Family: Shooting victim killed by fellow gang member

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 01/21/2014 - 4:59am
Updated: Tue, 01/21/2014 - 8:57pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The family of a shooting victim says his death was the result of fighting within a gang.

Wilmington Police say Raequan Rouse, 18, was shot several times Sunday night near the corner of N. 10th and Campbell streets. His family says it was a bullet to the neck that killed him.

“When I first heard it, I didn’t know how to react,” Rouse’s brother Rakeem Brown said.

Although relatives do not know what led to his death, they say Rouse was affiliated with a gang.

“He was a Blood,” Rouse’s cousin Marquis Jackson said. “He was there all day. He did it for his team, but at the same time, his team wasn’t with him.”

They say the man who shot and killed Rouse was also a Blood.

“These boys around town are going crazy for no reason,” Jackson said. “But whoever did it, y’all should be ashamed of y’all’s self.”

“His little boy is hurting about it, and his little girl. They know exactly what’s going on,” Jackson said.

Wilmington Police have not given any information about a suspect.

A WPD spokeswoma says two people dropped Rouse off at the hospital, but got out of the vehicle they were in and took off running before police could catch up with them.

A neighbor, who did not want to go on camera, says when she heard the commotion Sunday night, she peeked through a door and saw about six people fighting in the street.

Records show Rrouse was convicted with assaulting an officer last year. He was also convicted of breaking and entering in 2012.

• Country Gal says:

How many bicycles did this 18-year-old “father” and his children get for Christmas from community organizations and churches over the years? Free school lunches? Free backpacks filled with back-to-school supplies? Free after-school tutoring?
    So many of these resources are provided by people who work FULL-TIME jobs, have their own families to support and nurture, but who give of themselves to assist those with less.
    And yet, those with less, who take all the freebies given them, still complain about their circumstances. Or, they “give back” to the community by joining a gang and harassing, robbing and murdering the very same people who helped them.
    I would like to hear the black leaders and ministers in the community address the problems that are rampant in the inner-city and projects: Kids having kids, welfare and food stamp fraud, laziness, no work ethic, drugs, etc.
    It takes a village to raise a child but the main lessons learned begin at home.

Thank you for your firsthand account of what type of person this guy TRULY was. I think I can safely say thank you to you, not only from me, but also from all who’ve posted on this story who have been chastised for being ‘negative’, ‘assuming’, ‘mean’, ‘racist’ and who have been told “You don’t know him, so shut up!” Apparently our ‘assumptions’ into his conduct, character, life and existence were right on the money.

• Chasey says:

Please don’t blame the teachers. If anyone knows a teacher personally, then you know how difficult it is to combat a poor home life. They are in the trenches trying to make a difference.

If you go back through the comments on crimes committed in the area, you will find that the people who comment here are just as tough on the white thugs as they are the black ones. After all a thug is a thug no matter what color his skin is.

• Just the truth says:

I wonder if what is going on the black community nationwide is what Dr.King fought for?

I am willing to bet he never thought Jessie Jackson would be a father to at least 3 secret children.
    I also bet he would scold and shame leaders like Sharpton, Farakhan, and the majority of the Democratic Party!
    I feel so sorry for the family of this young man that was killed. Sorry for the fact our Black mentors failed you. Sorry for the fact your father probably wasn’t around. I am sorry for the fact that I as a black man have failed kids like you.
    I promise you this. The way to true change is through actually doing not just talking!

My first true effort is to change the way I am registered to vote. The Democrats wanted to keep us enslaved, they have achieved that. The Republicans are a little better not much though. I will register unaffiliated,and vote for the person with True good values. My straight ticket is gone!!
    Our first Black President is an Embarassing event so far!!
    Let’s quit saying how wonderful these former dead criminal gang members were! That’s the first Real Change I would like to see if we can do. I bet not! :(

• Yess Cuban B says:

That’s disgusting.

• Yess Cuban B says:

Agreed on all parts. Unfortunately, breaking the cycle is incredibly hard. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that when I hear stories like this or find myself wondering why things are the way they are or how many people within the black community tend to gravitate towards ignorance. There’s many factors that play into it. A big part of it is just being young and dumb. Young people of any race or socio-economic background make the dumbest decisions/mistakes. Mainly because they’re impulsive, hormonal a-holes that think they know everything. It’s no secret that in this country it’s a lot harder for a young Black or Latino kid to recover from young and dumb mistakes as opposed to their white (or even Asian) peers. That’s just the way it is for now unfortunately. How to break the cycle though..? That’s the trillion dollar question. I like to assume that we all know the difference between right and wrong, what’s legal and illegal, ergo we have to deal with the consequences of our actions (which I do believe actually). However when you’re in that cycle and that’s all you know, you don’t really stand a chance. From my own personal experience, seeing my half-brother get kicked out of his house by his paternal grandmother because he wanted to go to college instead of selling drugs while his father and my other brother were locked up, therefore cutting off the main source of household income, was so incredibly audacious and foreign to me. I was raised completely different by our mother’s mother, so I couldn’t even imagine what it would be like to grow up in an environment like that. That was like nine or ten years ago. Both of them are in a better place now, but still struggling to get their lives in order. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist or brain surgeon (or… rocket surgeon/brain scientist?) to figure out that they’re feeling the effects of that viscous cycle due to their upbringing. Generations of that will understandably decimate a community. Sidenote: It doesn’t help either that for a couple decades or three that a national television channel that’s supposed to represent black people (ahem, BET) often times has shown black people in the most negative way possible. You expect that from MTV and VH1, or just the mainstream media in general, but not from the nation’s main representative in media of us.

• portcity says:

And alot of criminals want to get out of prison but they can’t! Decisions have consequences that have to be lived with. The public shouldn’t have to pay and feel bad for these thugs. These gangs have terrorized the public for long enough and are giving Wilmington a very bad image so why should anyone care if they kill one another? Because he’s someones kid? So was the last individual that died from someones hands in this gang.Guns are for punks and women. If your so hard and big and bad then put your hands up and prove it. Bullets cost pennies and thats all they are worth. Live to tell your story and fight another day. Leave the guns at home to protect your family while your out running the street at all hours of the night. Gangs are for the weak who handle cant handle themself on their own. REMEMBER THIS…….CONSEQUENCES and KARMA are REAL!!!!!

I have been posting on these boards for a while now and if I am not mistaken, the people on here are just as hard on the white criminals as they are the black ones. It may seem otherwise because most of these crimes are being committed by black people.

“I’m sure mist if y’all commenting wasn’t perfect a young kids either but I guess since most of y’all have rich parents and are so “PERFECT” it makes you all better then us and Raequan.” It doesn’t take “rich parents” to raise good kids. Love is more important than money.

I wish the best for you and your daughter. I would like to give you a bit of unsolicited advice–get an education. I am in my forties and my biggest regret is not getting an education. I could do so much better for my children if I had not given up on college so easily.

• Who really knows says:

Did anyone consider he wanted out of the gang and that’s why they did this? Something to think about!

• Rusty says:

Good point! That would explain the intra-gang killing (if it indeed was). Enough negativity here already. I’ll just say I hope he was conscious long enough to try to get right with God as he’s the only judgement that matters.

Next time, post in English, please. Very laughably so, it’s ironic you call other people “DUMMIES” and “ignorate”.. The little red squiggly under the word means it’s spelled incorrectly.

Nope, you don’t have to be in a gang to get shot. The majority of shootings are not random acts of violence. If one chooses to associate with people who find this to be acceptable behavior, getting shot is always an option on the table.

Quit trying to convince civilized people that him being an active gang member didn’t contribute to or wasn’t the catalyst for him being killed.

• Mudda says:

My sympathy and prayers are with the family who has lost this loved one.

Now, let’s keep it real. I have had dealings with Raequan at PHS before he was kicked out of school. He was a bully. A coward. A troublemaker. A liar. A thief. He also sold drugs on campus. He selected people that he thought was weak to bully them. Once he found out that the selected person was not a weak person, he would run from them or try to sell them drugs to keep them off his back.

Now, where is the respectable man in all of that?

Wake up Ghetto Boo’s. Being a gangsta’s ho is not respectable at all. There is no glory in living this kind of life. Stop trying to cover up the fact that RaeQuan Rouse had a rap sheet as long as my arm. Stop trying to pretend that he was a good person. Face it! He was not a good person. His family knew what he was into and did not do a thing about it.

Sure, I am sorry for their tears. There is not a parent in the world who really wants to bury their child. I am sorry for their pain and for their loss. But, when did they take the time out to talk to this young man about serving God? Who had bible study at home with this young man? Who told him that the wages of sin is death? Who let him know that he would have to stand before God one day to give an account for his sins? Where was the Godly counsel when he got another child pregnant at 13 years old? Which one of you even tried to stir him in the right direction? Is there one?

The life that he lived, speaks for him right now. Don’t get upset because somebody stepped up and told the truth. Maybe the truth will save some of our young men who are mourning RaeQuan’s death right now.

Stop saying the he is in a better place. The young man is facing judgement and eternity. He was not a child of the King. Stop lying and get real.

• Margaret says:

If the property values fall far enough maybe it will make a good Nuclear Waste dump.

• SurfCityTom says:

you’re dumb. Everything noted this was a New Hanover county issue. Why bring in Pender County?

If you want 15 minutes in the limelight, you need to do better.

Ra, you blame this on him being a product of his environment. You blame this on people not giving him guidance on the way up. What does that say about how he was raised? Are you pointing the same finger at his immediate family for failing this child, for failing to teach him about birth control, or failing to instill morals? Or, is it pointing just at the community and lack of more “programs”? Or, maybe you’re just pointing it at those posters who reference welfare? WHO exactly failed this child? You’re kind of all over the place with your thoughts.

The problem nowadays is people expect teachers or TV to raise their kids and they raise them with no morals or sense of right from wrong. There’s NO such thing as personal accountability anymore. The “victim of my circumstances” or “I’m a victim and product of society” or “I wasn’t raised any better” arguments are tired, old and played out. Crying victim gets you no where but caught inside your own prison. But, I suppose it’s much easier to cry “victim” than it is to actually take personal responsibility for one’s own damn life and choices. Everyone in the USA is afforded the same opportunities in life. No one is denied an eduction. Everyone has the ability to be a successful member of society. Some people chose not to embrace those opportunities and fail to grasp them because, hell, who doesn’t want free $h!t! I’m not responsible for their failure to take advantage of those opportunities, but, I’m sure responsible for paying their existence expenses!!!! Those of us who navigated the correct life path are sick and tired of hearing those who didn’t care to, or even try to, cry victim and racism. No. Just no! Stop it!

There’s no possible way an 18 year old with 2 kids and one on the way is getting by without assistance, unless it was through ill begotten means. Likewise, there’s about zero chance the mother(s) of these children (who most likely didn’t finish school, or get any form of higher education) make a decent enough wage to get by without assistance in some way, shape or form.

To all of you who have never been told and who need someone to tell you this – stay in school, get an education, write and speak like you have some sense, keep your legs closed or your johnson in your pants and DO SOMETHING GOOD AND PRODUCTIVE WITH YOUR LIVES.

• boldizar says:

18 and 3 kids?? WHAT? Have these people never heard of birth control? 3 more welfare sucking kids and mothers for us tax payers to support. Disgusting how they have zero morals and zero planning, just flying by the seat of their pants off our tax money. Makes me SICK !!!!!

• love bug says:

Its sad that all these people are downing lil quan first off for a fact i know his kids are well takein care of. you people that get up here and down people should be ashamed of yourself quan might have been a gang member but he also was a good father to his kids and was a very respetable young man. lil quan word cant exspress how much you will be miss but whoever did this WILL PAY.

R.I.P
    LIL QUAN

• SurfCityTom says:

he was 15 or so when he shot the silver bullet creating a daughter.

You would have been 18. Did they prosecute you for statutory rape or some such crime?

And, it was noted he had 2 children with a third on the way. How does it feel to know you were not his sole avenue for pleasure?

HE may have been tough, smart, and funny. Guess he missed out on loyalty and fidelity to the baby’s mama.

By the way, do you work? Or are you living on entitlements in Section 8 housing paid for by hard working taxpayers?

• Stonekevins@hotmail.com says:

@Mother of raequan’s dogter… how are you going to say that you and your baby daddy are stand up people, while you basically threaten people for using freedom of speech?

• 4253 says:

True ignorance is referring to an 18 year old father of multiple children as a “child” and feeling completely comfortable with that.

Please tell me, that even in your twisted world, you’re not completely comfortable with that.

• Tracie C says:

Um, love bug, “good fathers” don’t bring violence anywhere NEAR their kids.
    Oh, I know, you’re waiting for them to get old enough for the initiation right? You’ll tell them what a “respectable young man” he was right? Is that before or after you give them their “colors”?
    Poor kids – already lost – because of people who can’t see reality – like you.
    p.s. if those kids are SO important to you – turn their killer in. I bet you know quite a few people who know the shooter.

• Portcity says:

Yes it is very true that a Mother lost a son and A Child lost a father, etc. But where was the Parents when this CHILD was 14 and out “Gangbanging” and having CHILDREN. This young adult put himself in the situation to be murdered by his “Pals”. It’s a sad tragedy that ultimately comes down to how the youth are raised. Did you see the video on the news last week of the BABY that was being cussed at and degraded? This baby was laughing and playing about it because he was being giving positive attention for the negative actions. They were teaching the child that negativity is good. Therefor this child is not learning positive morals or values and that could follow him for the rest of his life no matter what else he is taught because his foundation of learning morals and goodness have been tainted. Now this goes on in many, many families across the nation and world. Children running around all hours of night with gangs,Parents running around with children in gangs, parents selling and doing drugs in front of children. There is no such thing as “Do as i say, not as i do.” because that is not how people learn. They learn from watching thier parents and families actions. This is not just a problem with one race but all. It just seems to be more prevailant in the low income and black communities, where more and more children are raising children and parents are not teaching the kids right from wrong. Now i have no idea how this family raised this child but it seems he followed the road of many before him that may not of had the positive support from his parents that would have helped him be a good person.
    After all this I was raised in a low income housing project in downtown Wilmington by a single mother.We lived off well fare and foodstamps for a while . She worked 12 hrs a day and we often had no food or money for anything nice. She raised us well and taught us that good outways the bad everytime! Its been a long time since then and now I do not worry about going without having food and clothing for my children or how i will pay my bills. My sisters and I have taking our experances and what we have been taught and made a better life for ourselves. IT CAN BE DONE or you can sit around make excuses and sell drugs. While you watch your sons being killed in the streets just think, Could you as a parent, friend, or family have done more???? Just be a good person and treat each other with kindness and respect. Is it that hard?

• Stop being so negative says:

I know the mother of one of his kids and I can tell you she’s not getting any help from you or anyone else on this page commenting such negativity. She works her butt off and thanks to her, their daughter is very well taken care of. She doesn’t go without anything. Before you post all of these comments about people you should think. Just because he lived the life he lived does not mean the women he chose to be with live the same life. You can’t choose who your heart decides to love but you do choose how you live your life. And I know FOR SURE his daughters mother is not what you are trying to make her out to be. Let these people mourn their loved one and keep your nasty comments to yourself!!!

• Mother of Raequan daughter says:

And I’m glad you feel this way. I’m the mother if Raequan two year old daughter. Well about about putting your name and number since you so bold and wanting to make racist comments . So let me guess you are perfect? And by the way , no I didn’t make a mistake By having my daughter by him. I couldn’t ask for anything better:). God took Raequan for a reason and only God knew what he was really going through. You didn’t and I wouldn’t want crap from you ignorant , uncaring, racist , miserable people . Now make one more comment about my child and slandering her or her little brother name and we will meet in COURT and I promise you we will take all that you have . Freaking scumbag. And I am speaking for me and his other baby mother .

• PublicAvenger says:

He was a great “runner”. A born “player” He was a budding “enforcer”. And he had all the potential, with family, and hood connections, to become a “shot caller”. Or even a “lieutenant”. But I guess it’s all a distant memory, now.

He crossed paths with another player, who was a little more motivated, and had the same goal.

from Mother of Raequan daughter: “And no this isn’t a racist comment but now a days we People and I’m saying blacks have to fight

Do you know why you have to fight? Because you chose to have a child at 18. Because you chose not to get a proper education. Because you chose to hang out with criminals. Now you stacked the deck against yourself and now you want pity?

I pity your child and hope she can break out of the cycle.

• CorrectNotPC says:

Many of the comments provided by readers of this news article and others clearly illustrate just how ignorant the writers of such are. Some spell and punctuate as if they have a 3rd. grade education at best(sorry about insulting all of the 3rd. graders out there). At the same time, they complain about how hard it is on them and that “we” just don’t understand their situation. They can’t find meaningful employment and business owners don’t wish to hire them. I wonder why? Are the productive members of society supposed to apologize for becoming educated, skilled, productive, and successful just so “they” will feel better about themselves? After all, we are carrying our load and theirs! Many of the individuals commenting are also quick to support the parasitic “thug” lifestyle(and those living it) while denying the obvious fact that this is a destructive culture and lifestyle that is totally devoid of any decent values or productive behavior. Is this really the example you want your children to see? If the “thug-parasites” were cut off of government-taxpayer assistance(housing, food, medical, transportation, education, daycare,…)which of course is paid for by the working/productive members of society, they would be forced to get off of their ever-expanding behinds and get to work like the rest of us. They would not have as much “free” time, or the energy to raise so much Hell! The only way this cycle of perpetual ignorance will ever stop is for politicians to have the courage to cut out much of the never-ending-free-ride system they have created to “buy” the vote of the newly-enslaved, and…for the parasites on this system who blindly vote for them to actually begin to face the truth which is…that they are primarily the person responsible for the position they have in life. Enough is enough! Get some real marketable skills, some education, some moral values, and a job… put it to use and get off my back. Do this and you will earn some respect.

• Tracie C says:

Let me “responed” as someone who WAS a mother at the age of seventeen: I “responed” by taking care of my kids (FOUR sons), worked and damned sure didn’t get involved with the Bloods/Crypts or whatever the morons of modern day “gangsta life” want to call themselves.
    If this was my child: you can bet your ASS he wouldn’t have been allowed to join a sorry gang. (My oldest tried years ago when he was about 13. I ran the gang and their idiotic leader out of town BY MYSELF – but – my kids are important to me).
    If this was my child: I would turn their killer in in a heartbeat – (see: I KNOW who my kids friends are, where they’re going when they go out and I take the time to CARE) – SOMEBODY knows who did this but are too scared to talk (you know the old “snitch” b/s).
    If this was my child I’d be burying him while wondering where I failed but knowing he’d not be in that life anymore.
    If this was my child I’d be teaching his children where he went wrong NOT signing into the news posts to say what a “great person he was” – I’m a realist, you see, and I KNOW gang life isn’t the way to go.
    You “can’t believe what people are saying about this child”???? MAYBE if the people who (supposedly) cared about him would have said some of the things people are saying TO HIM it would have SAVED HIS LIFE!
    He was a gang member, living the thug life – got him far didn’t it? Make sure someone tells his kids THAT – they need to hear it.

• ron says:

Hey jerk ….that’s why people still fight for reform. And speak what you know..you don’t know his situation…..you looking pretty stupid with ignorant comment of a deceased person…

• Ashley says:

Everyone on here judging should be ashamed of themselves. A young man lost his life. And all you can do is come on here and assume his life? I’m not from here but I could tell from the beginning this was a racist town with a lot of small minded people.

• Grand Ole Party says:

That would be because there are more white people in America moron. However by percentage there are in fact more BLACK people on welfare. Math doesn’t lie, give it a whirl sometime.

• Let's be real here says:

This mess isn’t going to stop until there is a coordinated effort between government, the judiciary, community leaders and the schools to work to stop making this “gangsta” lifestyle glamorized through music, movies, etc, and an provide a means to give the youth something to aspire to. If images in these poor communities is one of easy money through selling drugs and that dying young is something to aspire to then this is what what we are up against. There must be positive role models demonstrating a good life outside of the gang culture and there must be opportunities for young men and women to reach this. Community programs, alternatives to prison for the young, and opportunities for developing these young minds are essential to get this cycle of violence to end.

It is so easy for those outside of this culture to write this off as a “black community problem” or a “gang problem.” This is everyone’s problem. Who do you think will be taking care of this man’s children? What is being said outside of wilmington about our city? That it has a crime problem. Do you think that brings in jobs? No! So if you are against helping this needed population even though we are all human and have inalienable human rights, then maybe something a little more selfish like preserving your property values might speak to you. Whatever it takes to get our entire community together to rid this whole community problem…

• Amazed and confused says:

All I can say is WOW!!

The person from Africa that came here with nothing, and went to college.
    That definitely called a few idiots on the carpet! :)
    You have seen bad things, and my full respect is with you for what you have done.

Maybe you could motivate some parasites here to do something worthwhile?
    Probably not though because they had it worse than you. Lol
    Keep on being a positive influence for everybody. Even the ones that call you a puppet or whatever they call a Success in their race!

• Rettanya says:

First let me start by stating I am a true African American.
    I came to the US by way of Sierra Leone in 2002. I did it the right way!
    My first place to live at 14 yrs old was in the projects in Atlanta GA. And let me start by saying, your worst day in the projects in this country are a wonderful day where I come from!!

My father and brother were killed in front of us in 1999 because our uncle was trying to run for council.
    My 9yr old sister was taken from our house by 6 men in the middle of the night, and we haven’t heard from her since.
    Our neighbors were skinned alive because of whom they were seen talking to. So that’s a few things I will just begin with. I could barely speak 10 words of English when I arrived. I graduated highschool with the 4th highest GPA. Got a scholarship to GA Tech, graduated as an engineer and got out of the so called slums!

The problem you blacks have here is you haven’t seen real suffering and poverty Ever!
    You have no real clue about unfair treatment! You bark very loud, then do nothing with opportunity. I am so filled with pity for you here. No pride, no drive, no work ethic. That is what I have noticed here.
    I pray for your people to stop with excuses and start with actions. You have it made!! These gang members here would be actually Eaten by our thugs in Africa! That is the truth!

A thug was killed by another thug. Once he is caught, hopefully he will be locked away for a long time. The best news is that will mean two thugs will be off the street.

Keep up the good work.

• guest45 says:

Correction Tyrone, “I cannot beleave the things people are saying about this child. When it all boils down to it a mother lost a child, a father lost a son, a brother lost a brother,and kids lost a father.”

You can’t lose what you never had, he hasn’t been a son, a brother, or a dad since he got out of diapers, he was a thug, pure and simple, he was nothing more than a heart ache to any of his family and if the family would be truthful they would tell us that they knew he was going to die a violent and young death. Glad it didn’t spill over and take out some innocent neighbors, you people have got to quit condoning thugs activities and quit making excuses for them or you will never live a peaceful and safe life!

You really shouldn’t ever call anybody ignorant.

• betty says:

There are more white people on welfare than any other race in america it has been proven

• Tracie C says:

For those of you who missed it: the above post by Rettanya is TRUE black pride posted by someone with more class than your average gang member could ever dream of having.
    Thank you for your amazing post – even through your suffering you rose above.

• NonDropOut says:

Hey Mudda, you seem to know a lot about this young person. What did you do to try to help him before he was kicked out of school? What should be done to help these young people and at what age is it too late?

Excellent post! Truth and honesty will undoubtedly get you called a racist, though.

• Billlp says:

I bet he was getting ready to go to church

You live on welfare so you already take what i have. I would also bet the only time you go to court is when you are the defendant.

• 13Bravo says:

The age of consent in NC is 16 also the age gap is no more than 5 years. Read up on your laws.

I am sorry for your and your daughters loss. I’m not sure why people think your time of mourning is the appropriate time to spew negativity at you but please don’t let that add insult to injury. Just know that you do have people praying for you and your child. Keep your head up!! As for everyone insulting this young lady, you should be ashamed of yourselves…. Don’t you think she’s going through enough right now? Regardless of the type of person her child’s father may have been, why do you think it’s your place to degrade this young lady who you don’t even know anything about?? While you are busy pointing out everything that’s wrong in the black community why don’t you look at the bigger picture: what is wrong with the human race when all people can do is worsen the blow during what I imagine is one of the hardest times of this young ladies life? Where is the compassion and love in that…..? And for all of you boohooing about how your tax dollars pay for this and that- just stop, because a lot of y’all will be getting all of that back in a nice fat refund check in a couple of months so stop frontin! :)

• guestyI says:

Look, in a nutshell the public at large is sick of it and fed up. 18 yo wannabe thug gang member killed by another wannabe gangbanger. A rap sheet as long as my arm. Doesn’t work or pay taxes. 18 years old and has fathered 2 children with another on the way?? Now we the taxpaying public will be forced to pay for their every need until they’re grown, along with their sorry excuse for a mother.
    Yet certain people want us to have sympathy and can’t understand the negative remarks?? Get a clue I say! Your kid, baby’s daddy, bro, whatever.. is the lowest form of US citizen and we’ve enabled them for far too long. Oh yes…the pain is coming! I can feel it..myself and most I know are sick and tired of the bs.

Our government (local, state, fed) needs to make some serious hard decisions regarding these generational parasites. It’s not fair to everybody else that tries to do the right thing and pays taxes in this country.

I say take the children, put in a state run orphanage and forbid the parents from ever getting any type of public assistance ever again. Hey it’s one thing to make a bad choice and end up in a single-parent situation but these horrid cows having child after child but multiple men and living the rest of their pathetic lives on the public dole needs to stop yesterday.

Ashley, when family and friends of the deceased paint him as an active gang affiliate, the whole ‘assumption’ argument goes out the window. And, yes, people ARE judging because there is no positive connotation associated with gangs or the gang lifestyle, nor will there ever be. Fact – gang banger equals THUG; Fact – this is young, black-on-black, male violence; Fact – this isn’t a racism problem. Stop making yourself look ignorant by pulling the race card – it’s played the eff out. SYH all you damn want.

Your “mother/fatherhood at that age” point is pretty much invalid and moot because he did it not once, twice, but, a third time. He obviously responded quite well to being a young father, as he went on to knock up someone/or multiple parties two more times.

Why does anyone, anywhere,find this acceptable? Contrary to popular belief, having 3 kids by age 18 BY ANYONE is just plain tacky, trashy and is a reflection of the complete and utter failure by whomever was in charge of rearing and instilling said child with sense and morals.

You seem to some difficulty. Let me attempt to help you (like it will do any good..). Skin color has zero, absolutely NOTHING to do with one’s character or lack thereof. Repeat it with me, kids..

You can be black and not be trash; you can be trash and not be black. Got it?

Being trash and people calling one out on being trash isn’t racist. Sorry to burst your little self-inflicted oppression bubble.

I guess the cops were right for stopping him because he looked ‘suspicious’. BECAUSE HE WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, if he couldn’t get a legitimate job because of how he spoke, here’s an idea – perhaps it was time to drop the ghetto slang!!!! No one in corporate America will ever take you seriously if you can’t speak properly. See, speaking like trash proves to everyone you’re uneducated. If you can’t master English, it’s highly doubtful you have any other sort of viable skills.

Please go back to remedial English. I sure hope you’re not the person teaching your daughter how to speak and write.

• Mother of Raequan daughter says:

So for the ignorant comments . My child did not deserve to lose her father . No matter what he was doing every deserve chances . Yes I was in the streets and no he wasn’t perfect but there is something in life called CHANGE . I’m pretty sure when y’all children gets older they are not going to be perfect either . And no this isn’t a racist comment but now a days we People and I’m saying blacks have to fight . You would think after all these years people would change. Everyone needs help and someone to talk to . I am a 20 year old mother that has his daughter that is 2 years old. And she will NEVER know who her father was all because he needed help and someone to help his mom out . Which he been doing all his life, she ment the world to him and he did anything to make sure they have . Police officers suppose to be here to help but instead making racist comments and talking About all the negativity he done . He was not a heartless or uncaring person but y’all are for not understanding why we feel the way we do. Everything he did was NOT right but that’s why people need to learn how to love, help, and protect. I’m sure mist if y’all commenting wasn’t perfect a young kids either but I guess since most of y’all have rich parents and are so “PERFECT” it makes you all better then us and Raequan. And yes he had he first child at a young age but he was there for him . I’m sure that Quan wouldn’t hurt a freaking fly but that’s what y’all are thinking right because he’s a young black man . They are all type of different colors in this world that are in a gang. Black, white, Hispanic but why EVERY TIME the black die he was the worse thing in this world but when the white die the comments will be that they were ” because they didn’t have anyone” or plenty other excuses . Two children lost there father, a mother lost all she had left , two baby mothers lost there bestfriend, and grandma and grandpa lost there grandson, a father lost there twin, the aunt and uncles lost there newhew , and his siblings lost their youngest brother. Well answer these questions . Why isn’t anyone saying thing About all these young girls on the street saling there bodies? Why isn’t anyone doing much about all these older guys raping all these young girls? ( which most of the men are white) . Why isn’t no one trying to come together and make a change ? Because no matter what color of our skin we are all humans. And no matter what anyone say no ones perfect . It hurt so bad seeing these negative comments about Raequan because he was the most loving person anyone could ever meet. He just needed help. It doesn’t help when every time he went walking a cob decided to stop him just because he LOOKS suspicious . It didn’t help when he try to get a job but get turnt down because the way he talk . And it don’t help the ones out on the streets now when they see these ignorant comments y’all grown people are making about a young man that y’all didn’t know ANYTHING about . All y’all know it was the media and news are telling y’all. But I bet if any of y’all would have met Raequan D. Rouse he would have put a smile on your face by saying something so sweet. Even if he didn’t know you. So News people . How about saying something positive instead of something negative . When you have no idea about him. Say what you want but Raequan was the toughest, smartest , and funniest person I ever met in my life.

• CoastalJade says:

My God you should be embarrassed! You can’t even talk/type simple english.
    That mother that lost the 18 year old…should have raised her kid better.
    I feel bad for her, but now she has plenty of time to reflect on how bad she failed her son.
    He had 2 kids and 1 on the way. And he is 18?
    He was not supporting those kids. You and I and all know this.

This is just another day in the ghettos of Wilmington.
    None of those animals have any shame or remorse for how they are ruining their city and name.
    Bloods? Please. More like rabid animals that need to be exterminated. Birth Control mandatory and the Ghetto projects eradicated of vile filth as this.

I would not flinch or feel one bit bad if a huge atomic bomb on raid was dropped on the filthy criminal sections of Wilmington. Starting at Creekwood.

Save your sniveling for his family because the public just dgaf any more.

• CoastalJade says:

I am sure his kids were well taken care of.
    He and his family should give thanks to the working class who has to feed and house parasites like this.

A simple thank you would suffice.

You know darn good and well he was not taking care of those kids by the sweat off his brow and hard work. Us tax payers are.

• Challengetheworld says:

Ashley,

Take your race card and shove it. The bottom line here is its just another case of ignorant violence resulting in a loss of life. I hope his children go on to get an education and get our of the ghetto so we do not continue to have to pay for more tax burdens and free handouts. I hate what gangs are doing to our community. Gangs are nothing more then organized crime and it should all be illegal to be a part. Every member of EVERY violent gang is GUILTY of conspiracy to commit more crime.

• Guest-o-matic says:

….just try to read what you just wrote, I certainly can’t. So, here’s a plan for you. Stop relying on everyone else to solve your inner city child problems. Don’t have any more children than you can house, feed and educate on your own. Keep their daddy’s home to PERFORM as a parent. TEACH your children responsibility, accountability and the fact that an education will help break the cycle of poverty rather than teaching them to perpetuate it generation after generation.

Bottom line here is: Do a few things for yourselves for a change and stop relying on others to do them for you. Take charge of your own destiny and stop accepting what is given if you don’t feel that’s good enough. RAISE your children yourselves and get them an education as they have more opportunities for that than ever. This takes work! So how about snappin’ to it and shut up about asking for more and more and generating more useless excuses for yourselves!

• Tyron Graham says:

I cannot beleave the things people are saying about this child. When it all boils down to it a mother lost a child, a father lost a son, a brother lost a brother,and kids lost a father. Regardless what day or month it is its still sad.If he was raised in the surburbs always in church this still could have happened you dont have to be in a gang to get shot what if this was your child how would yall fell reading these comments rather he had a job to support his kids or not is irrelevant he`s 18 how do yall kno how yall would have responed to mother or fatherhood at that age be more considerate to others and there feelings.(YOU DUMMIES). My prayers goes out to the family im sorry for your lost i truly am.

Sorry, but respectable people do not assault people. Respectable people do not commit B&E. Respectable people do not have babies out of wedlock, especially when they cannot or will not provide for them. Respectable people do not join gangs. The Bible says that a tree is known by its fruits and Rouse’s fruits were not respectable.

• Ra says:

This was the best I seen yet. Truth n honesty. We don’t know real struggle. They don’t take advantage of opportunities given to them.

• craver says:

STOP telling us what a good dad he was. That may be so, but all of us who are not in a gang, who have never been on the dole, and who abide by the laws are TIRED! Tired of the violence, tired of the culture and tired of hearing how we don’t know the real story.

Here’s the story – you live by the sword, you die by the sword – END OF STORY.

I think most teachers are amazing.

My comment was strictly directed at his grammar and language arts skills — ONLY. I certainly wasn’t implying that his teachers should have been raising him properly/better.

My only point was that, somewhere, someone HAD TO HAVE witnessed his spoken and written English skills; yet, I’m assuming he made it through the 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades. That’s unacceptable.

My mom was a teacher for years in a middle school – 7th and 8th graders. She had a diverse spectrum of students. She had kids ranging from Senator’s kids to children from the Rt. 1 corridor projects (we lived outside of DC). My mom DID put herself in the trenches, frequently. She considered her students to be her responsibility, just as my siblings and I were. She considered them to be “HER” kids, too. She often interjected herself, on behalf of and/or for the welfare of, the children she taught. She may have pi$$ed off a few parents who felt it wasn’t ‘her place’. She never relented. To her, it WAS her place. More often than not, no one else gave a crap whether those kids succeeded or failed. Every year, she had a constant stream of former students who’d come back to thank her, even years upon years later. They always thanked her for caring as much as she did; for helping them achieve and set their sights on higher goals than they otherwise would have. A lot of them simply thanked my mom for being the only one who believed and had faith in them.

What is sad is your abhorrent brutalization of your native language. It’s hard to take what you post seriously when it screams is “Look at me!!! I’m completely uneducated and didn’t care to pay enough attention in English class!!” You, your parent(s) and teachers should be ashamed of themselves. Furthermore, “very respetable young men” aren’t in gangs. Why, oh why, is such a hard concept to grasp? Oh, PS – in the future, you may not want to post threats on social commentary sites, jus’ sayin’!

Rettanya:

Your story should serve as inspiration to the black community! I wish you could shout it from the rooftops! It would, undoubtedly, help push those who feel trapped by their surroundings to WANT to aspire to more and to pursue a better path for themselves and their families. Perhaps it would also help break the perpetual cycle. I commend you for pressing on, despite the horrible things that have occurred to you and your family. You should be so proud of yourself. Ladies and gentlemen: Rettanya IS the epitome of fortitude, perseverance, determination, pride, desire, class and hard work!

• CoastalJade says:

Good luck with that. Your lawsuit that is.
    No where did he say anything racist related.
    BUT when all else fails… pull that card.

• lonetraveler says:

Maybe you need a calculator. If he was 18 and had a 4 yr. old boy then he was not at the age of consent, which is 16 yrs. old.

• tyron says:

embrassed for what cause im speaking the truth people still cant see the big picture LIKE I SAID IGNORATE PEOPLE hows my spelling critics

• CoastalJade says:

15/16. Makes no difference.
    Still have an 18 year old female having sex with a minor.
    Knowing laws like that is not my strong point.
    My kids are in school with extra activities on the side and I am in their lives along with their father.

I stand by my statement on how sickening it is.

Thank you for the clarification.

• CoastalJade says:

I can’t get past the 18 year old female on a 15 year old male.
    And sadly, there has to be more than a 4 year age gap for prosecuting in NC or was.
    But when you do not have to worry about how you are going to pay your bills..as in housing, food, and medical…
    Having sex and making children does not frighten them.
    If I am having to pay for all this…shouldn’t the children be calling me Mommy?
    If I have to pay for their irresponsible behaviors….
    Don’t I get to be angry at where my money goes?

I could rip their post to shreds and sadly, they still will shout racism and not see that they are where the changing needs to start.

• 1492 says:

You judge that judgmental posters should feel ashamed. You judge that even though you’re not from here, you could tell from the beginning (meaning you had very little info), that this is a racist town. You judge that with the cold hard facts defining how Mr. Rouse lived his life, that those facts are just an assumption. You judge that even though you’re not from here, that people from here are small minded by using those facts to reach an obvious conclusion.

Most importantly, you judge that it’s easier to post your judgement on others than even acknowledge that young black men are failing around here in record numbers. They’re failing because their own community (not everyone, but far too many) have done far too little to prevent that.

It so much easier to lash out at others, however illogical, than to acknowledge your own failure. It’s taking the easy way out yet once again.

I would judge that that type of thinking will just continue the problem forever.

• Tim says:

The black community is in pathetic shape–and it’s their own doing. When all you want to do is live off welfare, have kids out of wedlock, not work, commit crimes, call everybody else a racist, and march in the streets celebrating a man who was disloyal to his wife and country, and who plagiarized his Ph.D. dissertation–what can you expect? What a sad bunch of people. What a blight on our community.

• Ra says:

Ur ignorant wtf do welfare have to do with the fact that somebody lost a child n a father. N how do u know that the mother/mothers of these kids get welfare. She might work. Ijs further more the ppl of this city need to be worried about a salution to this problem instead of worrying about fixing up the down town area n put in some work with out inner city youth. Create some programs to get these father less welfare recipient children off the street n show them something better than what they see everyday. He was only a product of his environment. N that finger y’all pointing looking for somebody to blame look at the other 3 fingers pointing back at u for not offering this child some guidance during his school days.

• Alicia says:

You are really sick!!!

• Alicia says:

Just like I Remembered !!! Red Necks and Racist !!! Shame on all of you !!! Let me guess you guys are good Christians right ?

• kzpony says:

A state run orphanage still will get funding from my hard working hands and taxes paid as a RESULT of my hard working hands, and I am SICK OF IT!!!! No matter what “resolutions” you come up with, I AM STILL PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE!!! And yet, our police are monopolized be them, and our government keeps taking from the working and taxed to give to them…..I AM SO SICK OF IT!!!! I raised my kids to respect life and the laws…I know now I can’t help these who could care less about eitherr!!!!

• Mudda says:

He was not my son. Whenever he saw me coming, he went the other way.

The point that I am trying to make is, the hood needs to stop romanticizing this gangsta way of life. There is nothing glorious about the way that this young man died. People are calling him an angel, and he was not and is not one now.. He was a terror to a lot of children when he was in middle school all the way up to high school until he ran into the wrong fist in the bathroom.

It is so sad that the world feels like they do not have to give an account for their sins, because everybody goes to heaven when they die. If that was the case, why did Jesus even bother to shed his blood on the cross? Why did He give His life so that we would not die like this young man died?

The Hood has made this young man into a hero because he was shot 12 times while he was a gang member. They think that it is cool. However, they do not want you to mention a thing about the life that this person lived that caused this to happen to him.

Tell the truth about this gang life! Young women stop having sex with these men just because they are gangsta’s! Stop giving them the time of day. Go to school. Go to college and break this curse!

Gangs are a curse! They are destroying our men. Being in a gang is the new form of slavery!

If he was my son, he would’ve been on his knees praying every morning and every night. He would’ve been in church with me and his father. He would be in Sunday school, and preparing to go to college. None of these gang members would be welcomed in my house.

I fought to keep my sons away from this crap. This is how I know Raequan. BTW, I am praying for his family. I hurt because they are going through this. BUT TELL THE TRUTH! This kind of life is HELL!

There was no honor with MLK. He made a mockery of the civil rights movement.

• just saying says:

What if the head of this gang is the son of a highly respected
    Citizen in the area, especially in the black community. Wonder if he will be held accountable
    For being a kingpen?

• MG says:

So, here we are on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, seeing a story about young black men making a mockery of Dr. King’s work.

It’s easy to see these young “men” are not being judged by the color of their skin, but for their lack of character.

The only gang war should be the public eradicating them from their neighborhoods with whatever means possible.

• notonwelfare says:

“Was we there?” No. Because we are decent human beings. Get your crap together, get off the streets, and then you can start earning respect!

• Casey Royale says:

I am glad that a member of the family is reading this. You need to do a better job raising your family. The rest of us are sick of having to deal with this type of violence and disgusting behavior on our streets. Three children before the age of three. My prayer is that DSS keeps a sharp eye on those babies and gets them into healthy homes before they are five because then maybe they will have a chance at a happy life. Morals are important and this young man was obviously raised with none.

As I stated, I’m sorry for your family’s loss. No, I won’t shut up. His friends and family have ALL stated he was heavily involved in gang life. If that’s incorrect, your family needs to speak to all of the television stations reporting this because those stations are, in fact, the ones who made the assumption. I simply made a statement as to where this lifestyle leads.

A person states their opinion and THEY’RE the person who is called wicked and hell filled?! Not the guy who gunned down this thug? Not the thug himself for being a thug? Yes, these children lost a father. As sad as it may be, I doubt they lost much of a DAD. He was 18, ill-equipped, and, with zero capability mentally, emotionally, economically, educationally, and apparently, socially, to be a DAD. He too busy thuggin’, building his rep and street cred to be doing anything positive for those kids’ upbringing. Like it or not, those are facts and the truth hurts.

• Gramps1945 says:

And Wilmington’s taxpayers lost a parasite.

• family1st says:

You nor the next person knows what happened…was you there???? If so please do go to the station and give a statement…..until then shut up…because like the rest you are making assumptions what you HEARD…at the end of the day it doesn’t matter the cause of death…his history a young man was taken from his family and friends…have some respect for the mourning family…….THIS IS FAMILY POSTING…THANK U

Shawty wanna be a thug. Want to be gangsta? You die like a gansta, AND, at the hands of your own clique.

• Young Mother to Young Mother says:

Well said- young mother…make a difference in this world.. you can use this time, in your life as a stepping stone to MINISTER to our youth so that we do not lose another Raequan Rouse.. I HEAR it in your VOICE… this is your oppurtunity to change someones PATH. WE/ALL races are losing our future to the streets… you are correct.. the gangs are not just black men.. it is sad, that this is what we believe, but it is because, it is all we are seeing in Wilmington.

It is true-how quick we are to judge a person by their past. I too am guilty of that and you have opened my eyes today.. and I am SORRY.. Be Blessed and I will keep you and your daugher and your daughters siblings in my prayers.

• josh says:

I’m white I hustle n all my friends black have been since I was little maybe it was.cuz how I was brought up n poor mostly black community’s n so I connected more with them but wat most white ppl don’t understand is goin thru the struggle seeing ur mama cry wondering how she goin pay the bills that shit get to u n with the bad influences of older ppl n the neighborhood at a young age they dnt no nuthin else so if that how u brought up n that all u see its hard to.change that jus lik a rich or well of family put in there kid head there whole life.that they goin to college n my mama wanted me go but wen u have real problems to worry bout things lik that get focused on less cuz the well off kids no there parents have the money for all there needs n wants. Wen u goin hungry at night n ur mama on that stuff u gotta look out for urself so u goin use the tools that ppl taught u growing up. To get personal I started hustling at 12 n help pay the bills I got a job now but not enough to live on n since I fucked around n school wat I’m do wat I’ve been doin n being taught my whole life I’m not in a gang but I got lot friends that r n understand y cuz those ur friends u grew up with or ppl u looked up to. Now with that bein said I no a lot of black kids that had it off a lot better than me that hustle or join gangs n I cnt blame em for wanting make money but if ur handed certain oppertunitys u should take advantage of that but a lot of the well of black kids have ppl in there family that do.it or r jus tryna fit on cuz they wanna b hard but most u ppl on here dnt no wat I tlkn bout u think shit so simple well live my life like I dis n see if u turn out doin anything diff. But with that been said I no a lot black ppl that grew up poor but r doin the right things n military or have good jobs so at the end of the day Yea its up to that person wat they do n the decision they make but wen u brought up n taught certain things its hard to do right n there plenty good parents n the hood that raise there kiss right but other influences get to em but wen u got them bad influences n ur mama on drugs like my was I let others influence me n lik I said it my choices but if i was.brought up wit money n a nice hood I would have diff influences n more than likely follow them. But I’m done ranting cuz yall goin think how u think but to the other white ppl on here if roles were reversed n more whites lived n the hood we would b no diff so race has nuthin do with it. BTW my mama off that stuff n raised me the best she could love u ma cadeclosed

• Marie Bias says:

I am witnessing some the most ignorant correspondence. Number 1…this correspondence is no different than The stupid reality shows on TV right now. Number 2….I find it so ironic that we are bashing people, calling people out of their names, putting down people’s races and cultures, but hide behind pseudonyms (for the ignorant, that means “fake names”). The reality is that your ignorant posts are perpetuating the problems, not making them better. Here’s a solution…Be a part of the solution, not make the problem a bigger mess. Please remember that “we black folk do and can read this crap”. Everyone is not ignorant and undereducated!

“The family says Rouse leaves behind two children. They also say he has another baby on the way.”

Yet another problem with that culture. An 18 year old with 2 kids and one on the way. I wonder if they are with the same woman or different ones? What kind of job did he have to support his kids?

• Icy tears... says:

18 years old, 2 kids and one on the way!!! A great father I’m sure… Wonder why he wasn’t at work supporting his kids??? Three more “on the dole” like millions of others…gimme gimme gimme…Dr King would be ashamed of this type trash!!!

• ill-mington says:

All you can think of is tax dollars? A teen lost his life.

• Guest Vader says:

Look at the bright side. He won’t break in to any more places and he will not father any more kids that probably are sucking the welfare system dry.

• Damn Right I Said It says:

your triflin and wicked, at the end of the day his two kids lost a father

• Nunny says:

As I read these comments from bloggers directed to the family I am absolutely disgusted. I didn’t know Quan nor do I know his siblings or mothers of his children. But I do sympathize with them in their time of grief. It does not matter at the end of the day what his troubles may have been, he was still somebody’s loved one. I have family that I don’t agree with their choices, lifestyle & beliefs. But that’s still family and I love my family unconditionally. Breaking laws, rules or just simply not living the life someone else would choose to live does not stop a person from loving their family. All I see here are people posting attacks towards his family members. Why? Because you are too cold hearted to simply understand a grieving family doesn’t want to hear you talk down about their loved one??? Regardless of what he’s done NO ONE HERE HAS THE RIGHT TO JUDGE. Furthermore crimes he may or may not have committed WERE HIS CRIMES NOT HIS FAMILIES!!! Then to further show how cold hearted you are and your ignorance, you are attacking his child’s mother & his sister about their grammar in their post, education as well as job status. Please, really do tell what exactly that has to do with them expressing feelings about negative remarks some of you made about their loved one. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Had this been your family member gunned down for whatever reason, right or wrong, you would feel the same. Smh(Shaking my head) at these comments and their authors. Some of you people need to pick up a Bible and read it from cover to cover. Jesus said those who are without sin cast the first stone. I’m surprised a rain storm of boulders hasn’t come down on you. You must be atheist and in the event that you are it’s ok. I will not stoop to your levels and attack you. But what I will do is pray for all of you.

• Tracie C says:

“they say the gunman was also a Blood”??? WHY isn’t he in custody yet then? And the only thing any family member has said is the killer “should be ashamed”? He feels no shame. Not in gang mentality. He’s a friggin hero to his gang now.
    But keep hiding information. If you care the least little bit about your “loved one” you won’t be silent. Regardless of what this kid was dumb enough to get himself into, no one had the right to take his life.

• SurfCityTom says:

leaves behind 2 children; and another was on the way.

All before the age of 19.

Before the age of 18, he had convictions for breaking and entering as well as assaulting an officer.

And he was back on the street??

Where was his probation officer?

Where’s the voice of outrage from the DA with a new pledge to stop violent crime?

Where’s the NAACP with its voice of outrage?

And his brother, with whom he does not share the same last name, does not know how to react.

And they wonder why there is a problem.

He was a Blood; and now his runs in the street.

• lelandgal says: