEXT THOUGHT CRIMES?

• Okie says:

Just last night, another drunk kills his passenger and hurts several other people. You think there’s nothing wrong with getting in the driver’s seat after drinking? Think again. You are a fool. This guy will get worse than the dog treatment. He will get Leroy for a cell mate.

• Charles Walters says:

You Are An IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! Please don’t come back to NC.