Goolsby won’t seek reelection to NC Senate

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 01/10/2014 - 9:57pm
Updated: Sat, 01/11/2014 - 2:45am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Sen. Thom Goolsby (R-9th District) will not seek a third term in the North Carolina Senate.

Goolsby says he wants to spend more time with his two young daughters and on his Wilmington law practice.

Even though he won’t run again, Goolsby says the seat will stay with the GOP.

“This is a Republican seat,” Goolsby said. “I know the liberals like to say it’s somehow a toss-up, but it’s never been a toss-up for me. I won by 16 or 17 points against (James) Leutze, and I beat my last opponent by twice the Republican handicap that we already had on it, so it was 8 or 9 points then. We’ve always won this seat strongly and will continue to do so.”

Goolsby, who says he is “a citizen legislator, not a career politician,” won the Senate seat in 2010 by beating out Leutze, the former chancellor of UNCW. He won reelection in 2012 by defeating attorney Deb Butler in a highly contentious and often personal campaign.

Goolsby points to New Hanover County’s falling unemployment rate as a key accomplishment during his time in office. He also helped engineer legislation that effectively ended forced annexation in North Carolina, which had become of special importance locally after the City of Wilmington annexed much of Monkey Junction.

While Goolsby quickly became an outspoken member of the General Assembly, he also became a lightning rod for criticism.

“Thom Goolsby represents everything that is wrong with the reckless Republican agenda, from gutting public education to his cold-hearted support of ending benefits for thousands of jobless North Carolinians,” Micah Beasley, a North Carolina Democratic Party spokesman said in a news release. “Rather than face the voters in his district, Sen. Goolsby chose to retire, instead.”

A champion of sorts for many conservative issues, liberal groups often attacked him for his views on issues like abortion and the death penalty, though he also sponsored a bill making human trafficking a sex crime in North Carolina. He gained statewide attention last year when he referred to the Moral Monday protests in Raleigh as “Moron Mondays.” Those protests eventually found their way to his downtown Wilmington office.

Many names are already being tossed around for possible successors to Goolsby. Republican Rick Catlin will not be one of them. Catlin, who is currently in the middle of his first term in the NC House representing part of New Hanover County, said Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger asked him to run for the seat. Catlin says he gave it some thought, but decided to honor his commitment as the Republican’s freshman leader in the House.

• Susan1963 says:

Such ugly comments!! How many of you
    think you really could do a better job?

Mr. Goolsby, may you extra time with your family be awesome as it should be!!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!

• guest000000 says:

Yes…with him gone there will be one less MORON to protest against. He showed how little class he actually has by mocking and insulting the people who were protesting the draconian ways of our legislature since the REAL MORONS took over.

I’m glad he is going. Some of his budget cuts just did not make fiscal sense.

• Lisa's Two Cents says:

When you sit on top of a flagpole, everyone sees your bottom side.

• jack spratt says:

Gonna miss the coiner of the apt term “moron Monday.” Well said, Thom.

• Gramps1945 says:

GKirk- I believe you’re right.

Something tells me, in a few months we’ll be hearing……
    “I wanted so badly to leave the ugly world of politics, and be with my family. But the community is crying out for me, and I must go out and serve in Washington. I am not a politician. As much as I hate politics, I can’t let Wilmington, or our children’s future down. After prayerful consideration, Yada Yada Yada”………

He comes across as a Republican Conservative, to serve the people. All he serves is himself, and the lawyer lobby, self-interests, in Raleigh. The last thing we need is Goolsby, in Washington. But, something tells me, that is what he has, up his sleeve. How convenient, he makes this announcement, a few days after the job comes open.

Unfortunately, we have not seen the last of this RINO (Republican In Name Only) Lawyer Politician.

• The Unknown Truth Teller says:

In other words….. this “Citizen Legislator” is probably getting ready for another run, this time, for Congress.

Cut all this ‘Mr.Smith Goes To Washington’ stuff.

Are there really any straight-forward, non-career, politicians out there ?

• Lisa's Two Cents says:

I did not exactly hear him say he wasn’t running for Congress. There have been a lot of “Not Exactlys”, from this lawyer, over the last several years.

• 9743 says:

Glad to see you go Tommie, good riddance!! You used the same old limp and lame excuse that all politicians use: “I want to spend more time with my family”. The real reason you decided not to run again is because you knew your number was up, you were going to lose! Again, glad to see you go and good riddance and I hope we won’t be hearing from you again soon.

• John McIntosh says:

Berger and now Goolsby. Good Riddance!

• Ricky5432 says:

Does this mean he’s not going to run for Congress ? Well, not exactly. When was the last time this Career Politician Lawyer, ever gave a straight answer ?

• Samilm says:

Deb Butler and Elizabeth Redenbaugh have more integrity, class and capability than you will ever have the pleasure of knowing. Thom Goolsby is and always will be; the devil himself.

• employed says:

Goolsby did his very best to curb the unemployed beach dwellers who sit by the ocean all day while we have to go to work. That is where the budget funds get sucked up, and denied to teachers and other government workers. The long-term unemployed refuse to even do service industry work. 2 of my neighbors have spouses who work in the medical field and take home more now than when both worked full time! Go figure that math.

• hohoho says:

Lets hope he spends his time getting waxed by a vaginal wand.

• Erlkoenig says:

I am now taking home more of what I earned to begin with thanks to Senator Goolsby. Thank you Senator.

The freeloadeds chiming in here are probably a bit scared that they’ll have to get a job.

• ppetre says:

Goolsby had class and integrity= he was who he was sometimes for the better sometimes not so. Unlike Deb Butler or Elizabeth Redenbaugh who have no class , little integrity and are best not in office.
    We need real people- not phonies like landlord Deb or Beth the hypocrit.
    Vile and lies we can do without from any gender

• craig says:

3 times I called his office looking for help. 3 times I left messages. 3 times no one ever called me back. I will not miss him.

• nasgi says:

I thought Liberals were suppose to be the good guys and the conservatives were suppose to be the hate mongers. From the looks of the post here I am sure I am wrong. I have not seen this much hate and name calling since I left up north. You may not agree with him or how he voted in office, but he sure is better than Boseman which he replaced.

• Erlkoenig says:

You’ll have to loan him yours.

• GKirk28405 says:

Thank you very much, thank you very much, that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever done for me!!!!!
    Good Riddance, but unfortunately I am sure he’ll be back again.

• Wilmington Truth Teller says:

Citizen Goolsby

• Guestgr says:

Could you please list all the accomplishments of the “great” Sen Goolsby, who “did so much for our state and New Hanover County”? Seriously. We’ll wait while you gather them for us!

Thanks so much!

• Think About It says:

Why did he announce this, two days after a Congressional Seat is being opened by McIntyre? I believe Mr. Non-Career Politician, will be changing his mind, shortly.

Even though he would rather stay home. And spend more time with his family. Serving New Hanover County, and our great Nation, comes first. And so does the $150K salary, the benefits, and the fat pension check.

Don’t be surprised to see Goolsby run for Congress. I believe it’s been the plan, all along.

• fleebailey says:

Thanks Thom for stepping down.

• Tim says:

A great Senator who did so much for our state and New Hanover County. I admire him for not wanting to be a career politician. We have too many of them. Goolsby will be hard to replace. A great loss for our county.

• desert eagle says:

he does need to go back to raleigh well butner. take a room
    beside bernie (madoff) and get some ponzi scam tips lol

• guest45 says:

You’re a good man Thom, and have made a sincere effort to make NC a better place to live.

Thom Goolsby knows that all too well. Do you remember when he had a client sue a police officer and his police dog?

• guest000000 says:

Best news I’ll hear all day…Hopefully in his spare time he’ll go try out one of those internal vaginal ultrasounds he’s so fond of. And maybe get a grown up haircut.

• Alpha-Male says:

when he wrote the editorial in which he described the “Moron Monday” protesters as “mostly white, angry, aged former hippies’ who ‘appeared and screeched into microphones, talked about solidarity and chanted diatribes.” He struck a deep nerve and it was beautiful. His editorial may have reminded them that they wasted their youth protesting and are wasting their golden years doing same. It must suck to be them.

• Sophie Johnson says:

It is not popular to be a conservative today, but better we take heed today and reign in our spending else tomorrow we will all suffer especially our children and grandchildren. May God bless Tom and his family.,

• Bearclaw says:

It’s too bad his lasting legacy will be his undermining of public education and the subsequent mass exodus of teachers from the profession.

• guest7969 says:

At the budget with your OWN eyes and you would see they actually put MORE money in for education!

• big al the terp says:

Quite a sight to see him get harrassed in Carolina Beach parking lot by people calling him a moron few months back.

• Monkey Junction says:

What wonderful news. Now he can concentrate on scamming more money from his clients.

• guest007 says:

The lawsuit I suspect you are referring to was tossed out. It was most likely a political attack masquerading as something else.

In this country, any person can sue another person for any reason. It doesn’t mean that the case has any merit.

But let’s not let logic interfere with your baseless internet smears, mmmkay?

• ron says:

He even fabricates on his way out. He did nothing for New Hanover county workers. The reason the unemployment rate has dropped locally is because he and his republican cohorts in the legislature and our republican governor did not extend benefits for the long-term unemployed. We are losing manufacturing jobs in the region rapidly and they are being replaced with lower paying service sector jobs and New Hanover citizens are losing benefits and good employment. The spending power of New Hanover citizens has fallen. Thom Goolsby is one of the biggest mistakes New Hanover voters ever made. Good Riddance!!

• guest7969 says:

NO..you can mainly blame the City of Wilmington and its elected leadership