Rocky Point man sentenced to prison after pleading guilty to sex crimes with child

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 02/27/2014 - 2:41am
Updated: Thu, 02/27/2014 - 4:51pm

PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A 20-year-old man in Rocky Point pleaded guilty Wednesday to indecent liberties with a child. A judge sentenced Reginald Dakota Faircloth to 12 to 24 months. Faircloth is also required to register as a sex offender for 30 years when released.

Faircloth was originally charged and arrested in July 2012, for statutory rape, sex offense of a child, the Pender County Sheriff’s Office said.

Prosecutors say the female victim was 13 years old when the crime happened.

• otherguest says:

Oh, sorry I think they changed the text….I know it read the victim was 15 at the time in yesterday’s post.

• Colleen Whisnant says:

I know this person. And I cant believe he would do this to this young lady. He always had a gf that was old enough. Im not trying to stick up for what he did. But you know now a days you have to check ids just because young girls are developing much faster and and acting like young adults.

• Dale says:

I knew this dude, and don’t get me wrong, he was weird as hell, but not a rapist. this just pisses me off being the second person I know being sent to prison over arguable motivation. the first being a decent friend of mine. don’t get me wrong, the age difference is a little large, her being 15, not 13, but nothing that should result in years of prison, much less being registered as a sex offender for 30 years. just because the media has set personal age restriction views on it, doesn’t give you the right to be an uneducated bigot on the situation.

• MomOf4Boys says:

As the mother of four sons, I know exactly how old some of the girls look at 15 and younger. I have met girls that I would have sworn were at least 17 or 18 and then found out they were only 14 or 15 years old…makeup,ample cleavage, short shorts, and even tattoos can make a girl look older than she really is….Way back when I was 13, I could pass for 16 years old fairly easily and did so, on occasion.
    I’m NOT justifying the event, but I think that there is more to this story than the average person knows and it will eventually come out. IF he was actually her boyfriend, if the sex was consensual, and she was 15 (as some have suggested in other comments)and he was 18, then he should NOT have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
    And YES, I am using articles like this as a teaching tool to explain to my sons the importance of knowing exactly how old a girl is before they get too friendly!

• Haha! says:

This guy is a punk. I wonder if the ConfidenceKilla’s confidence will be hurt once he’s been taken advantage of a few times behind bars. He sure is pretty… he’ll make someone a lovely girlfriend.

• Lisa Tracy says:

The law is the law! and we all know what it states. Better start asking to see some I.D before the deed is done. and others shouldn’t be so quick to judge because its not ALWAYS the guys fault. everybodies fast to point the finger straight to the guy and start throwing blame but don’t stop to consider that there are in fact some young ladies out their who knows exactlly what they are doing and once things go south then its water works and he did this and he did that. i’m telling you….”hey girl, whats your name? CAN I SEE SOME I.D”?

• The truth says:

Actually, no she was not 13. She was 15. I knew them both. She told him she was 18 when the incident happened and the only reason why charges were filed is because she had gotten pregnant from the incident and her parents pressed charges.

• Clurr says:

This article is a joke. She wasn’t 13, she was 15. They dated a short amount of time and they even had a baby together. She told him she was 18 throughout them dating and the only reason why the charges were filed is because she fell pregnant and her parents filed. She was completely willing, and there was only a 3 year age difference with her real age.
    I know this dude personally, and he’s done some messed up stuff in life like stealing and everything, but he is NOT a rapist.
    At the time of his conviction he was turning his life around so he could be a role model for his child, he was growing up to be an adult.
    Now all of it is ruined.
    Don’t listen to this bogus story without knowing the real story. The age is false and it was, by no means, rape. The news is just twisting everything around, like usual, to make an interesting story.

• whateveryouwantit2be says:

That’s what you get for being a smartass.

• yeahrigth says:

Would you let your 13 year old daughter sleep with an 18 year old man?

• Kelly says:

I dated him. I think that this is absolutely true. He tried to force me to do things that I did not want to do and I left him after that. When I told him no, he raised his hand at me and tried to hit me.

It’s not the media that determines what is criminal and what the sentence is for various crimes. It is the state legislature that does that.

I don’t know anyone involved in this situation, but I do know that you can never truly know a person. A lot of child molestation victims were molested by people they and their families trusted. I personally know of two child molesters who fit that bill. I also know of a pastor who sexually assaulted a female parishioner and admitted it. She didn’t go to the police and the majority of his congregation chose to support him instead of his victim.

You make it sound like he is set to spend several years in prison when in fact the most he will be there is two years. If he behaves himself it will most likely be the minimum of twelve months. The convicted rapist gets two years of prison at the most. The victim gets a life sentence.

Why would he plead guilty if he didn’t do anything wrong?

• Pay attention says:

I think that people need to pay attention when reading the article…. The victim was 13 years old when this crime happen… And yeah there is something wrong with an 18 year old having sex with a 13 year old, not just legally but MORALLY…..

• Rebecca Howard says:

YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK. This guy was 18 and the girl was 13 at the time of the incident. THIRTEEN!!!!! There is NO excuse for that. NONE.

• OtherGuest says:

I agree with all the previous comments, a miscarriage of justice. Bad enough the prison time, but the stigma of thirty years registered as a sex offender! Why ruin a life? It really illustrates the continued decline and intolerance of our society. A pitiful example of the real nature of humanity. If we would begin to trust in our own innate capacity for goodness and compassion and stop relying on an eternity of bliss because Jesus blesses US, then maybe the human race could begin to become truly civilized.

• otherguest says:

Yes, I agree people should read the article, including you:

The “victim” was 15 years old at the time.

• Full throttle says:

This grown man should be ashamed of himself. I don’t feel any remorse for a man who preys on babies… I don’t remember people saying thirteens the new twenty….

• anonymous says:

You people are clueless. She was 15, not 13, and he was 18 and she was his willing girlfriend. She just decided to use that few month long gap between their age that made the difference between legal and not to her advantage when she got pregnant. If my parents have a 10 year gap in age please tell me how two and a half years makes him a criminal. Its the girl who should be jailed for wanting to dp this to him.

• appalled says:

You dont know what happened. He could have touched her against her will. Either way she was just a child and believe me you would feel differently if your daughter was this girl. Unbelievable!

• beresoff says:

I won’t blast you. I agree 100%. They were kids when this happened and he should get probation and no sex offender registration, as long as no force was involved. This is a common occurrance. It happens all the time. Just check the ages of “mothers” applying for welfare. Why are the fathers of these underage girls not tracked down and charged?

• whatever says:

I know I’ll be blasted for this…not trollin’ but I actually feel sorry for this guy. His life is ruined. Back in my days, it would have been a shotgun wedding in the worse case scenario.

• justin20562 says:

When are they going to start doing something to the girls or their parents. The young girls today start at an earlier age, then the boys get punished. It’s time for the girls and their parents to start being held accountable for their actions.

A shotgun wedding for a 13 year old girl?

• whatever says:

I looked up this meathead’s police record. Yes, he deserves everything he got and then some. Too bad they didn’t lock him up any longer, he needs to be off the street. Hopefully he’ll find a nice boyfriend where he’s going!

• dickerson says:

Was the 15 year old his girl friend? If so this is really sad, his life is ruined.

• Old classmate says:

So sad that his life is ruined and now will be registered as a sex offender because of this. She was his girlfriend, she got pregnant, and charges were pressed. They have a child together. Now he won’t be able to go to his child’s school events or spend time with the child in any children environment. It’d be different if he actually raped someone, but she was willing. I personally don’t think I could ruin someone’s life because my child willingly had sex with them, especially only 3 year difference.

So, he was arrested in July 2012, meaning he was probably 18 at the time, and the girl was 15 at the time. Now he’s strung up in front of the community like a murderer. Absurd!

• Truthseeker says:

The victim was 13 years old. He was 18. He committed a crime. He pays. The victim has to pay her whole life also.

Reread the article. The girl was 13 at the time.

• shoglo says:

If he raped her then guilty as charged and shame on him. BUT if it was his girlfriend then shame on her and her parents and shame on the judge. If it was his girlfriend then our justice system is a joke. The sad thing is our media is worse because they make things sound worse so people will read the news and they pick and choose what part out of a story they will post. Sad!!

• Brandon says:

Sorry to be so provocative, but have you taken a look at the typical 15-year-old girl lately?

She looks years older, and she often dresses in a manner that suggests sexual maturity. I, too, feel empathy for Faircloth because I think the punishment is too severe.

After all, he did not assault the young “woman.” He was 18; she was 15, but probably looked to be 18 or 19.

There’s a lot of serious moral complexity here. What was there relationship? If the truth were known, we would probably learn he was dating her.

• read says:

“Prosecutors say the female victim was 13 years old when the crime happened.”

• Noneya says:

I definitely don’t feel sorry for him..he is an idiot. He can’t stay out of jail or stop having relations with CHILDREN. In my opinion he should’ve gotten a longer sentence but whatever.