Former Brunswick Co. Sheriff Ron Hewett dies in jail

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Sat, 07/12/2014 - 10:16pm
Updated: Wed, 10/15/2014 - 1:14am

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — US Marshals confirm that former Brunswick County Sheriff Ronald Hewett has died in jail at the New Hanover County Jail.

It happened around 2 p.m.

Sheriff Ed McMahon in partnership with the New Hanover County District Attorney’s Office has requested the State Bureau of Investigation to conduct the investigation in accordance to their standard operating procedures.

Hewett made his initial court appearance in federal court in Wilmington Thursday to face a charge of possession of a firearm by a felon. ATF agents arrested him Wednesday after executing a search warrant at Hewett’s Supply home and reportedly finding several firearms. Hewett is a felon after pleading guilty in 2008 to a federal obstruction of justice charge and state embezzlement charges earning him a 16-month sentence in federal prison.

Hewett arrived in court shackled at the hands and feet wearing a yellow golf shirt and camouflage shorts after spending the night in the Brunswick County Jail, which he oversaw during his 17 years as sheriff.

During the hearing Hewett repeatedly turned around to look at the reporters gathered in the courtroom, where no cameras are allowed. As he left court, Hewett looked toward his family and told them, “I love you.”

Hewett was due back in court this Friday for a probable cause and detention hearing, as federal prosecutors said they wanted to keep him in custody.

How could you even think of voting for someone who broke the trust of the people he was serving? I have nothing personal against the man and I am sorry that he is dead, but there is no way I would have ever voted for him after the crimes he committed.

• Joe Bob says:

It is a sad day, and it is thought provoking that one can lead a brilliant life and then let a few bad judgement calls write an ending to what would have been a very positive history. I am sure there is no conspiracy, and once the investigation is done it will be a natural causes death ruling. There are conspiracies afoot every time someone dies in custody, but most of the time there is nothing to them, and the findings back that up. I hope and pray his family finds peace now that his fight is over. Don’t let a mistake or two ruin your own story people, learn from this. Tell the truth, and if you stray from the straight and narrow do not try to cover it up. This man’s battle is over, we all know God can forgive a mistake quicker than people will.

• guest 1980 says:

Yea it looked like they protected him alright……..If no gun was used, then a persons rights should not be taken away…..if pedo’s and rapists were locked up or done away with like they should be you wouldn’t have to worry about them after there crimes….but I’m guessing that’s inhumane…..and the drug dealers don’t really bother me because its a shame that street dope is safer than your local MD ,CVS and Walgreen dope….but the government says that kind of dope is OK so I don’t know what I’m thinking

• guest111 says:

I just read the letter from Ron’s long time friend explaining Ron’s downfall with alcohol and drugs. This friend didn’t put the blame on anyone but alcohol and drugs. What he said made sense. Alcohol has destroyed many and many a person and family. It has always made me furious that the laws went after a smoker yet does nothing to the people who hit the bars at noon, drink all afternoon then get out in rush hour traffic when people are going home from work. Alcohol is a demon to any and all who abuse it, as Ron did. Why doesn’t someone sue alcohol makers and distributors like they did cigarettes? It’s a shame the he was one of the millions who get addicted to the drink and destroyed his life.

• lori says:

i have known ronald hewett since he started the dare program in the schools. he was always nice to me and my family.always joking and giving hugs smiling thumbs up.he has 14 years as a vet of sheriff for brunswick county. they need to get to the bottom of what really happened and dont lie about it.all the inforecments need to stop and think if yall wouldnt in the group it could be yall right now in the same situation.the governor needs to get behind it and help support this to get answers on it.and as far as cleaning his yard he was only letting the inmates do free community services. ronald would have your back and return calls back like he would say he would do.sheriff ingram needs to speak out and help to get answers on what happened to.ronalds done a lot of good for brunswick county like getting the drugs off of the streets.

• becca7138 says:

then why was he tazed to death instead of court ordered to go to a recovery facility, if his “friend” was right and truly a friend?

• Rusty says:

As are most mechanics, electricians, plumbers, lawyers, contractors, or any other profession that has to deal with a public that has NO clue what there job really entails and judges by a few bad apples. Try walking in their shoes before you make any judgements and apply a tar brush to an entire profession. Whatever you do for a living I’m sure there are people that don’t like it.. I’m not slandering it; try doing the same?

• Jersey Greg says:

Steve C. – A very WELL STATED, ELOQUENT and ARTICULATE comment. Clearly,…you are an educated and well-groomed individual. Those who read my reply to you, who perhaps are not “on par” with where I’m coming from,….just won’t “get it”, so there’s no sense/point in me trying to defend my presumptuousness. I’m from Jersey, so with the exception of the most recent incident(s) surrounding your cousin, Sheriff Hewett, admittedly, I don’t know much about the back-story. With that being said, I think that virtually EVERYTHING which you touched on in your comment(s) is truth/fact/inarguable. Sadly, in this day & age, society is SUPER QUICK to condemn, convict, and (figuratively) EXECUTE when one is found guilty. At the end of the day, I FULLY and COMPLETELY realize that once ones trust has been betrayed, it’s hard to gain back, if ever again at all. However, it sounds like Ron’s GOOD which he provided to his community over nearly 17 years, FAR OUTWEIGHED the bad which he did. Nevertheless, I hope your family is able to find eventual peace, and thoughts/prayers be with you.

• I tried to get in touch with Ron Hewett on June 26. Left him a message with my name and phone number. He never returned my call, but the morning he was arrested, July 10 someone from Supply, NC visited my blog. The blog tells the whole story about my son’s disappearance and I believe my son’s disappearance is connected with the same people involved in the Amy Frink disappearance/abduction and death. When I read that Mr. Hewett had died, I was shocked and of course wondered who had visited my blog the morning he’d been arrested. I had wanted to ask him questions about the Amy Frink murder, because my son disappeared much the same way as Amy, with many of the same circumstances soon after I had given the Brunswick County authorities information that might help solve her murder in 1998. I know that John Carr Davis may know more than Ron Hewett, and Mike Easley and Rex Gore may know even more than that. The investigation of my son’s “suicide” in Baldwin County, Alabama and Cobb County, Georgia is a travesty. His body did not match the autopsy report and police reports. Files disappeared from computers. Some reports were never entered into computers. All manner of intimidation has been used against me to make me stop trying to uncover what they’ve done. I have also followed the murder of Officer Davina Buff Jones and was astounded that the local authorities in Brunswick County would hose down the evidence, blood, prints from the scene of that murder before the entire area was properly processed. And that the state of North Carolina does not have the integrity or honor to recognize her death as a murder is absolutely incredible. I saw the autopsy pictures and anybody could see by the wound that she was incapable of inflicting it to herself. I am a formerly contributing editorial cartoonist in N.C., in Monroe, NC 1988-1992 contributing to the Enquirer Journal Newspaper and some others. My sympathies are to Mr. Hewett’s family. I did not know him personally but feel he was young when he walked into the position as sheriff, and possibly was forced to carry burdens and inside knowledge of that job which was not of his own making. I also read the letter from the “friend,” Jonathan Crane and hope I never have a friend like that. If anyone ever referred to my life as “hero to zero” and called me friend, I would personally come back and haunt them from my grave. I do HOPE that an HONEST investigation will be done for Ron Hewett. EVERYONE deserves to have an honest death investigation. Feel free to visit my blog with many sections: http://sniffenfiles.blogspot.com/2013/10/mimicks-disappearance-and-murder.html I may be contacted there through the comments section.

• Buck O'Shields says:

I uderstand from news reports Monday morning that Ron Hewitts death accured sometime after a Taser was used on him. What action precipitated the need to use a Taser on Mr Hewitt ? Is there a video recording of this incident ? If so, it better not be erased. What is NHCTY’s jail protocol for checking on prisoners who have been Tased.

When my niece was murdered in Brunswick County 10-12 years ago, Ron Hewitt, Sheriff at tha time called me every day with updates on the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the murderer.

Ron’s fall from grace is regrettable. The dishonor he brought to the profession is regrettable. The members of the community who disliked Ron for his actions don’t need to heap hot coals on his head. Let him be and let his family that remains, heal.

MY bottom line is lets find why why he tased, how and why he died and could it have been preventable.

I have no desire to pass words with others.

Buck O’Shields

• jess says:

regardless of what people think or judge him for that matter he was a good man and did his time. they watch him like a hawk when theres other people in Brunswick county who also are not suppose to have firearms in their possession but yet they do and when they pose a threat and you call the sheriffs office they say theres nothing you can do but yet they took Ronald into custody where he spent his last minutes. this is b.s. why are some rules okay for some and not for others the sbi should do an investigation of Brunswick county!!!!

No witch hunt here…One of the quickest ways I know to get law enforcement to your house is be a convicted felon who makes death threats to yourr estranged spouse.

• Charles Walters says:

Ronald Hewett was just another crooked cop who got caught. He was a disgrace to the uniform and the profession, and karma busted his behind. This man was not a good person. He abused his power, and took advantage of his badge, and his office. I quite frankly do not understand those of you who defend someone like him, but you see it all the time on this site. People who defend criminals even when everyone knows they are guilty just like Ronald “Hollywood” Hewett.

• Has a clue says:

So rapist, pedophiles, drug dealers, wife beaters, or any slashing, stabbing, or other violent felon should be able to restore their gun rights? I wish I lived in Disney Land like the rest of you folks. Your old buddy Ron had north of three dozen firearms if half of what is being said is correct, not to mention more drugs and booze in the house.

Good thing thing someone put the brakes on him again before he hurt someone down the road. It was the people that worked for him that protected our community, and in the end of his career, protected Ronald from himself.

• zenobia says:

Of course criminals would notice the police were not honest first, since those are the folks the dishonest cops sell the drugs they steal from the evidence locker or local drug stores to. It takes the honest citizens longer to catch on.

Why are you passing judgment when all the facts aren’t in?

• Concerned Citizen says:

Somebody in Brunswick County set up a page seeking Justice for Ronald Hewett. https://www.facebook.com/sheriffronaldhewett

• Cindy says:

What’s wrong with you people the man is dead, let him rest in piece. Would you want to read this stuff if this were your dad, or your son. Have some compassion on his family.

• Charles Walters says:

No sir you are wrong. All cops are not crooked. I personally know many very honest officers of the law. Your statement is misinformed and idiotic, unless you are a criminal then it makes perfect sense.

• Sarah Baker says:

For all of those who slandered Ronald Hewett, go expand your perspective. I lived in a third world country, where the police robbed my house. Nothing will make you appreciate the freedom you have been given by living without the rights you are clearly taking for granted. Stop being ignorant or stop being lazy and go do the job yourself, become sheriff, and show us how its done.

• Nonicomb says:

I don’t know what you have been reading, but everything I have read has stated that he was being charged with “possession of a firearm by a felon.” Sure, you can petition to have your rights reinstated, but it is just that: a petition. That doesn’t mean it is automatic. I have yet to read ANYWHERE that he had those rights reinstated.

• Good citizen says:

Truer words have never been spoken. Hope they all follow suit!

• cmauze says:

The problem is that there has been corruption in law enforcement in southeastern North Carolina since the ’70’s; and sadly nothing has changed. Much of it is drug-related (payoffs and bribes); such as when former Brunswick County sheriff Herman Strong resigned after being found guilty of five counts of conspiring to smuggle drugs back in 1983. Nice legacy we have here, folks. The question is, when are we, the voters and taxpayers going to get fed up enough to stop making excuses for dirty law enforcement and do something about it?

Most likely Officer Jones’ death was the result of a drug deal gone bad, where she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (or perhaps it was actually the right place at the right time, in order to bring criminals to long-overdue justice). The mere fact that Jones’ family and their advocates were told by those in high positions of power and authority to “leave it alone” and “drop it” should’ve served as prima facie evidence enough to have had Rex Gore, Sheriff Hewett and all their cronies involved in such an obvious, shameless cover-up (figuratively) ridden out of town on a rail. Perhaps at the very least if Sheriff Hewett had been given a dose of humility and lost his bids for re-election, as definitely should’ve happened in response to this fiasco, the ongoing investigation of Jones’ murder wouldn’t have been obstructed; and the subsequent downward trajectory of Ronald’s professional and personal life could’ve been altered in a positive direction to where he’d still be alive today.

Has there been foul play in Hewett’s jailhouse demise? I’m certainly not ruling out the possibility. Either way, our ex-sheriff deserves a proper, in-depth, unbiased investigation just like anyone else. But Hewett’s family are not the only ones grieving. As long as murderers have not been brought to justice, we cannot argue to keep sweeping vital information under the rug under the guise of “letting the dead rest in peace.” If Hewett or his family were actually being threatened, then that is all the more reason the investigations must continue, whatever additional negative implications (if any) there might be for his posthumous legacy and reputation.

• cherry says:

Simple solution for you. Move out of this country

• joe says:

All cops are crooked. What are you talking about?

• Obamaroid Ointment says:

Democrat is as Democrat does.

• Chester Moyle says:

Well I am sure some slime will come out with new stories now that he died. I have known Ron since he was a teenager and always liked him. I could give a damn about your opinion. I am very sorry for his family and I hope He can rest in peace.

• earl h says:

Based on his photo, he most likely died from congestive heart failure accompanied by stress causing a heart attack. It appears that he had a build up of fluids.

• Jerry-W says:

HOW IS IT ONE CAN DO 1000’s OF GOOD ACTS AND A FEW BAD ACTS, YET, THERE ARE THOSE THAT ONLY FOCUS ON THE BAD ACTS?

The citizens of Brunswick County are safe in their neighborhoods due to Ronald Hewett’s past service and the continued efforts of Sheriff John Ingram. Ronald served Brunswick County during an era of tremendous growth. Sheriff Ingram and his deputies work diligently to make Brunswick County safe. Brunswick County is the 7th largest county (sq miles) in the state.

Just look at the past weeks headlines:

New Hanover County:

– Two robberies on Saturday
    – Shooting in Houston Moore Housing complex sends man to hospital
    – WPD looking for man who robbed Family Dollar
    – Man robbed before being tied to bed and gagged
    – Man robbed at gun point after fireworks
    – Wilmington man found dead in backstreet alley
    – Hit-and-run victim dies, police search for SUV that hit him

Brunswick County:

– Deputies looking for suspect who has avoided them for months
    – Supply man charged in Brunswick County’s largest heroin bust
    – New Hanover man charged with sex crimes with child in Oak Island
    – Man wanted for child sex crimes in Brunswick Co. arrested in Idaho
    – CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Suspects sought in pig cooker theft from VFW
    – Teen Charged with shooting man in Brunswick County
    – Crack dealer convicted as habitual felon again

My View:

– New Hanover County is becoming “Wild West” with its unresolved weekly acts of crime.
    – Brunswick County is resolving crime, regardless of where the criminal is, of which, many reside outside the county.

I don’t lock my doors in Brunswick County. I am not recommending this as it is a personal preference. I thank Sheriff John Ingram and his awesome deputies for all the hard work for our well-being. I know our former Sheriff, Ronald Hewett, made a difference! I will miss him.

If nothing else, I ask you this:

Put yourself in Ronald’s position, look through his eyes, feel his remorse and pain, experience his consequences.

Ask any 10 people in Brunswick County about Ronald. 9 will speak in high regard. 1 will speak of pure negativity.

That 1 person focusing on negativity towards Ronald doesn’t affect him….It affects you. To you I say: You cant throw brimstones at Ronald anymore.

• guest45 says:

I met Ronald Hewett a long time ago and I have always liked him, I thought he did the citizens of Brunswick County a great job. I read an article he had in the Brunswick Beacon and he said he preferred his deputies out helping the citizens rather than wiritng tickets, and I believe he meant it, quiet a change from the present conditions in BC. Rest in peace Ronald, I hope someday we can understand exactly what transpired against you. I was one person that voted for letting a felon run for sheriff, he had no need to carry a gun and would have looked after the citizens of Brunswick county.

• Cynthia says:

Very well said!

• BillyStanley says:

“Several firearms were seized, including but not limited to a Smith and Wesson .38 Revolver that was found in the top drawer of Hewett’s bedside table. This firearm was not made in NC, therefore it must have been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.”

And THAT was the crime. The gun had, at some point, as most guns do, CROSSED A STATE LINE.

Now, ask yourself how hard it was to get a warrant to search a home based on that fact.

THIS WAS A WITCH HUNT. I hope they’re f’n happy.

• AnimalLover says:

Most of these comments are so idiotic. They are examples of why this country isn’t great anymore. Morbid obesity comments. I can’t stand you people.

• Daniel Seamans says:

Folks, I’m having to delete a number of comments for profanity. Please do not use any words that we all know are not allowed. I want everyone to speak freely, but comments that use profanity of any kind can not be approved. Thank you.
    -Daniel (I’m one of the moderators)

• SEM says:

This saddens me to no end….. No one is perfect.
    Known this man for many years. A good friend to my mother & a great friend to the community.
    People make mistakes but, it doesn’t mean they are bad people.
    Sometimes the choices we make aren’t exactly right
    But who hasn’t made a bad choice in life??!? He didn’t deserve any of this.
    TO THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PAIN THEY CAUSED THIS SWEET MAN…. May you
    Feel accomplished in your life. Point one finger, there is always 4 pointing back at you.
    Rest well now Mr. Ronald E. Hewett.
    Nobody can hurt you now.

• BillyStanley says:

“A person with a nonviolent felony conviction in North Carolina or in another jurisdiction may petition for restoration of firearm rights in North Carolina if the person meets the statutory criteria.”

• guest 1980 says:

Lawmakers should change the laws where if a felony was committed not involving a gun , then that person should not lose gun or voting rights…….but if a crime was committed with a gun then that should qualify for max years and no gun rights……….

• martin says:

No, most cops are crooked. They exceed the speed limit just because they can and how many of them would stop and ticket a friend or relative? Think about it.

• David Tomlinson says:

That was my first thought, after seeing the recent photo of him. Congestive Heart Failure with the added stress. Sorry Ron. Hope you have found Peace.

• Lulz says:

I know the previous commenter said that “all” cops are crooked, and I do believe that is incorrect. But “most” cops are crooked is closer to the truth. Watch American Gangster, it’s based on a true story and at the end of the movie it goes through some interesting facts of the real events, such as 3/4ths of New York’s DEA were found guilty of taking bribes. Just because there are a handful of good cops is meaningless. It’s like saying this world is okay because there are some good people in it when most people are corrupt.

• Steve C. says:

Ron Hewett was family – a cousin actually. I suppose that many of the writers of comments here will assume an absolute bias on my part, but in our family, we tend to be much harder on each other when one of us strays from the path, than we might be for anyone else. Having read the comments here, I find it amazing how Ron’s past crimes have now grown – far beyond anything a court or jury of his peers have judged. So, I suppose that after a few decades in law enforcement, Ron has a few enemies that are perhaps a bit more biased than his family members seem to be. The initial criminal charges against Ron were not so terribly serious, in that the cited behavior was an every day fact of life for many politicians. Sadly, Ron’s reaction to the situation were clear cases of bad judgement, and most assuredly crimes in and of themselves. So, he made matters worse for himself and everyone around him – and he paid a very dear price. He ruined his life and seriously impacted those he held dear. Clearly, another crime was committed when he violated the laws barring felons from possessing firearms. Had the sad events of last week not intervened, Ron would surely have once again paid a serious price for his decisions. Based on local case histories for similar crimes committed by violent offenders and drug dealers, it seems unlikely that he would have been seriously sanctioned by the courts, though we will certainly never know for sure. Ron died while in the custody of trusted law enforcement officials. That is a truly sad fact of life now, but it is a bit early to be suggesting that his death in custody is proof positive of a criminal act by his jailers. The matter will be investigated by a somewhat disinterested law enforcement authority, and if foul play is involved, I am confident that the truth will in fact see the light day, and be dealt with the very unique harshness that our society usually saves for those public officials that violate their sacred trusts. Remember, that is pretty much how it went for Ron. Ron’s death is incredibly sad, but had a similar situation on his watch occurred in past years, Ron would tell us to let due process run its course. For those who have offered prayers and condolences to Ron’s family, I am certain that your kind thoughts are appreciated. As for Ron’s memory, I would hope for much better than what I am seeing written here. Ron’s lapses were a sad end to a brilliant life of public service. On balance, when considering Ron’s life in its entirety, it seems hard to imagine anyone concluding anything other than than the simple fact that Ron brought more good to this world and his community than bad. I would urge everyone to consider the whole of this very complex man who eventually fell victim to the sort of human frailties that plague us all at times. But hey, if it truly makes you feel better to bash a fundamentally good man, then I can assure you that Ron would OK with that. May Ron finally rest in peace, and may God watch over his loved ones. I for one have forgiven Ron his transgressions, though I doubt he ever found a way to forgive himself.

• Raylan says:

Bill stanly: the fact that Hewitt was a felon means he can’t possess a gun. The fact that he’s a felon and possessed a gun not made in nc makes it a federal crime above NCs state charge. Don’t comment on things you know nothing about. It makes you look like a moron.

• Local Yankee says:

Mr. Walters you are so off on you statement. I would surmise that you are the one person on the face of the earth that has never made a mistake. Ronald was a young man who took over a department that was rift with corruption. When he was elected,law enforcement in this county had just seen several of the departments, in the mist of an organized drug operation. Your choice to begin casting stones before his family has even had the opportunity to grieve is an indication of your poor upbringing, not to mention your total lack of compassion. Should we assume that you have had a poor relationship with law enforcement in the past? Perhaps you were arrested for poor choices you have made. I really don’t know, and I could really care less. Your total lack of any sort of decency, as in attacking a man who has not even had the time to be buried, is in my book a major fault in your character. Your own statement of being unable to understand how someone could defend the man, is understandable for someone lacking moral character. This is not the time to determine character. Two children lost their father, a mother her son, and friends are grieving. Why there are many people supporting him, is simple. Some people have class, while there are those who use the situation to promote their sad opinions. Ronald was a local, someone who many grew up with, played sports with, been friends and class mates with, and those who were just familiar with him. Ronald was well liked, because he was just that type of person. And of course there are those, like yourself, who didn’t like him for whatever reason. No one has jumped up and stated that Ronald was a God. No one has jumped up and yelled that they agreed with what Ronald pleaded guilty to. Ronald made some poor choices. That however, Mr. Walters, does not mean that Ronald was a bad man. Yes he made some wrong choices. Perhaps his quick ascension to the head lawman in Brunswick County, allowed him to become big headed, or power grabbing. That however does not diminish the good things he did for this county, and it certainly does not diminish the type of man he was. He took his medicine, and paid his penalty. The man never met a stranger, and the stranger never forgot the meeting. The reason people supported Sheriff Hewitt then, and now, is because even with his faults, despite his poor judgment, he was a man who kept his word, and was a very likable man. He made people feel comfortable just being around him. If you had a problem, he would try and correct it. And Mr. Hewitt was a man, not a God, not a saint, just a really nice man. You Mr. Walters have shown your real character. You are a man who has taken the opportunity to feed on Ronald’s mistakes. Even with his mistakes, I would much rather have Ronald as a friend, than you. The reason being he kept his word, admitted his mistakes, ask for forgiveness, and even with his world collapsing around him, admitted his fraility, and was a good family man. Oh yes, he had something lacking today; class. He owned his mistakes. He would never kick a man when he was down. He certainly would at the very least, allowed his family to bury him!

• Howard says:

I hope whoever the SBI sends to investigate Hewett’s death is honest and does a better job than those lying/incompetent (or both) agents who, like Hewett, assisted in covering up the murder of Bald Head Island Police Officer Dee Jones.

• lori says:

you would have to know ronald hewett he was a good man.And was good sheriff that brunswick county every had.his family is good people all so. he was the only sheriff during a hurricane that would get out with a chainsaw and cut down trees.he will be truly missed and loved as always. we have not had no law in order since ronald has been out of office like it should be with the drugs and all.thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

• Charles Walters says:

He showed up drunk and on drugs to crime scenes. He extorted money from people, and the list goes on. He plead guilty so he was guilty. The recorded rantings of him calling his his deputies under the influence of what ever firing them over the phone. Abusing his badge and the office he was elected to. You say I lack moral character, but Ronald Hewett most certanly lacked any moral character, and any good he did was erased by his criminal actions. You say you would rather have a friend like Ron Hewett than me, and I say GREAT because I don’t have friends who are idiots. I am not feeding off his mistakes, because they were much more than mistakes. He abused the trust he swore to uphold, and he put another black mark on the law enforcement profession all over the United States. Just the fact he had firearms in his home showed he lacked any respect for the law. He knew he was not supposed to have them yet he did. He lost that right to have a firearm, he lost his right to vote, he lost the right to be called a good man, and he lost his right to be called Sheriff.

• red says:

i think the governor of north carolina need to get behind ronald hewett death. and find out what killed him. this is not the first death in new hanover county jail.so something tells the governor things are not adding up who are they trying to hush up. by the law in north carolina. ronald shouldnt been put in population he is a 14 year sheriff largest in north carolina. you dont think he didnt have any enemys im sure he did out there. who every is responsible for this state federal or local govt need to own up.any one of yall law enforcement that is not apart of there group it could be some of yall right now .all though ronald hewett was convicted of wrong he did not need to be in the county jail that he was from.sounds like to me that they wanted him dead and it was a inside doing.so the people need to rally together in brunswick county to get answer on what happened even the governer needs to get involved in it.why would they want to do away with ronald they just didnt want him to talk.he has not done nothing to me i knew him for a long time back from school he was always giving hugs smiles thumbs up. he was one of the ones that started the dare program in brunswick county need to give credit to him.where credit is due.although he took the inmates to his house to work he was saving the state money.although i dont think he done nothing wrong because the state says community services well that was what he was doing for the community and the county.even though that sheriff ingram is in brunswick county he needs to get with the governor and go after new hanover county for the ones responsible for his death.

• nancy pearsall says:

For ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. No one is perfect. We have to forgive the person or when we come to God to ask forgiveness it will not be given. And love your neighbor as yourself.

• david 2 says:

Rex Gore, Ingram, Miller were all involved with the cover up death of Ms Jones….They know all the answers and what happened…

• Dot Schuck says:

It would be great if we could ever know why he had to be tased to death when any other inmate would have been court ordered to go to a recovery facility. He was murdered by people in the jail, sorry, but there is no other word for it. He was a good man, and I can guarantee you that the public will never know the whole truth. Ron was a friend for many years to me and others, and everyone deserves to know why he was taken from us.

• Carol Phelps says:

Thank you, Local Yankee, for redirecting the focus back to friends and loved ones who await answers and take on the painful task of making the necessary final arrangements. Whatever the did or did not do is now history. I agree that his family and friends deserve to be treated with dignity and compassion. I was taught, “If you cannot say something good, say nothing at all.”

In order for slander to occur a lie has to be told. Ronald Hewett was a convicted felon. He pleaded guilty. Mr. Walters told no lies.

It wasn’t Brunswick County that arrested Hewett. It was the federal government. Therefore, your double standard theory doesn’t hold water in this case.

• Michelle King says:

His own children and ex wife turned him in…

I’ll bet deputies were involved if so this opens a whole new can of worms.

• Billy Soots says:

This is for you Sheriff Hewett, We all have sinned and fallen short. NO one sin is greater or lesser than another. Hopefully you will have found peace in our Lord Jesus Christ, and the gates of heaven opened and the words of Christ himself fall upon you. “Welcome home my good and faithful servant” For us…we can only imagine.

I’m not against a man defending himself or his home. I’m not against non-violent criminals carrying firearms, but he knew the consequences of his actions when he was committing the crimes for which he was convicted.

• suspicious 1 says:

These gun laws are unfair and make no sense. If a person committed a felony that involved a gun, it might make sense to a small degree. However, a non-violent felony that did not involve a gun should not bar a citizen from owning one once he has served his time and paid his debt. This needs to be changed. Sometimes we have to question laws instead of acting like sheep and doing as we are told.

• uStupid says:

Ron put a lot of people in prison, people that get out of prison like to get revenge sometimes. He should have had the right to arm himself to protect himself, since obviously the law couldn’t.

• myraclemom says:

I totally agree! That’s about like permanently revoking their license even though they weren’t driving drunk!There are a lot of things in this country we need to stand up for…or against, as the case may be!

• BillyStanley says:

He did not break any laws by having weapons. That is not what he was being held for. Do your homework and then ask yourself how hard they had to try to find out if the revolver in his night stand happened to have been manufactured in a different state, because that was the reason they brought him in, some old obsolete specific about owning a gun that has crossed a state line.

• BillyStanley says:

He was not charged with gun possession. He had his gun rights restored. He was charged with having one that wasn’t manufactured in NC. Who’s ever heard of that?!

• BillyStanley says:

He was charged with having a gun that had crossed a state line, because…

• Jones says:

That is one heck of a reckoning.

• eddie says:

R.I.P Sheriff Hewett, Dies in jail?? Did he have a heart attack, was he killed by another inmate who found out he was a cop ??? More info please

• Timekeeper says:

My guess is the cops and the legal community as a whole will be very tight-lipped about this. The public will probably never find out the true details.

• Kara says:

He is no better than anyone else. A felon is a felon and if he had guns then he knew better.

• guest 123 says:

That is so sad. My condolences for the family. This seems so senseless that he was arrested for having a gun in his home, Yes, I know the bit about felons not owning guns. I still think officers of the law (former or present ) would know better then anyone the need for home protection. He wasn’t a violent or druggie felon. Seems a bigger deal was made over him having a gun at home then it would have been the average citizen. I don’t know him or his family but I think this is a very sad ending to a man minding his own business in his own home.

We all know there are plenty of thug, gang etc felons in this town with more then 1 gun in their house. Why aren’t they all being dragged through the media and out of their homes with people watching them in court like a circus act?

• g says:

Well put, I totally agree. Ron Hewlett’s former conviction, recent arrest and death are all so bizarre. This man should not have died in jail like this, something is majorly wrong. None of this should have ever happened. I am very worried about what is going on in Brunswick and New Hanover Counties, too many people seem die in our jails and too many people are being killed by police. This is a wake up call for all!!

• richard manniing says:

sounds like witness protection

• raysdaze says:

I haven’t thought about WPP, but as a mortician, I’ll find out what really happened.

• Timekeeper says:

Might be witness protection, but if that were the case, I think he would have just disappeared from his home one night never to be heard from again.

• cmauze says:

Oh, you mean like the true details behind the homicidal death of Bald Head Island officer Dee Buff Jones back in the late ’90s? I’ve always wondered about ex-Sheriff Hewett’s role in that incident. Now Jones’ family and the taxpaying public may never know.

• Karma Will Get You says:

I am sorry to the family for their loss.. But, all you people who think this man a non druggie and felon are completely lacking the knowledge to make that statement. An he went to prison and served time as a Felon so therefore he was no different than any other Felon who is not allowed to own fire arms. If he wanted to protect him self then he should have up held the law that he took the oath for.. He was wrong for that firearm just like all the other things that he did while he was serving our county. When he decided that he was above the law and untouchable and he could do as he pleased when he pleased and to whom he pleased and did it illegally that made him a liar and a thief and he was wrong. If this were anything else or anyone else noone would care. At one time this man was a great man but he let his head swell and he became a lot of things that are not very nice. I hoop his family can find peace and get through this..

• BillyStanley says:

He did not break any laws by having weapons. That is not what he was being held for. Do your homework and then ask yourself how hard they had to try to find out if the revolver in his night stand happened to have been manufactured in another state, because that was the reason they brought him in.

• Ken PERRIN says:

Sometimes power is too much for honest people to deal with. The thins the Sheriff had done that landed him in the prison he KNEW were wrong and illegal but tried to get away with it. Hope some other law enforcement officers will learn from Ron’s mistakes. You just have to stay on the right side of the law or be prepared for the consequences. RIP Ron Hewitt

• guest111 says:

I hope he didn’t commit suicide.

• Papa Bear says:

We’ll never know now. Very interesting as well as sad.

• Bystander says:

And the issue is not that the gun crossed lines it’s that the gun is actually from another state and he acquired the gun after his conviction.

And you know you are 100% wrong he is being charge both with the gun across state lines and felon in possession of a gun as he did not have his rights restored.

Yes sir need to research more before you post instead of jumping on everyone else’s case it is obvious this man is a friend of yours