Will Roy Cooper run for Governor?

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 05/22/2014 - 2:22am
Updated: Thu, 05/22/2014 - 12:10pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY-TV)– Attorney General Roy Cooper knows he has a job to do and running for Governor isn’t it.

“It’s too early for me to make an official announcement,” Cooper said, “I am making plans though because I am deeply concerned about the direction of our state.”

He says the current state of North Carolina is pushing him to speak out.

“I don’t agree with a number of actions that the governor and the general assembly have taken,” Cooper said.

Saying he is still doing his part to defend the state legally whether he agrees or not.

He says he’ll continue to do his due diligence saying attorneys in his office have been fighting on behalf of the people of the Tar Heel state and winning.

“That’s not going to stop me from speaking out on the public policy of these issues,” Cooper said, “and trying to get the governor and general assembly to change their minds on some of these actions that they’ve taken.”

Cooper says he’ll make an official announcement about running for Governor soon in the meantime he’s started a website taking shots at the governor called “Take Back North Carolina.”

• 211 says:

HE WON’T GET MY VOTE, NO MATTER WHICH PARTY HE REPRESENTS.

• M.O. says:

Cooper said, “I am making plans though, because I am deeply concerned about the direction of our state.”

AG Roy Cooper, I am deeply concerned regarding the ethical direction departments you directly manage have taken. Please get them under control before tackling the entire state.

You can start by answering those hard, factual emails that come your way. When you say nothing, you are actually speaking volumes.

• theo says:

So Ole Roy is worried about the direction of the state? Funny he wasn’t worried about it when Mike “Under-his-desk” Easly and Guv Bev were driving the “ship” aground. Maybe Ole Roy can find someone who wasn’t convicted of something to stump for him. Pathetic.

• SurfCityTom says:

making statements against the Governor. Now has a website.

He’s running.

The question is will he do the right thing and resign from office now?

• Guestman. says:

Why? Did Tillis resign his post?

• SurfCityTom says:

the State AG is a year round position for which he receives in excess of $120,000 annually.

He is a member of the Council of State. When he opposes the Governor and policies, he should clearly state he does so as a private citizen. If he can not uphold all of the laws in NC; and can not fully enforce those he may disagree with, he needs to step down.

But he wants to use his current position to further his political future.

Tillis, on the other hand serves in a Legislature which does not require his attention every day it is not in session. I’ve been to Raleigh 3 times since the short session convened; he’s been present every day.

So, why should he resign now?

He will prior to taking the oath of office in January when he replaces Hagen.

• Guestman. says:

He has already said that he will uphold the laws of NC, even though as a private citizen he will state his opposition. This is well and truly fair to do. He has not said he would do otherwise and you cannot show me where he said he would.
    What you are doing with this question is the same thing as a “push poll” basically. Like Bush did to McCain in SC with “How would you feel about McCain if you knew he had a mixed race child”.
    He is also an elected official and to quit his post would be an injustice to the people of the state of NC since, obviously, a majority of the people voted for him.
    Tom Tillis is in a position that the voters did not get a chance to say he would be there or not. I am glad he is not full time because just think of the harm he could do to the people of the state if he were. He’s done enough as it is.
    You must be awfully proud you know the way to Raleigh since you have mentioned it many times in the last week on your posts. I am sure there are people that go there more. You have never said why you go. Are you trying to buy a truck, get psychiatric treatment, driving a fish wagon, or what?

The article didn’t mention his party affiliation – can anyone tell us?

• deputy25 says:

D for dummy!

• Tom Cat Norton says:

I am a life time republican, that never supported Jessie Helms or Lot Faircloth, but other than them two, I am pretty straight conservative. I have meet McCrory on a few occasions and appeared real fake .Truly rich guys only club type. I have to say his actions since Governor are simply appalling and ignorant. 12 years of April as under age drinking groups orange ribbon to raise awareness,1 million state dollars spent and He is on T V Proclaiming April the official Alcohol Beer month ??? Roy cooper I have work with and know his deep felt passion for the betterment of all North Carolinians ,holding folks accountable, and honesty. If there any more republican’s feel the same contact me.tgnorton1k@aol.com
    Republicans for Roy Cooper //replace the ignorant
    Tom Norton

• guestyI says:

I hope so… a random drunk homeless guy would make a better Gov than Pat “Stupid Hat” McCrory. I didn’t think it was possible to elect a worse Gov than Bev, but we did???