Brunswick County Schools superintendent leaving next summer

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 07/16/2014 - 1:44am
Updated: Wed, 07/16/2014 - 5:34pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — There are big changes coming to Brunswick County schools.

Superintendent Edward Pruden announced his intentions to leave Brunswick County Schools after the 2014-2015 school year in an email sent to WWAY.

“I came to Brunswick County in 2010 with a four year contract and was pleasantly surprised when the Board gave me a two-year extension in 2012,” Pruden wrote in an e-mail to administrative staff last night. “As you know, all three of our children and only grandchild live in Richmond, and we are expecting our second grandchild in October. It is an honor and privilege to serve as superintendent of Brunswick County Schools. I look forward to working with you during the coming year to continue our journey of improving the educational experiences we provide our students.”

• teacher says:

He never returned calls or emails from a concerned parent/teacher! Just hides behind spokesperson!

• 1122121 says:

Well now maybe they will hire an outside person the he/she will get rid of some of the Executive Directors. Pruden has almost as many Excutive Directors than he has teachers! Executive Director of Quality Control, really???????? I would love to know all of the Exucutive Directors salaries just to see how many teachers we could hire. I know Pruden came from Virginia, but we need to look outside the county. No Meadow’s please! Pruden has set up a team of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. He is a master delegator!!

• Jennifer Cooper says:

Rather see Coooke go!

• Du says:

I wish he wouldn’t wait to leave. Indecision and fabricated reasoning are what I’ve see from him. A school administrator needs to look at what is best for the children, period. I do not believe he has done that, nor do I believe the Board has faithfully executed their duties. If a traditional schedule is best for the children, and desired by the parents, they need to make firm, difficult decisions to make that happen.

• Louise says:

Dr. Pruden just implemented the scattered schedule along with our board of education members, AND the votes of parents and guardians in the county. It was not his decision alone. Give the man a break. He has done a lot for our schools. Look at the statistics. Maybe you should do your homework before you slander a good man!

• guest1026-0702 says:

and leave THIS school year? At least when we had Katie McGee she didn’t go back and forth with this staggered school schedule; it’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen! He sucks!

You can blame your inept school board for that one.

Katie McGee was no prize either. I think that Brunswick County needs to be more choosy in voting for the school board. They haven’t done a very good job with hiring superintendents. We need to keep the board members who look out for the kids and get rid of the ones that have an agenda.

• Darlene says:

This Superintendent has hurt Brunswick County Schools and
    has not helped the unemployment rate as well. But he does not stand alone. The Board of
    Education has helped with this issue as well
    Let me explain .

West Brunswick had a great Health Occupations
    Teacher and was qualified for the job and had no
    Issues with her evaluations but they wanted an RN
    They knew her crediatials when they hired her.
    But they hired an RN out of state !!!!!
    Another county picked up the Teacher they let
    Go and she is doing outstanding!!!!
    You see you do not have to be an RN!!!
    West Brunswick had an RN at the time this teacher
    Was there her name is Sheila Gerald , so why didn’t
    They keep the teacher and have Ms Gerald to do
    Their precious CNA. This would have saved us tax payers money
    And decrease our unployment rating. The teacher who had to leave
    And work in another county , who our children at West
    Brunswick loved was Mrs King . She still has her family in Brunswick county
    Where they have lived for over 20 years!!!
    I’m a parent with a BIG mouth and I hope he and the
    Board do something right before next year by inviting
    Mrs King back!!!!

They need to change the CTE department and
    Get a great teacher back !!!!

I don’t blame him one bit. I can’t believe he put up with our idiotic Board of Education as long as he did.

I am glad to see him go.