Video released of UNCW seahawk statue theft

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 08/20/2014 - 3:57pm
Updated: Wed, 08/20/2014 - 5:58pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — UNCW Police have released security camera footage of the July theft of a seahawk statue on campus. They also announced that Crime Stoppers of the Cape Fear is offering a reward for information about the theft or for the return of the statue.

Police say the security camera footage shows three white males, believed to be between 18 and 22 years old, approaching and forcibly removing the bronze seahawk statue from in front of Warwick Center. The theft was discovered on the morning of Saturday, July 5.

The bronze Seahawk was mounted on a granite base and was broken off near the bird’s feet. The commissioned statue was valued at $70,000 in 2003.

Crime Stoppers is offering a reward commensurate with the quality of information received.

If you have information, call UNCW Police Department at (910) 962-2222. To submit a tip anonymously, go to the UNCW Police Department’s webpage or call Crime Stoppers at (800) 531-9845.

• Travis Beatty says:

Sorrys I cant constirctions sentensences so good….spellllings aint so goods neither. Guess my 100k wents to waste. Glad their are people liek you to points it out

• Travis P Beatty says:

If thats the case then I stand corrected. I love UNCW and have nothing but fond memories of my time there. It just irked me to see the amount of money spent on that statue (granted it was in 2003) when tuition hikes were a regular occurrence for past and current students. I hope the statue gets returned to its proper location.

• Travis Beatty says:

Panties un-wadded

• Travis Beatty says:

I went to UNCW and love that school, but $70,000 for a statue of our mascot is crazy! Every semester my tuition went up while attending UNCW and they told us the state was ‘cutting’ funding. Yet we have a $70,000 paper weight that can easily get stolen by 3 drunks…tell me I am not the only one who is just as upset about the cost of the Seahawk Statue than the theft alone.

• taxpayer says:

Now where’s your school spirit Travis? ;) I hope you are equally upset at the salary paid to their former basketball coach. If salaries were based upon wins & losses, their baseball coach would be the highest paid coach there…but he isn’t.

I agree with you…$70k for a massive paperweight is a bit much.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

IF you finished and got a degree, I’d say you spent over 100K and still can’t properly construct a sentence without errors. So, don’t whine so much about others wasting money at UNCW!

At least that bronze statue still has value value.

• Barry says:

The University did not pay for either of the SeaHawk statues on campus. They were commissioned by benefactors one being the Belk Foundation if memory serves right. These pieces of art did not cause any tuition hikes or added cost to the students, they were a gift. So before you get your panties in a wad, find out what you are complaining about. If you still don’t like it, complain more or simply get over it.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

The statue was VALUED at $70,000. That’s just what it was worth when they appraised it in 2003. Also, I believe the statue was donated by the Alumni Association years ago, not purchased by the school.