FIRST ON 3: Ron Hewett was tased before death in jail

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Sun, 07/13/2014 - 5:33pm
Updated: Mon, 07/14/2014 - 8:26pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — WWAY has learned former Brunswick County Sheriff Ronald Hewett was tased before he died yesterday, according to a source close to the situation.

Hewett died shortly after 2 p.m. at the New Hanover County Jail, where he was being held on a federal detainer. What is still unclear is how much time passed between the use of the Taser and when Hewett died.

New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Jerry Brewer said Sunday the agency could not comment on whether a Taser was used because the incident is under investigation by the State Bureau of Investigation and because Hewett was a federal inmate. Brewer did say the Sheriff’s Office is conducting an internal review to see if any policies were violated. He said no one has been suspended or put on administrative duty in connection to anything that happened at the jail regarding Hewett.

The Sheriff’s Office has referred all questions to the US Marshal Service. When we asked a spokesman for the Marshal Service about an autopsy, he said there was no new information regarding Hewett’s death.

A look back and the life and career of Ron Hewett

Hewett had been in custody since agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) arrested him Wednesday and charged him with a federal count of possession of a firearm by a felon. The arrest came after agents served a warrant at Hewett’s Supply home and say they found several weapons. Under federal law, he could not have a firearm following his 2008 conviction on obstruction of justice.

Hewett was initially held in the Brunswick County Jail, but was transferred to the New Hanover County Jail following his initial appearance in federal court in Wilmington Thursday morning.

• Guesto says:

McMahon for Sheriff this November? You are out of your mind. The crime rate in this county has skyrocketed in the span of less than 5 years, and Ed runs his department for the comfort and convenience of the criminals. But that’s what you get when you have a used car salesman as Sheriff and chef Julia Child as Chief Deputy.

Ed McMahon: The Criminal’s Choice For New Hanover County Sheriff™

• Unknown1234 says:

Has anyone ask to see what time 911 was called and the tape from it as I hear a call was not made till almost 3 pm what happend during that time gap???

• Rick Wilson says:

The whole affair has a foul smell to it. Why were the Feds so intent on keeping him in custody? Most others would have received bail. What was the flight risk? I am curious to see what the investigation reveals……..but on the surface it looks like somebody(s) wanted to keep him under control (quiet) and now they have succeeded on a permanent basis. It would be revealing to know what information and from whom led to a search warrant being issued in the first place.

• How is this possible says:

I don’t know Ron personally, however why would an ex sheriff do something to be tased. One would think he would know protocol and not let things go that far.He is in jail and should not pose that much of a threat to be tased. I understand we should not judge but come on, this sounds way to suspicious to me. I do hope they get to the bottom of this and take appropriate actions. All men even those incarcerated should be treated like human beings.

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

McMahon for sheriff this November!!!!

• Pam Richards says:

We will probably never find out the whole story about his death.

• lonetraveler says:

Friends and I were discussing this case as well as the history behind this case and I actually stated that Hewett would never survive this weekend in Jail. Unfortunately, I was correct. I was really hoping that he would be offered a deal on the gun charges for his testimony about the corruption and cover-up going on in Brunswick and Columbus County. Someone really meant for him not to talk.

• lonetraveler says:

It is so amazing to me that people actually think that Hewett’s case is about gun charges! Wake up and do your homework, people.

• Bennie Lee Spencer says:

“You reap what you sew”

• becca7138 says:

Secrets manifest!

• Joy Stephenson says:

I’ve known Ronald most of my life. His family went to Church with my family at Supply Baptist Church. He was always a dear friend and never too busy to take a call from me as Sheriff. I will miss his quick smile and warm hugs as will my entire family. RIP Ronald. You were very loved.

• Agree says:

I agree with with you. We probably will never know the truth about his death. I do find it suspect. I pray for his children and family.

• John says:

Rapists, Terrorists, Thugs, Child Molesters and Mass Murderers.

• Concerned citizen says:

From the picture posted, he did not appear to in great physical condition. My question is, was other methods used to refrain him tried? Pepper spray or maybe some less aggressive means. I’m also feel sure cameras are present in jail where incident occurred. Will they be released to the public? If proper protocol was used (not saying it was or wasn’t), then there’s no reason video should not be released.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Because the local drunk who worked at the car dealership had privy to so much secret information In Brunswick as well as Columbus. It’s summer, take off that tin foil hat, you are over heating.

• QTPI says:

I am confused…………who did he taze that subsequently died after being tazed……………enlighten us please.

• SnarkmeisterGeneral says:

2020, I join you in that sentiment. No way he deserved to die because of a parole violation.

• leigh2014 says:

where is the letter posted around 3 pm yesterday from the so called friend Jonathan Crane saying he went from a hero to a zero

• john gotti says:

He who lives by the taser….

• AmusedOne says:

That’s where you go to find organized crime? Never heard anyone say that before.

What are they doing there; stealing sand for construction projects? Are the lifeguard demanding protection money?

What an “interesting” thing to say.

• Dana709 says:

And he even got out of prison early on good reconnsence. I hope the feds come into this redneck town and do a criminal investigation of this and the good ole’ boys mentality, who thinks they can get away with such vigilante practices. What’s really sickening is to see the names of some of his high school “friends” who are obviously jealous and terrified that somehow he might over shadow their careers….well guess what…..you made it come to pass on your own.!

• Snapped says:

Very few facts, lots of speculation and misinformation. Let’s wait to see how this plays out.

• angelfire says:

Conspiracy or not, GOD decided it was time for him to come home. Ronald is in a better place. He doesn’t ever have to answer to anyone else again. Hopefully many lessons can be learned from this tangled web of deception and sadness. Truth is he had a good heart, he just lost his way! Don’t ever think that you can’t lose your way- because it can happen to the best of families and to the least expectant.

• Cheryl Davis says:

They just couldn’t leave him alone. He had paid his debt to society and trying to live out the rest of his days minding his own business. But some vindictive person – possibly family or friends – was being paid to watch him. I hope that whoever was responsible for his arrest reaps what he sowed. I don’t believe he just died – the stress of how he was being treated killed him. Along with the politicans (trying to be re-elected) took away his dignity and pride. They stripped him of all the honor he earned during his career as Sheriff. He was not bothering nobody in the privacy of his own home. Ronald Hewett was like family to the residents of Brunswick County. God comfort and protect his bereaved family and bless Ronald Hewett’s soul. Sleep on and take your rest, We loved you, but God loved you best. R.I.P. C. Davis Leland, NC

• lonetraveler says:

You are actually showing your ignorance. Again, do your homework preferably before you continue to put your foot into your mouth.

• suspicious 1 says:

Somehow, I can’t see Ron doing anything that would create the need for a taser, unless the guards were harassing him and provoked the situation. You can, however bet money that the camera(s) that should have caught the situation unfolding will have been out of service or some technical problem caused the ordeal to not be filmed, or the images will be so unclear that no one will be recognizable. Might be wrong, but seen this happen too often.

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Are you remotely familiar with the literary device commonly known as “sarcasm”?

sar·casm
    ˈsärˌkazəm
    noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

“his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment”

synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn

• Michael says:

I will have to say I lived in Brunswick county during the Ronald hewett era. Even though Ronald was treated different in a court room than I was and his department made up a lot of false charges against me he should not have to die in a jail like that. Come on people open your eyes the same way the lady police officer died on ball head island I guess that will go to the grave with Ronald or just like he covered up jamie hewetts murder

• eyeonyou says:

I don’t think so. There is no compensation for the lives he destroyed. Hewett made a career of incarcerating individuals on “suspicion” of mis-deeds. Many of these people spent months in jail, losing their jobs, homes, and family stability, only to have the charges dropped or dismissed against them when their day in court finally came. Those were the lucky ones. Targeted individuals had pertinent evidence withheld, or false evidence manufactured to gain a conviction. He played God with the lives of thousands. His “arrest and conviction record” was more important than the people he swore to protect. That Oath includes everyone, not just those beyond suspicion.

• Jennifer says:

Why would a ex sheriff be in federal custody ? If he knew what the protocol. Just my opinion.

• Ashley says:

As I read this letter from a supposed “friend” and I use that word loosely I couldn’t believe a friend would post such… I would hate to read what a enemy would write…. I learned a long time ago not to judge people because you don’t know the road it took to get them there…RIP RH

a man shouldn’t loose his 2nd Amendment rights for the charges he was brought up and convicted of. He was neither a danger by owning firearms, nor was he charged of a violent crime.

OBVIOUSLY….he had a reason to have a gun.

• Divad says:

Doubt Ron’s Brunswick good ole family or friends could ever pull that off. No, this was someone that was a STATE employee in the courts, a Federal employee in the courts or with the SBI Attorney Generals office…guaranteed. Think back who we know in recent history who most frequently has a Federally big idea and gets everyone in power in trouble somehow? Look back in the news, who in Brunswick calls in the Feds and State authorities most often?

I’m fairly sure, as we will find out, those cameras were either inoperable OR malfunctioned…WATCH!

• zenobia says:

The letter from Crane that implied that Ron could be expected to have severe benzo and alcohol withdrawal? That was one scary letter. Recently, a local child rapist who was going to come clean was denied alcohol cessation drugs, and conveniently committed suicide before he would talk

• Bennie Lee says:

Mrs. Davis you just don’t know the true story, or any of the details.

• Wanda Malpass says:

This is one of the most respectful comments that I have read so far.

• cmauze says:

Cute nickname. Yes, the beach. I know from personal first-hand experience.

Back in the early 1990’s, on a Friday afternoon I had stopped by a local fishing pier to pick up an acquaintance from where he was scheduled to be working. The acquaintance, who had been temporarily staying with a close friend after having become “down-on-his-luck” incidentally was a troubled individual in his mid-late 20’s, then-recently awaiting sentencing on a DWI and (as we later were to discover) had a history of illegal drug usage, stealing from his family and other petty offenses. We had decided to retrieve him from work, since the previous two weeks his paycheck had mysteriously disappeared by the time he’d gotten home (due to one unlikely circumstance or another); and he was supposed to be working toward getting back up on his feet financially and helping his ex-wife with child support, etc.

Anyway, as I walked up toward the pier house, there was the distinct smell of marijuana smoke coming from a van parked nearby. When I informed the older guy (either the owner or manager) working behind the inside counter of what I’d witnessed, suggesting that he might want to contact the local police to come and check it out, he went off on me: “Well, hold ON there now, young lady—that’s quite a serious accusation to be making! Do you have any *proof*?” etc. His response went from amused, to defensive, to intimidating, implying that the local law enforcement knew all about it and weren’t concerned; and that I should “mind [my] own business.”

I didn’t press the issue, sensing that he not only knew what was going on but was probably involved in it in some capacity. After all, if he were a fine, upstanding, law-abiding businessman, why not just call the cops and let them make the decision? In all likelihood my acquaintance was probably among those inside the van, as he was nowhere to be found and the manager/owner gave no clue as to his whereabouts.

Now probably some of you reading this are thinking either, “Marijuana? Wow, big deal!” or wondering why I didn’t later report the incident to law enforcement on my own. Well, I guess you would’ve had to have been there; but I definitely felt threatened. It wasn’t so much what the guy said as *how* he said it—his body posture and vocal inflection. In fact, for months and even years afterwards, we would briefly run into each other in some public place or other and he’d pointedly comment, “I know who YOU are! I remember *you*…” as if warning me not to interfere.

The above anecdote is not to imply that all beach cops are dirty. I have no personal experience with that. But I do recall that some time after this incident, during a casual, brief meeting one of them (same beach jurisdiction) copped an attitude because I’d unknowingly addressed him as “Officer” instead of “Sargeant,” as if to imply I’d deliberately declined to show him proper respect. Like the general public is expected to recognize subtle differences between the badge or uniform. I regret not getting his name.

But seriously, AmusedOne, you don’t think our coastal waterways are a ripe area for drug-related and other organized crime? Many of the homes, especially on the waterfront are short-term rentals (or vacant nowadays, due to skyrocketing insurance and property tax rates). You’ve got tourists (and those pretending to be vacationers) coming in and leaving all the time. In addition, not all beach areas are being actively monitored, even during daytime hours. The boats can quietly come in at night with their navigational lights off, make their “drop” and leave without ever being seen by the coast guard—probably similar to what happened the night Bald Head Island police officer Davina Buff Jones was shot in the head. Grease the right palms, and the drug dealers have carte blanche to come and go as they please; with an implied understanding that they “keep a low profile” so that law enforcement can look the other way.

He stripped himself of the honor he earned as sheriff, by the crimes he committed. In spite of that, he didn’t deserve to die.

• PHW says:

There is only one that knows or will ever know the truth, God is the final judge here, prayers are much needed here, for his family,friends and love ones I am sure.

• rhwebaster says:

To all of us, including myself, Ronald Hewett touched, I offer the below website in rememberance and celebration of the life of RONALD E. HEWETT

• Enkidu says:

Unfortunately, Lonetraveler, your statement make way too much sense. Can we expect much to come from the SBI investigation? I know they are supposed to be politically independent from local sheriffs. Let’s hope we get all the facts.

I love the way you have tried to paint Ron as a victim. He is a victim only to himself and the choices he made. He may have paid his debt but not in full. Being a felon comes with restrictions he had to abide by and he chose not to do so. He lost his honor, nobody else did that to him.

• Theresa says:

I am willing to bet that Ronald was being taunted. I said all along that a tape will not appear and it does not have audio.
    I would love to know the “Judas” that Ronald trusted-and believe me there were few, that turned him in. We have the right to face our accuser-who accused Ronald? His life as well as his family’s life was threatened. What would anyone of us do in the very same situation???
    Just because he had weapons in his home does not mean the warrant was a good warrant based on facts. The facts were he did have weapons in the privacy of his own home. WHO turned him in to have a possible warrant that may have been based on hearsay.
    This man was crucified in life, please let him regain his dignity and honor in death.
    Until we meet again my friend……..

His crimes weren’t deserving of death.

• Janey says:

yea, ignorant vindictive people judging those who had any authority over them.

• Janey says:

Amazing how WECT and WWAY Now pretend like they weren’t ring leaders in the sensationalized feeding frenzy that brought about Ron Hewett’s demise. Why don’t they go after a cocain smuggler or something? Because they aren’t interested in real justice but only TV ratings, in their pathetic little hometown neck of the woods. Atleast go to the beaches where you probably have organized crime right under your nose but too ignorant or ill equipped to handle it.

• mel per says:

first, i am praying for Rons family. very sorry for this tragedy, on the other hand you do reap what you sow. because of Mr. Hewetts actions when he was sheriff, many other suspicious things happened that caused the lives of others. he was drunk on several calls that he responded to, and made a decision that more than likely caused a father, brother his life. these facts are on line, so i know it is the truth, but,God is the only one who can judge anyone.

• Bill O'Brien says:

How do you know that he was in his cell when this happened? How do you know that he was handcuffed when it happened? I understand that there are a load of people who support Hewett and he has reached near godlike status over the years. Here is the thing though, unless you were in the jail yesterday and watched what happened, you are just making crap up as you go along in order to stir the pot.

I do not understand how or why the ATFm decided to go after Hewett. It was my understanding that he had the right to own a firearm after his conviction and it was due simply to the fact that one of the guns he owned was manufactured in Massachusetts. This hardly seemed enough to necessitate the response it did.

I have it from reliable resources that upwards of 40 tactical federal officers descended upon his home to issue the warrant. My question is: WHY HIM AND WHY NOW?

It is no secret that Hewett knew a great deal of information that could get a lot of influential people in trouble. He didn’t get that information because he was a great Christian man. He got that information because he was complicit in a lot of the acts he held secret. I know that when he got busted the first time there was a great bit of fear going around that he was going to spill the beans in order to cop a plea bargain. He didn’t do it though.

So, this begs the million dollar question again: WHY HIM AND WHY NOW? We will likely only ever be able to speculate as to what happened. Could it be that he made threats to come clean with the secrets he was holding onto? God knows that he could stand to make a pretty penny off the Davina Buffs case alone.

There is a lot that is yet to be discovered and the story will be juicy enough without people making crap up as we go along. Be patient.

• lonetraveler says:

Well, first there needs to be another jurisdiction used in the investigation of this case. Not anyone connected to the New Hanover County sheriff’s department, no one involved with Brunswick County sheriff’s department, no one involved with the State of NC at all.

• Dot Schuck says:

Let me see now, this man was in a cell, certainly with the doors locked, and he needed to be tased – excuse me for being stupid, but what the —- did he need tasing for. The people in charge need to be forthcoming quickly with explanations about Ron’s death. I as everyone else, have heard the rumors, but if Ron was in need of medical attention, I fail to see how a taser gun could fix that. What was wrong with taking him to a facility to get medical attention.

• zenobia says:

They got him on a convoluted Interstate Commerce charge that is usually used to trap pot growers
    Then he DIES while in custody? What is going on here?!?

• don wrong says:

Oh yeah there is a law suit brewing here and a lot of C.Y.A going on at that County Jail.

• lonetraveler says:

Maybe you need to get informed on the entire story here. Kindly look up Colcor and Investigation Gateway to learn about the history of these two areas. 34 government officials arrested in this investigation. Of course the very top of the heap were found not guilty but the legacy lives on. How do you think a young, inexperienced man was elected sheriff? He was helped by the very individuals who were indicted several years ago. I guess payback can be hell. Hewett knew way too much.

• Sandy Hardee says:

Where, in this article does it say that at the time he was tased, he needed medical attention? You get bits and pieces of information, but not the whole situation and most of you have made the whole story up how you see it and deem law enforcement as the bad guys? So I guess now there are a bunch of psychics running around. I stand amazed. Judge not. Would be nice if people could sit back and wait for the results of the investigation before deciding you all know what happened!!! The Hewett Family are grieving for the loss of their loved one. How about just lifting them in prayer, that they get the answers they need and they are surrounded by God’s comfort and peace!!! God Bless you all!!

• Sick of the conclusion jumpers says:

Wow, can’t wait for the actual results? The news outlet sucks! Please lift this FAMILY in prayer and allow God to handle The rest! It’s his family who is hurting right now! Jeez! Give it a rest! I agree with you 100% amazed!

• Judy C Cox says:

You couldnt have said it any better..I knew Ron personally ack when he was a deputy and I ran EMS he was always a very nice guy to me and was always a great deputy…on scenes we would go to ” If Ron said the scene was secure for EMS to go in then you could take that to the bank and cash is ! I never saw, heard etc him do anything wrong…just saying he was a wonderful person to me..and Im not the one to JUDGE anyone that is not my job …

• Bye Bye Bad Guys says:

Sandy,

The reason we can pass judgment is because we are familiar with not only the law enforcement agency involved, but also the SBI, the organization performing the investigation; which is only an extension of the agency who did the tazing. We also pass judgment because if there was wrongdoing, the statements given to investigators will be rehearsed statements they were told to say.

I do hope and pray for peace for the Hewett family. I also hope you and others can see beyond badges equaling good, honest cops and add the need for good government to your prayer list.

• Grand Ole Party says:

You have been watching way toooo much TV. Ronald Hewett had nothing to do with Colcor nor the Capt. Tom investigation. It was before his time. This is not a drawn out conspiracy from back in the 80’s Grow up. Hewett didn’t know a damn thing and neither do you.

• Native Born says:

You are correct in the vast amount of corruption that was alleged to have occurred in our county, involving many of the law enforcement personnel. However you are totally off track as to Ronald’s involvement en the disgraceful occurrence. Genre was appointed a deputy the car was out of the bag, and the Feds had already decided who was being charged with,when, and how many county.The entire incidence.was an embarrassment to every branch of law enforcement community. He offenders were treated completely opposite of Ronald. The large scale drug trafficking resulted in many lost law enforcement positions, and in a few cases short prison sentencing and some forfeitures of some property. However, a members political status didn’t matter as he was re_elected to office, and has a very lucrative business! These were not victimless crimes. Those drugs probably destroyed hundreds, if not thousands prOVED. RONALD HAD NO involvement in that black eye.

• guest9999 says:

Ronald was still basically a baby during that time. Just getting starting in law enforcement and building our D.A.R.E. Program in his early days in the mid 80’s. Everybody that lived in this area in the 70-80’s knew what was going on in Brunswick County and you didn’t have to be involved or in law enforcement. It wasn’t hid that well.

• Guest 6969696969 says:

Were you there either? I was mighty right close, I knew a few of the Smugglers, (and some of the familes)… personally..
    The same ole, is STILL Is going on TO THIS VERY DAY….

• Unknow1234 says:

He would have been in housing unit tango uniform if you read previous articles. From what I know these units are 23/1 units. He would have not been out with other inmates and would have been only person in the cell as there is only one person per cell in these housing units. Now I don’t blame anyone and want to know the facts but I smell some gaps on timings. When was he sent to medical when was CPR started since a friend said he went into cardiac arrest on wect page. When was the real medic brought in instead of the basic nurse assistants that are in the jail it nurses with limited equipment. Again things just don’t adds up looking at facts from departments and friends I feel for the hewett family and send my thoughts but as public citizen and concerned one we need to know the answers to sobe of these questions

• jhank max says:

We have all done our share of the good,bad and the ugly…u do not kick a man when he’s down and the bible says judge not less ye be judge in the same manner. No one deserves to fire like that it’s not funny or entertaining.Apparently he had served his time and was being harassed. Yes you do reap what you sow and that goes for us all but it shouldn’t be at the hand of man. I pray that like any other case the truth be revealed and handled appropriate,this could have been anyone and r are all someones child,brother,sister ect….I pray that Good grants then peace,clarity and justice. He wasn’t all good but he wasn’t all bad either.

• Jason Gore says:

Does anyone know if the rumor regarding the witness has been substantiated? I heard from a credible source in law enforcement that former Columbus Sheriff Batten was involved. Hewett was a good man. He’s proven that none of us are perfect. It is sad to see these negative writers as the old analogy rings true. Many years of good is easily forgotten over an hour of bad.

• winkie says:

How did thy know that he had those.. well after all it is BRUNSWICK COUNTY.. And that’s where everybody worries about everybody’s business but their own. Which also they all sing like they r in a choir.. JUST REMEMBER KARMA IS A BIT_ _.. uWHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND…. BUT TO HIS FAMILY I’M REALLY SORRY AND I WILL KEEP U IN MY PRAYERS..

• Enkidu says:

Or he knew he had enemies and really needed that 38 in his bedside table.

• PublicAvenger says:

I would love to see the Feds come down hard on the next drug dealing, gangster, felon, thug, caught possessing a gun, not made in NC.

Some of these thugs get arrested 3X a year, robbing, and dealing dope, with guns. And the Feds, and the courts, just keep turning a blind eye.

Ronald’s life fell apart, six years ago. Those guns probably made him feel a symbol of better times. A sad reminder of the authority, and responsibility he had. He had no intention of hurting anyone else, or using them. He was saving a little pride. (And I’m not saying he was right.)

Instead of ten years in prison. A month in jail, a fine, and probation, would have been far more fitting. And a lot more then the ‘Slap On The Wrist’, given to the dope dealing thugs.

RIP Ronald Hewitt.

That page has no interest in justice. It is only interested in yes-men to fuel the flame. The interest of justice can only be served if all sides of an issue are explored, not just the side that you are on and since the page does not allow any “negativity”, then one has to assume, you are only interested in a resolution that supports your desired outcome.

• Concerned Citizen says:

For anyone who don’t know please like on FB!!!

• Guesteasy says:

Justice? Dang boy the facts aren’t even out yet? What justice do you want? All the conspiracy theorists in one place, denying this fool ever did anything wrong? No thanks.

• Charles Walters says:

Icon? Ron Hewett was,is,and always be a dirty cop.

• whitewash says:

When I used the word icon it was with this definition;someone who is very famous and who people think represents a particular idea. Like many, I do not know Mr. Hewett or have any opinions of him. The point I was making is if Mr. Hewett died at the hands of the police, I guess the general public knows where they stand.

• Charles Walters says:

Thanks for clearing that up. Point taken.

• whitewash says:

This has been going on for a while, crooked lawyers, judges that are put in power by corruption, police who brutalize and murder. The difference this time is they went after an icon, when they go after an icon this big, it is a wake up call. We need a good list of all the things that are going on around here. The police cannot seem to stay out of the news, really the media is sending out these stories, they need to get a list together, I wonder if people are afraid to speak up, when you see this kind of stuff going on, the whistle blowers may come to harm. Perhaps even the media is fearful, these stories do not seem to stay in the paper for long.

• Lola says:

First, my heart and prayers go out to a mother who has lost her child. Regardless of how this turns out, her life will never be the same. No mother wants to have to bury her child, especially if it could have been prevented. That being said, I think the circumstances surrounding Ron’s death are very suspect to say the least. Just the fact that he was being taken out of his cell for a visit with his mother when this supposedly happened makes no sense. No one in jail is going to act out when they are entitled to a visit, especially when it is someone you want to see, like your mother. Not to mention, if proper protocol was followed and he was being removed from his cell, he should have been in handcuffs while being transported to the visitation area. Something is definitely wrong with this scenario. More so, because he was a former sheriff and public figure, additional safety measures should have been in place. There’s no doubt corruption is everywhere now a days. However, covering corruption with more corruption is counter productive. Hopefully, a full and honest investigation will get to the bottom of this tragedy. I pray that God will comfort his family during their time of need and will allow the truth to unfold giving his family some understanding of how this happened. Prayers being lifted up for you all and my deepest condolences from one mother to another. Godspeed on your journey, Ron, rest in peace.

• Native of Brunswick Co says:

I am a photojournalist who is a native Brunswick County resident my entire life. His mom was a teacher of mine also. Seriously considering researching a investigative documentary on the rise and fall of Ronald Hewett. I am neutral either way but I have to say this is seriously fishy. Maybe a good local documentary could uncover some truths here. Anyone agree???

• guest69696969 says:

You bring this up after the Death of a Local Icon? Dear Whitewash, there Have been SEVERAL Deaths at the Hands of Police in New Hanover & Brunswick Couties, Over the years,( I’m forgetting Columbis also).. While Folks were being Held, waiting for Trial,Or serving Short sentances,Since, I’ve grown up here.. MOST deaths caused under DUBIOUS circumstances or Causes…
    So your just now waking up to this fact?

To the other poster wanting to make that “Documentary” While Doing so, don’t forget people that May of known for Ronald Hewett His Alledged Drug running Operation(s). There are people out there that can attest to “facts”, Or have seen & heard of quite a bit of His operation(s).. That go back BEFORE RH got Elected, going back into the Early late 70’s & 80’s…(BC Sheriff Strong & ColCor, Operation GATEWAY, et al), that netted several Politicians AND LEO.(Hoyal “Red” Varnum,Steve Varnum, (Brunswick C. Commissioner)Lake Waccamaw LEO, Harold Lowery, Judge J. Wilton Hunt,State Rep. G. Ronald Taylor, Senator RC Soles, Lt. Governor Jimmy Green, AND a assorted cast of characters right out of some southern horror flick. )… Many of these were from the Long time Various Family names from the area(s) in & around SENC, THEY, (a few NOT all), were Major Drug runners back in the day, and Still contuniue to this DAY.. Everything from BRIBES, Kick-backs, to the person found Murdered in a full sized van With several pounds of Marijuana on/off 133,Ortan Plantion,(still un-solved),Thomas Summer(son-in Law to then Sheriff John Carr Davis), to Several full sized u-haul trucks loaded with tons of Marijuana,(Busted because of a Flat Tire), to Kilos of Cocaine.To rumors of Mysterious un-lit Planes flying Low, up though (at tree-top level)Lockwood folly inlet once a month.. To another “Rumor” RH’s “people” busted some heads on a SouthPort Dock, on a commerical Fishing boat, stealing the Coke, that was smuggled to the Dock there, from off-shore.. Including the Still unsolved Murder of Davina Buff Jones, From a Drug Smuggling Plan or efforts gone wrong or astray, As She was un-intentional Collateral damage, When she showed up on the Scene of a un-folding Drug Operation. Not countin of course His, (RH) Alledged Prescription Drug abuse… Though I Digress..
    Skeletons…..
    Folks, Yes Ronald “Hollywood” Hewett May of been a “Good Man” to Most of the Folks in Brunswick County, though the Criminal Element got to Him, as Power & Money Corrupts.. There still ARE, Many skeletons buried in & around Brunswick County, Columbis County, AND of course New Hanover, That PLENTY of Folks don’t want to be found. I have NO DOUBT that Ronald was making noise,(knowing where Most or ALL those Skeletons are Buried) & trying to extort someone(s) for cash, leading to His Warrent and subsequent arrest and Death. Most of you saw the RH as a Strong charismatic leader. No doubt, He was that.. Yes He “Batteled crime”. Though He also was Part of it… Though, to His Family & Dear Friends, I Do offer My Condolances.He will or is facing The Ulimate Court, Before Our Lord, *GOD*.

To his Enemies, Dead Men Tale No Tales..

• we must see through this says:

I do not know nor do I have any opinions of Mr. Hewett…. nor will I ever. But I do know one thing, his death is unacceptable and wrong. No one should die in our jails like this. I don’t care what this man ever did or what someone thought he might was going to do. If he had bad health or a bad heart, his death is still unacceptable. If anyone accepts his death as normal procedure and no one is at fault, and there is nothing wrong here, then you are part to blame for his death, and by doing so you are giving up our rights and making this country a horrible place to live. When you are part of a system that gives the police this kind of green light, there will be more inhumane treatment and more deaths to come, this is just the beginning. This man did no wrong and dies at the hands of the police, he should not have been in jail to start with and he should have never been mixed with other criminals given his status. For God’s sake what is happening in our country, right under our noses, are we no more civilized then this?

• lori says:

ron died around 2:00 but then the call to 911 went out at 2:57 saying that they had a sucidial inmate to 911 and didnt say who they were and thought there age was 40 years old and were still breathing .how does this make sense they knew who he was.somebody had alot to cover in that hour.where was sheriff ed mamchon while this was going on he was suppose to be one of ronalds good friends. ed machman needs to resign for obstructing justice.he cant even run his own jail much less the county.at least ronald could run his jail and his county.

• Ouida Hewett says:

Thanks. God bless you

• Bye Bye Bad Guys says:

No one but public officials and members of law enforcement will understand and/or believe this, but law enforcement in this part of the state cannot be trusted. Therefore, when public officials, current and past cops are detained, they need to be transferred to another jurisdiction, not just a neighboring county.

This is sad, disgusting and devastating. Our law enforcement is allowed to continually retaliate on individuals (public officials and law) as they deem necessary and allow criminal wrongdoings by current bad cops. When are they going to be held accountable?

• joe says:

I work for the nc dot in shallotte for four and a half years in the early 90’s. when I was asked about Brunswick County I describe it as the following at the time North Carolina ranked in the bottom five in SAT scores and Brunswick County had the worst scores in North Carolina. Enough said very backward County very backward leadership I was glad to get out of Brunswick County

• howard light says:

You keep posting all over the media pages, about what the deal is with the charges, and you are SO wrong. Possession of a firearm by a felon is both on a state and federal level. That means YOU CANNOT POSSESS A FIREARM. Unless you are in your house (and still a judge can strip even that right), you CANNOT POSSESS A FIREARM. Where are you coming up with the manufacture of the firearm’s state? Quit being a jailhouse lawyer and really inform yourself.

• Guesteasy says:

“indicted for a felony” ? Try CONVICTED. Anyone who has been convicted of a felony is banned by federal law from ever possessing “any firearm or ammunition.” Specifically a person “convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year” cannot possess any firearm in any location. 18 U.S.C. 922(g) is the federal law that prohibits anyone ever convicted of any felony to ever possess any firearm either inside or outside of his home. The federal punishment for felon gun possession is up to 10 years in prison. AND HE KNEW IT.

• BillyStanley says:

“This person (indicted for a felony or has a felony information filed against him) has restrictions placed on his firearms activity. He may continue to lawfully possess the firearms and ammunition he already has, but may not ship or take them across State lines and may not acquire more firearms or ammunition affecting interstate commerce: § 922 (n), 5 years.”

He was brought in because one of his weapons was manufactured in another state.