New ad pits old sheriff against current district attorney

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 04/04/2014 - 10:33pm
Updated: Sun, 04/06/2014 - 5:14pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — It’s not every day you see a democrat buy an ad supporting a republican, but that’s exactly what a former sheriff did and more.

It is a battle royale with an unlikely opponent.

District attorney Jon David faces a republican primary challenge from Ryan Smithwick. But a former sheriff has joined in the fight after buying an ad bashing David.

Just one month before elections Batten bought an ad in the Whiteville News Reporter showing comments David made in a 2011 article in “Lawyers Weekly.”

In the ad Batten said, “David boldly stated that he aligns himself, ‘very well with the wine-and-cheese set, the kind of people living in the gated communities.'”

We showed David’s opponent the ad for his thoughts.

“I think those comments, they speak for themselves as far as what types of citizens in the community you do well with, and what types that you don’t do well with,” Smithwick said.

Batten said David told a civic organization, “I thought the hardest thing I would have to do when I took this job as DA would be whether to play nine holes or 18 holes of golf.”

But David says those comments were taken out of context.

“I don’t even play golf right now at this point in my life,” David said. “I’m so busy with the work of being district attorney and being a dad of two children under four years old that my time is very much consumed. So what you have here are people who try to take things out of context for political gain.”

And this is not the first time Batten has had some unfavorable comments about David.

In 2011 Batten told “Lawyers Weekly” that David was not treating Columbus and Bladen counties fairly, but he later told us the writer only used his negative comments for the story.

Batten made it very clear who he wants as the next DA, but David says Smithwick is not qualified for the job.

“My opponent is a criminal defense attorney who’s never handled a murder case, so from an experience stand point, and experience really matters when we’re talking about district attorney, we’re just at very different places in our career,” David said.

“Well experience, I would disagree with him. I’ve got experience. As far as a murder case is concerned, I’ve tried everything short of a murder case. That means I’ve tried attempted murders, rapes, robberies, violent cases,” Smithwick said.

We tried reaching Batten for his comments, but he did not return our calls.

• Always spot a slob blob says:

Shut up slob-blob Batten. You are pitiful

Both of these brothers are corrupt and only worry about their reputation and not their ditizens!!!! I was raped a year ago and NOTHING WAS DONE!!! Thanks Ben David for letting my rapist go!!!!! He didn’t feel we had enough even though there were witnesses and one witness wasn’t even interviewed until 3 months later!!!!! My rape kit never went off because it “wasn’t needed” which is bull!!!!! It just so happens that the person who raped me was working out a deal here and the housing authority and I am sure Ben wanted to keep all the peace so we can fix up the projects!!!!

Don’t tell me you don’t want it to go to trial because I ” might not win” which I don’t see how I couldn’t. I was never even given an option to have it heard by a jury of my peers!!! I just pray something like this never happens to another defenseless victim like myself!!!!!

Screw you Ben David and your pompous brother too!!!!

• Tracie C says:

Oh? Another story of political nature where the people involved act like children? Nothing new to see here.

• Trudy Inge says:

He doesn’t know when to speak the truth. Vote David back to the DA’s office and make more crooks resign as Batten did. Give em H Jon David!

• Patty Smith says:

I have been following the election closely and I wanted to add some information I think everyone should know. Jon David is a RINO (a “Republican in name ONLY” for those who are lucky enough to be unfamiliar with political jargon). In fact, his twin brother, Ben David, the District Attorney for New Hanover county, is a Democrat. Also, there is some concern over who can be considered “in the pocket” of former state senator RC Soles. If you take a moment to visit the NC Board of Elections website and peruse the campaign donations you’ll see that Jon David seems to be quite cozily nestled to RC Sole’s bosom. In what way, you may ask? Well RC Soles right hand man, Mitchell Tyler, can be found amongst the names of contributors to the Jon David cause (follow this link for the most recent updates on campaign contributions http://app.ncsbe.gov/webapps/cf_rpt_search_org/cf_report_detail.aspx?RID=125572&TP=REC ). In just this link I’ve provided you can see that Mitchell Tyler, who is essentially a proxy for RC Soles, has made multiple donations to Jon David’s reelection campaign. These include $184 on 11/19/2013, $1000 on 11/20/2013, and $150 on 12/18/2013. My final tidbit of information is that not only did Mitchell Tyler make these donations but he was also in charge of Jon David’s Columbus County fundraiser earlier this very year. It looks like the past 4 years were just 4 more years of Rex Gore, let’s have a real change.

• Lea Marshburn says:

Unlike the corrupt regime from Rex Gore’s administration; so why try to fix? Anyways I do not see a candidate that matches the incumbent’s experience. By the looks of these posts if such can be taken into account as a survey and other posts I’ve read on the Net, Smithwick does not stand a chance. As far as campaign finance Smithwick’s shows poor results as he’s running a poorly financed campaign. David, the best choice, appears to have raised 10x what Smithwick has raised. I have read Smithwick’s claims that he has all this support and yet I see no one from the law enforcement community at any of his evens. I’ve went to 2 of his and 2 of David’s. And if he’s supported by all these attorneys some claim it isn’t evident in the BOE report Smithwick has filed. Keep in mind that’s Smithwick’s report I’m speaking of. Most of this is BS and smoke and mirrors. And whomever convinced Smithwick to run was not completely honest with him it appears. So I guess I’m endorsing Jon David for district attorney. And I have made an informed decision. Thank you.

• Wormy G says:

You got my vote. We need you for 4 more years. The corruption is weak but the vampire isn’t down. Thanks for giving the average Joe a voice and a gladiator in the courtroom something we never had under Rex Gore.
    Thank you Wway for giving us a chance to thank Jon David.

• Mr. Smith says:

To Patty Smith,
    Your “facts” like Smithwick’s “facts” prove nothing more than a District Attorney, once elected represents ALL people. This is something Rex Gore, your other hero, failed to understand. An elected District Attorney represents Blacks, Whites, Indians, Chinese, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, thugs etc. that’s a fact of life under our system. Now just ask Bill Rabon and you’ll understand this better. Obviously a lot of people from ALL parties recognize we have a District Attorney that is fair and balanced. Take notes and learn. Smithwick poor soul has barely raised anything. Says a lot to me.

Jon David agreed to a plea deal for this man who raped a woman, put her in the trunk of her car and set it on fire.

If that isn’t enough to tell you he is not fit to serve then let’s remember how he handled Leland’s police chief when there were allegations of corruption. If it had not been for the media and the public outcry, nothing would have been done. It was only when the allegations came to light and the public urged him to do so, that David called in the state to conduct an investigation. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have done so because the chief was his neighbor and buddy.

We do not need people like him in office.

• Luke45 says:

Cases in some counties take up to 7 years. I point to Robeson where a DWI took that long to try. But 4 years really does not mean much except that there is a lot of crime. Many counties have been considering a night court for years. It’s just that there is no budget for it. But the presence of crime and people in jail reflects a nation of laws. It also shows that the DA and Judges have much work to do. Am I correct in that you or someone else on here insinuates that another DA would guarantee no crime and all cases would br handled when a person is charged? That sounds really good. In reality it’s impossible. I personally feel the DA David has done a great job with the tools and staff he is given. It’s easy to cast stones but hard to debate facts. There are many players who determine how fast or slow a case flows throw the system. The DA is but one of them. I will vote for Jon David because he is honest and he represents us all. Even those crooked attorneys he’s made mad. Even democrats and republicans as well.

If Mr. David has done a great job the last four years Wormy G, wouldn’t law enforcement be pleased with his efforts and stand behind him for another term. You must admit they haven’t stepped up to openly support him this time around. Why is that?

• A Lovett says:

I have served in our nation’s military and previously served in law enforcement since 2003. I worked as a case manager at the North Carolina Department of Corrections.
    I am presently working as a private officer of the court.
    With my professional experience in mind, I write to give my endorsement for Jon David for District Attorney. I believe that since Mr. David has been elected to the prosecutor’s office people are beginning to see our county in a more favorable light. Many, who in the past were denied access to the prosecutor’s office, seem to be enjoying a basic right to equal protection previously unheard of. There is definitely an air of positive change since Jon David came to Columbus County. Prior to Jon David’s election, the system had become old and stale and there were many complaints throughout the county of victims not having equal access to justice. I have been in a position to witness this first-hand.
    I ask that you join with me in voting for Jon David for District Attorney on May 6th 2014.

• Newton says:

Jon David doesn’t care if you re-elect him! It doesn’t really matter if he keeps his Brunswick DA job or not because he has his old job waiting for him as his brother’s assistant DA across the bridge. His brother is unopposed in this election, as usual. That’s part of the club membership benefits at Cobb Corporation.

• Matthew1964 says:

So what are you saying? The district attorney does not calandar cases. Would you recommend we let all these people out. Sixty seven percent will go on to commit more crimes. I am retired law enforcement from Brunswick. The new DA worked well with us. I witnessed that myself. Are things perfect? No. Will they ever be? No. Not until God returns. There is many types of misinformation being spread. It is shameful. There are many crooks in office. It is sad. There are a few trying to get rid of an honest guy. That’s all I see happening. This can’t happen. If you believe in the rule of law. Then you are for justice. And your candidate is Jon David. May God go with him.

• Bladen business owner says:

Jon David is not available nor is he unaccessible to the public. Violent crimes are at an all-time high and the offenders need to be locked up for a longer time, instead of out on probation within a few months, committing more violent crimes.

I thank you for your service, both as a member of the military and a member of law enforcement. During the last election that Jon David was in, there was only one democrat that I voted for and that was Butch Pope. I didn’t like Jon David before he became District Attorney and I like him even less now. I cannot condone his behavior with the corruption charges in the Leland Police Department and I cannot get past his plea deals, especially the one he gave to the man who raped and murdered Valerie Burns. This man does not deserve our trust and he is not fit to serve our community.

• Same ole says:

This is either a Smithwick falsity or someone does not understand the system. Plea bargains are taken and given probably more so than cases are tried. Why is that? There could be many reasons such as evidence improperly handled, weak case, witnesses stories don’t match up etc. On the very front end of a criminal case you have the investigator. The police. If the evidence isn’t handled either through a chain of custody or just outright collected sloppily such taints a case and as we’ve all seen in OJ could effect the outcome. Sometimes witnesses and victims do not wish the embarrassment and public display of a long and tiresome trial. But get your facts straight or go back and learn the process. Plea deals involve many reasons and ALL players in a given case. They have very little to do with a DA. In fact the Pew institute did a recent study which found that as many as 80 percent of cases which were plead would have had a “not guilty” verdict if put to trial. The sole reason it stated was sloppy evidence collection by law enforcement. So this is laid at the Batten’s of the systems feet.

• Bernice M says:

Thank you Jon a David for having the courage to stand up to these guys. My husband and I will vote for you. God bless. Keep giving them heck!

• Rico Martinez says:

Let us be careful of calling someone crooks. None of these officials you speak of are currently charged nor have they ever been. Guest 757 you lose credibility when you do such and when it cannot be substantiated. Reminds one of the civil rights movement when minorities were labeled and lied upon. Also reminds one of the “witches” of Salem who were burned at stake. Thank our merciful God for innocent until proven guilty and fair trials. I have seen justice for people who did not receive it previously. I have seen Prosecutor David bring that justice to minorities such as poor Hispanics. The last prosecutor seemed numb to giving rights to poor Hispanics. There seemed to be selective prosecution. I know nothing but good and fair treatments that we did not share or enjoy in the past. These benefits came about through Jon David. I and my family will vote for him to return to office.

• Tax burdened says:

Just because a DA refuses to save courts resources and time to work out plea arrangements and chooses to stuff the calendar with matters that are gonna arrive at the same sentence whether heard by a Judge or Jury, makes no difference if it’s by phone, email, in a front courtroom, a back courtroom, or on the sidewalk. The local county pays to house all of those people until sentenced to the correctional facility, which has the resources to cover the cost by the state. IT IS A BURDEN ON THE COUNTY AND THE PEOPLE PAYING TAXES TO CARRY OUT CASES 4 YEARS.

• Roger Bird says:

him. But when I read about Batten’s endorsement and saw Batten hauling him around it was a no brainer. I changed my vote to Jon David. Batten was not honest and a real bully.

• Jason Harvey says:

Thank you WwAY for allowing us to have a voice. But there is nothing new here. A simple Google of “support Jon David against Corruption” will unequivocally prove my point. Here’s a repost from the GOP chair last election.

May 26, 2011 in News | Comments (0)
    Statement from 7th District GOP Chairman Frank Williams:
    “I am sorry that I could not attend today’s event, but am tied up working on some pressing deadlines for clients.
    “I have had the opportunity to get to know Jon David over the past couple of years. Speaking as someone who was born and raised here in southeastern North Carolina, I am proud that he is our District Attorney.
    “As a candidate, Jon David consistently stated that he would change things if he were elected and that cases would be handled in the courtroom, not the back room. As our District Attorney, he is working hard to do just that. Unfortunately, there are those who support the status quo, and they are fighting against the positive changes Jon is bringing about as our District Attorney.
    “As District Attorney, Jon David is upsetting the apple cart by taking a firm stand against a long-entrenched culture of corruption. As concerned citizens, we must stand behind him.”
    Tags: Bladen County, Brunswick County, Columbus County, Democrat Corruption, Public Safety

• James Devry says:

There rarely comes a time in history where Free men and women can take a stand and make a difference, there are so many lies and mis-truths out there that it is difficult to choose a course of action, HOWEVER WHEN A WEAK POINT IS AVAILABLE, IN THE WAVE OF TYRANNY, Then Free Men And Women should STRIKE AND TAKE A STAND AT THAT POINT!
    Vote Jon David for District Attorney.
    Help save our district.
    A vote for Jon David sends a message loud and clear that we will not give in to corruption.

• Ray Phillips says:

It seems to me that John David has raised a ton of money against Ryan’s measly BOE report. Ryan’s truly the underdog here and not with deep pockets. I’ve known The McGougan Firm for a long time and Dennis is recommending Smithwick. McGougan has been around since the 30s and got a bunch of things done. I am following them and going with Ryan. Dennis Worley is usually good at calling a good candidate and this tells me all I need to know. I enjoyed the stumping but didn’t get invited this year for some reason. Go Ryan Smithwick!!!!Go Ola Lewis. Go Mike McIntyre! Go Kenny Waddell!!Go Hillary Clinton!!Go Democrats and Republicans who are for the underdog.

• Bill Kurfees says:

It’s sad to see this former sheriff run down a good man. I do not know Ryan Smithwick. I don’t personally know Jon David. I do know Chris Batten. He has unfortunately had many problems. His health and personal life have taken a tremendous beating. His anger is reflected candy often directed towards the wrong people. It just depends on which day you see him. In school Chris had a problem telling the truth. Kids used to say “you tell a Chris” when others were caught or found untruthful. Jon David is the most experienced candidate. So that’s where I will hang my hat and cast my vote. Jon David has done everything he told the voters he’d do. That is easy to see. He’s battling a corrupt white-haired good old boy who ya know system that’s been in place for 40 years. It is easy to see. If Jon David was a crook his life would be easier. He’s honest and fair and all about doing what’s right. This is sad that some people will be manipulated and fooled by attorney corruption. The corrupt attorneys should be removed from our area-for good.

• Russel White says:

Get your facts straight above. RC Soles was a state Senator not a US Congressman. There’s much misinformation floating around these days. Smithwick and his cronies are the author of most of it. David for DA. David is fair and honest and these crooks do not want to work around such. These crooked attorneys are elitist who have previously controlled things before David came to town. Butch was not a crook but he’s one who would have looked the other way just like Rex Gore. That’s why the crooks are pushing Smithwick. To make money you gotta have a DA that will let you rig cases from the back rooms and from shady other venues. Cry babies all of them. They have lost their grip. I say vote Jon David for DA unless you want things right back like they were. And we all know the former DA who these crooked attorneys helped to put in is now a convicted criminal.

• R Rabon says:

I know I will. Keep up the battle Jon. We love you.

• Ricardo says:

I have seen DA David first hand working some crazy cases on a moments notice. He has appeared at many crime scenes and he seems to take these matters more to heart that our last DA. Some of you posting against DA David must not be talking directly with law enforcement. We’re for him as best as I can survey. Chris Batten is a disgruntled character and I wish him the best. My vote goes to Jon David.

• Mike W says:

My vote is going to the incumbent DA David. Thank you DA David for helping to prosecute the thug that hurt our child. You did a great job and you made us feel like you cared. God bless you Jon David. And thanks for looking into the Davina Buff Jones matter more closely. I think in the end Gore covered up something.

• Bill 357 says:

Jon David has worked hard to stamp out corruption. He’s clearly under attack. By who? A sore loser and a group of self-serving attorneys. Do not let them win. Do not give in to Smithwick or Butch Pope. Let’s work to keep an honest humble district attorney in office on May 6.

• Rats class says:

He’s our man.

• Sein Fein says:

Keep fighting the good fight Mr. David. You represent us poor folks. I know this no matter what they try to use. Things have been better since you got elected and I am not a wine guy. I do like cheese however and take offense at that being called rich. But wear not so stupid Mr. Batten as you would appear to be saying. This DA’s for far more people that you have shown. He must have called your hand or something. Don’t know Smithwick but don’t need to. There is no problem with our DA that was elected to replace your friend 4 years ago Mr. Batten. It was a shame that he became a criminal but I’m not surprised. Anyway Jon we love you. Just keep moving ahead and do whatever you have done the last 4 years. It’s working.

• What are we missing? says:

Someone mentioned in an earlier post to look at the campaign-finance records for these two candidates. If you look you will find no Columbus County defense attorney has given a single dollar to Smithwick, period. Again, to the contrary, the Gores and Tylers and the rest of the Democratic machine are financially backing David. Please explain how Smithwick is part of the old-school Columbus County corruption. It actually looks like John David has learned you must kiss the ring of certain Democrats to survive in Columbus County?

• Micah1964 says:

Vote Jon David for DA and do not let Ryan Smithwick or anyone else fool you. These few corrupt attorneys do not mirror the good attorneys who support Jon David. These phantom law enforcement officials and a few others Ryan Smithwick claim asked him to run for DA are those who have been fired or “let go” for various reasons and due to their disgruntled status(and being caught) now want THEIR own DA. Well they can’t have it. Rex Gore is now a convicted criminal and fellow party candidate hopeful Butch Pope lost. Jon David is the first DA candidate if not the first official elected in this crook infested corner who has the backbone to represent ALL people. Let’s call a spade a spade. Let’s vote to keep Jon David in office and continue to have a DA that represents ALL people.

We should all ask ourselves why Chris Batten really resigned. Let’s pray that the true reason will eventually come out.

• April Bob says:

My husband and I are supporting Jon David. We have seen the kind of person he is. We know his integrity. And we respect the fact that he is untouchable as far as corruption goes. It’s plain to see even if you’re blind. Everyone wants Jon accept those who want to slight the system. The wolves in sheep’s clothing are scurrying around and they have produced a candidate against our guard at the henhouse. Don’t let them win. If Jon loses we all lose.

• Riley says:

Jon David kept his promise and restructured the courthouses where lawyers do not go behind closed doors. They’re clearly mad. It is a shame some good people are being fooled by a narcistic puppet master from behind the scenes. Trace it down. Don’t be so gullible. I have nothing to say about Smithwick other than what I’m seeing is Democrats promoting him. A few RINOs are pushing him also. In either case the fact that Jon David is not connected to these attorneys says a lot. Open your eyes my friends. If Jon David was a crook, the crooks would not be trying to take him out. We had a crooked DA for 20 years. These same guys supporting and promoting Smithwick kept the crooked DA in. This DA was arrested and convicted and now has a criminal record. Think about it. If crooks do not like you and promote someone different something must be up. I feel for the raped person above. This old administration covered up much like this. I personally know a child we can call Little Abby that the former DA railroaded when it was alleged her dad had relations with her. The young girl had to go against a well connected family until Jon David came along. And the little girl’s family had NO money or connections. Because of Jon David she’s on her way to a normal recovery. So there are more stories that show Jon David is the crime fighter for ALL people. Open your eyes for God’s sake. These attorneys will destroy our justice system if you allow them to manipulate an election and create lies of a god, honest DA. VOTE JON DAVID FOR DA and do not be misled.

• R Love says:

He’s done a great job and has worked exceptionally well with law enforcement and other court officials. Unfortunately no one can make everyone happy all the time. As for ex Sheriff Batten, this doesn’t amount to much. Batten, sadly speaking, has had a hard time with nearly every 3rd person he’s come into contact with. So consider the source. The voters are often hard to be fooled in our area. Such fibs will hurt Smithwick, Batten’s candidate

• Mark Walters says:

Let’s continue sending the thugs who have corrupted and defiled Lady Justice a message. Keep Jon David on the front lines and vote him back in. Stop spreading lies you crooked politician manipulaters. Law enforcement is overwhelmingly honest and overwhelmingly in favor of keeping Jon David in office. Anyone saying the contrary should be looked at closely. There is a reason some folks do not want an honest man in the DAs office.

• Lisa says:

We need to keep Jon David. Why? He’s honest and not connected to the men that have stifled this district. Jon David works hard and he’s one of us. Who is us? Anyone who is not connected to these rich attorneys. The crooked attorneys are very few in number yet very powerful indeed. Things have not bern as profitable for the crooked attorneys since Jon David came to town. God bless you Jon David. You are truly the people’s choice. Stay the course. You have my vote!

• Wayne says:

I voted for the other candidate in the last race. Based on what I’ve seen which is change for the better , I am going for Jon David this go round. He has guts. And he is not afraid to stand up to these crooked people that gave our area a bad name. And I’m ashamed of Butch Pope. He’s really shown himself to be a poor sport especially with this Wect article his cousin put out. Mr Batten needs to be prayed for. I supported him in the past but would not do so today. I think that’s the reason he resigned. Many would have voted for anyone but him. I have a feeling if he’s against the DA there’s more to the story. I won’t speculate otherwise. Just pray for Chris. And vote with me for Jon.

• Rachel Riley says:

I have seen Jon David at work and in the courtroom. He’s for the good guys. He has my vote. A vote for him is a vote for us and not the JUST-US crowd.

• J B says:

Vote Jon David for DA. Stop crying guys he’s making you work for a change. Jon David represents everyone! He’s honest! The lawyers(liars) want someone they can control rig cases and such. Jon’s not their guy.

• Eloise Pittman says:

Hi I voted for Butch Pope last go round. I thought that since he was from our area he’d make the best DA. I later began to understand what a sore loser Butch had become. When he went to work with Dennis’ firm I realized what type of individual he was. I literally knew nothing about Butch when I cast my vote last time around. When I saw Justin Smith’s Wect story I knew I had been mistaken when I voted for Butch Pope. Justin I had known was Butch’s kin. This is textbook yellow journalism. It’s easy to see Butch Pope behind Ryan Smithwich whom also has now lost my vote. I, my wife and entire family will be voting for Jon David. These lies I read about only serve to kindle my devotion to the DA who has done so much to battle corruption in the district. From a police officer who survived Brunscor and understands we left a lot behind to clean up. Get ‘EM Jon.

• Rick Bass says:

Vote Jon David. A real-American Hero. He’s standing up to people most of us cannot. Keep him in the ring as our gladiator. Say “NO” to the crooked attorneys.

• Russ Hill says:

Send a message to the back room power brokers of justice. Let’s keep Jon David as our District Attorney on May 6. Jon is the candidate who has a proven record of representing all of us and not just a few of us. All one has to do is watch these few corrupt attorneys that have bamboozled the justice system of our district and vote opposite the candidate they are supporting. These guys and their filthy tentacles do not want a Jon David watching over them. What’s good for the people and what lines these crooked attorneys’ pockets are two different things. I’m happy with Jon David. It looks like most folks agree with me.

• Billy Ra says:

I feel Jon David is doing a really good job. He is doing much better than the former one that held that office. These lawyers who want their way should not be appeased. Butch Pope needs to move on and stop being a poor sport. Butch Lost. Justin a Smith should take note and be given a pink slip. And Justin should not be using his job as a journalist to go after the man who beat out his cousin. And do you guys not know about Chris Batten. He cannot be believed or trusted. He’s the last person who should be commenting on an honest DA.

• Ccres says:

Jon David had not slowed RC Soles down one bit. If you believe that, then you don’t know anything going on in Columbus County. RC retiring from Congress reduced his power, but his little thug boys are just as active as ever. You must not know who his new little cronies are. One of them was just given 17 days as time served for a home invasion on an elderly couple. He has a crime sheet that will run a printer out of ink. He should have been put away long ago. He is responsible for more B&E than anyone in the area. We need someone in the county that will stop this wrist slapping and Jon David sure isn’t doing it. He is more interested in making money from traffic violations mainly from the working class. It will cost you more money for a 70/55 than it will being charged with heroin in this county.

• Michael Collins says:

I do not know Smithwick. But I do know Chris Batten and if he’s promoting Smithwick then I’m staying with David or anyone else Chris Batten is against. Chris Batten is a very seedy character. His appearance and demeanor should speak for themselves. He is a bully and he is very seldom honest. This David guy has caused a major rift with the RC Soles controlled machine. David has weakened it tremendously but this latest ranting by Chris Batten shows it’s still alive. Keep David in. He’s really done a great job of telling the Chris Battens they have to handle justice in the front of the court room instead of the back room.

• Margaret says:

That’s one reason they can never clean anything up around here, too much nepotism. I’m against it because I don’t have any influential relatives.

• Caucasian says:

Why are you suggesting family connection in the District Attorney indicates corruption? In that case, Sid Causey who is running for Sheriff is also family of the same boss Jon David Bows to, W.Allen Cobb Jr…so what if his dad put the Wilmington 10, 9 black men and 1 white woman in jail for life sentences for a crime they didn’t commit? so what

• Roger Smith says:

I tried to post this to the WECT Site but it would not let me, So much for free speech.
    Wow I cannot believe this is still ongoing. This mess stared when David got elected district attorney. This(Batten’s revenge letter) should not have been news but Justin Smith the TV6 reporter is kin to the guy who ran against David the last time. Butch Pope. Justin actually worked for Mike McIntyre the democrat congressman. Butch was defeated. For Pete’s sake let’s move on guys. That corrupt political machine down in Columbus appears to have dug up another candidate. Ryan Smithwick. Just listen to him talk. He cannot even communicate. He admits to David’s allegations that he is inexperienced when he himself says he’s never tried a murder case. Yet he wants to get elected and he thinks he should be paid by the taxpayers to learn on the job? You cannot play around with the office of the district attorney. Or at least you should not. David is making those judges and lawyers work. He’s not one of them. They’re mad. They’re obviously trying to put someone in they can control. That someone is Ryan Smithwick. Oh yeah look at the board of elections site. Smithwick was a democrat last year. Smells funny. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and goes “quack quack” its not an elephant. Its a RINO. Anywhere else and this Smithwick would not even be news. TV6 who started this has allowed Butch Pope’s cousin to use his job to punch back at David. You lost Butch. Do not be a sore loser. Move on.

• Ray Green says:

Please mention Smithwick was an “assistant” DA in Charlotte. There is a big difference. Also you should look into why he had to leave the DA’s office. So many “facts” floating around these days it’s pathetic. Mr. Smithwick has some major issues to overcome if he’s ever to be seen as a valid candidate for any office. I am no Jon David fan but he is honest. He’s got much more experience than Ryan Smithwick and he’s got these corrupt attorneys trying to throw him out of office. That tells me all I need to know.

• Brunswick Citizen says:

The comments from John David are the same arrogance that the entire area has become familiar. He has failed as a leader for the past three plus years but yet focuses on the fact that he can sit for a murder trial that another district attorney has prepared. As far as different places in their careers, he is correct. David has shown that he does not have the ability to lead an office or communicate and work with area law enforcement/leaders. As is typical with Mr. David, he characterizes Mr. Smithwik as a criminal defense attorney but forgets to tell everyone that Mr. Smithwik was a district attorney in Charlotte. All we here in Brunswick County is the support is Mr. Smithwik is receiving from law enforcement including Sheriff Batten. It is very telling that law enforcement supports Mr. Smithwik as they are the ones that should be dealing with the district attorney on a regular basis. We need a change in leadership and we will be lucky to have Mr. Smithwik.

• James Cooper says:

If the “law” wants him then maybe we should take a closer look

• zenobia says:

Its nice seeing the election warming up early.

• Oliver Twist says:

One and Done
    Crime is up 147 percent. Let’s get the facts straight. The DA is working much swifter and has his work cut out for him is all this means. Crimes being committed have nothing to do with the DA and no more so for the sheriff, judges etc. Did you graduate from school? What was your final grade in math? I fail to see your point here. So would electing Smithwick stop crime in its tracks? Is that what you are saying. Smithwick promises peace on earth. Yeah so did Hitler.

• Greenluv1322 says:

Hopefully they vote Jon David out of office. Violent crime has increased 140% since he has been DA. Jon go back to Wilmington. Play golf & take care of your kids, you’re out of your league.

• Technical says:

Read the Google Archives! The guy who burned Mike’s Grocery was never arrested, the witness was bribed with a scooter by the District Attorney & given alcohol when he was waiting to testify, BIG TECHNICALITY!

The Wilmington 10 are not innocent. They got off on a technicality.

• Ross G says:

This is about Smithwick’s democratic roots coming to the surface. Batten never had a good name and a simple google of Sheriff Chris Batten or Columbus County Corruption will give an indication of what’s the real issue here. The real issue is that Jon David came to a crooked district. In a white he has done all he can to clean up the back room dealings of the guys in the black hats. Smithwick and Batten are two peas in a pod. Both have an agenda that will lead to their pockets being filled by the criminal defense bar. Both have names for not being honest or truthful. Do not be deceived. Do not buy what the ex Sheriff Batten is selling. And do not drink his stinking kool aide.

• Ray Martin says:

This former sheriff had many problems when in office. Under his watch the county of Columbus was sued many times. On one occasion the county paid $195k to settle a lawsuit where Batten lied on an official. Batten is most likely crying because this DA wouldn’t look the other way. This DA appears to have done much to upset the good ole boys longtime corrupted apple cart.

• Concerned Citizen says:

Jon David has been fantastic for this community. What you are looking at is a DA who did not allow things to continue to be business as usual and some folks are having a tough time adjusting.